Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Which Size Alloy Rim Should I Choose?
2.15-18 Alloy Rim to Match the Yamaha XT225 Rear Wheel 5 27.78%
1.60-21 Alloy Rim for Weight Reduction and Trail Worthiness 12 66.67%
1.85-18 Alloy Rim for Slightly Greater Weight Reduction 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUG
I too have a Hsun. Already had these picture, not sure if they will help.
Indeed, they did help! Thank you, Bug. By any chance, do you have a picture of the speedometer sender unit, on the right side of the front wheel?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #32

spud the apollo is strictly a dirt bike and has no speedometer and i think that would be the hardest problem to make something that works although it could be overcome fairly easy btw i see this as a grass is greener project i have noticed the lifan owners putting street tires zong owners wanting rough tires etc. but i would be the first, given the time to do the same thing. while we are on the subject i have a question since they have been backordered,and still are, do the dual sport tires from zong preform well enough? would you mind giving a quick reveiw of them
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 06-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUG
Indeed, they did help! Thank you, Bug. By any chance, do you have a picture of the speedometer sender unit, on the right side of the front wheel?

Spud
This is the best i can come up with. I sold the Hsun yesterday. I left the pictures big so you could see the detail, the pin on the right side of the fork on the inside holds the speedometer thing from spinning.

Thank you, Bug! I downloaded your images and received the full detail. I then downsized the images, and reposted them.

Spud

Old 06-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUG
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUG

Spud
This is the best i can come up with. I sold the Hsun yesterday. I left the pictures big so you could see the detail, the pin on the right side of the fork on the inside holds the speedometer thing from spinning.
Thank you, Bug. Did you get another motorcycle? If not, are you planning to get another bike?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUG
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUG

Spud
Thank you, Bug. Did you get another motorcycle? If not, are you planning to get another bike?

Spud

Picked up a new KLR on Thursday. I put the Hsun on Craigslist to see if i would get any responce, it sold in less than 24hrs.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
You going to put some Enzo forks on also, Might help with the tire swap . Bet ones for a Yammie would fit. Or even some stock Yamaha ones
No, I am too frugal (i.e., cheap) to purchase Enzo forks for the Zong. The original Zong forks are large, robust, and work superbly. I am going to get an FMF Power Core 2 silencer, and an alloy rim for the front wheel; I don't have plans for any other major modifications to my Zong.

Including the cost of the Yamaha XT225 swingarm conversion, I paid $1,200 for my Zong. I also paid $238 in shipping costs. My Zong has always been a good street bike; it is now also a good trail bike. As of today, I have traveled 12,000 miles on my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 motorcycle; I consider this bike to be an exception value.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUG
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUG
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUG

Spud

Spud
Picked up a new KLR on Thursday. I put the Hsun on Craigslist to see if i would get any responce, it sold in less than 24hrs.
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your new motorcycle! Please post some photos in the "Other Stuff" forum; I would enjoy seeing your new bike. Also, please don't leave these forums. We enjoy having you as a member, and you have a lot of valuable knowledge to share with others.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-22-2009, 03:14 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
spud the apollo is strictly a dirt bike and has no speedometer and i think that would be the hardest problem to make something that works although it could be overcome fairly easy…
I think you’re right, Phil. The problems could be overcome. How much does the Apollo hub, brake rotor, rim and spokes cost?

I went trail riding the last two days to test the Zong’s improved handling, suspension, traction and weight reduction. I am very pleased with the results. Trails that were challenging before the swingarm conversion are now much easier to negotiate.
Quote:
…btw i see this as a grass is greener project i have noticed the lifan owners putting street tires zong owners wanting rough tires etc. but i would be the first, given the time to do the same thing…
I noticed the same phenomenon! However, I think the dual sport tires offer the most versatility. I love to ride around town, and I love to go riding on the secondary roads. In addition, the dual sport tires give me the traction I need to go exploring whenever I encounter an interesting trail.
Quote:
… while we are on the subject i have a question since they have been backordered,and still are, do the dual sport tires from zong preform well enough? would you mind giving a quick reveiw of them
Yes, the Kingstone dual sport tires do a good job for me on the rocky trails in Idaho; however, they do less well in the mud. Overall, I think they perform very well. Also, they wear like iron. My Kingstone 130/90-15 rear tire lasted a good 7,000 miles before the tread started to disappear. My Kingstone 100/90-18 front tire is still in fairly good condition after 12,000 miles! The Kingstone tires are well suited to the Zong’s capabilities. Indeed, the Kingstone tires performed very well for several riders who traveled all over China and Mongolia; they never complained of either poor traction or tire failure. I consider the Kingstone dual sport tires a good value.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #39

if you were to send me a pm we could work a deal on the rim
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 06-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #40

Quote:
if you were to send me a pm we could work a deal on the rim
I have sent you a pm, my friend.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #41

i do know much about wheels and hubs so all i can say is
that is 1 nice bike
how does it handle off road (as i have heard zongs are heavy)
and also my lifanoid has a 21 front with a different speedo drive fancy some pics lol

Old 06-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithyUK
i do know much about wheels and hubs so all i can say is
that is 1 nice bike …
Thank you, Smithy.
Quote:
…how does it handle off road (as i have heard zongs are heavy)
and also my lifanoid has a 21 front with a different speedo drive…
Indeed, in stock form the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is heavy for its size. However, my Zong lost 12 pounds with this Yamaha XT225 swingarm conversion. Most significantly, my Zong lost 7.5 pounds at the rear wheel! I have detailed the component weight loss in another thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...r=asc&start=30

My YamaZong XT200GY-2 now handles much better on the trails. I am very pleased with the results from this swingarm conversion. However, I lack the off-road experience to fairly compare my YamaZong XT200GY-2 motorcycle’s trail performance versus other motorcycles. My friend Andy has been riding trail bikes for many years. I am going to ask him to ride my Zong and evaluate its trail performance the next time we go riding together off-road.
Quote:
…fancy some pics lol
I notice that I have neglected to post some photos of my Zong without the J.C. Whitney travel trunk. Here are a few photos I took the last several days; I hope you enjoy them.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
I even had one during the civil war!
Would that be the recent American unpleasantness or the English civil war - 1641 as in my case?..............

Frog

Old 07-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #44

Here is the latest information regarding the wheels and tires on my YamaZong XT200GY-2 motorycycle.

My current tires and wheels are shown in this photograph I took yesterday, while riding in the beautiful mountains of Idaho. Fortunately, I managed to avoid the rainfall shown in the distance.

Based upon the recommendation of others, and my experience with a very similiar Dunlop D752 tire, I bought a Kenda K760 Trakmaster tire in size 100/100-18 for the YamaZong’s rear wheel. At first, this tire was a little squirrelly on the street. However, after breaking it in for several hundred miles, it now handles very well on the street. I like this tire very much, and I got it for a great price from Rocky Mountain ATV. This tire fits the Yamaha XT225 swingarm with room to spare, and it does not rub the chain guard. If you will notice, my Zongshen chain guard fits the Yamaha XT225 swingarm very well; I did not need to purchase a Yamaha chain guard after my swingarm conversion.

The stock Yamaha XT225 rear sprocket has 45 teeth. However, I purchased, and installed, a Sunstar 50-tooth rear sprocket, shown in this photograph. This 50-tooth rear sprocket works very well with a 13-tooth, PBI countershaft sprocket installed up front.

My Kingstone 100/90-18 front tire was finally worn out after 13,000 miles, so I replaced it with a Cheng Shin C858, 3.50-18 tire shown in this photograph. I like this tire a lot, but I have also purchased a lighter, Shinko 244 tire in size 3.00-18. I will soon mount the Shinko tire to the Zong's front wheel; after riding on it for a few miles, I will post my impressions regarding it.

I am still pondering my decision regarding the new alloy rim for the YamaZong’s front wheel. If you have not done so already, please cast your vote and help me make my decision.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
I even had one during the civil war!
Would that be the recent American unpleasantness or the English civil war - 1641 as in my case?..............
Frog
I can't speak for TRW, but I was referring to the recent American unpleasantness of 1861-1865, also known as "The War Between the States."

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220