Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Which Size Alloy Rim Should I Choose?
2.15-18 Alloy Rim to Match the Yamaha XT225 Rear Wheel 5 27.78%
1.60-21 Alloy Rim for Weight Reduction and Trail Worthiness 12 66.67%
1.85-18 Alloy Rim for Slightly Greater Weight Reduction 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #16

A 21 would look right and work right in the dirt with no downside on pavement. It would also restore the normal frame geometry, hoping the Chinese copied the Japanese on that as well. I've ridden 18's in the dirt and for my limited abilities the 21 is better.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #17

Having owned several different CB's I can say without a doubt that the QLink is a league of it's own in quality. As good as the Suzuki it is cloned from. No excuses. Only thing they need is regearing for the street.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Having owned several different CB's I can say without a doubt that the QLink is a league of it's own in quality. As good as the Suzuki it is cloned from. No excuses. Only thing they need is regearing for the street.
Thank you for your input, Doc.

Yes, the QLink is a very nice motorcycle. I believe you owned the QLink XF200, with the 110/70-17 and 130/70-17 tires. I imagine the bike handled very well. Did you ever take it off-road? Incidentally, I would think one has a much more limited selection of dual sport tires fitting a 17-inch rim.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #19

Never off road. It's a streetbike with some dirtbike styling features. If the road was twisty enough, and I was good enough, few other bike/rider combinations could handle as well as that little bike.

I taught 3 new riders on it, and indeed my friend Roger will be taking his test on it soon.

I took it to the Kawasaki/Suzuki/Honda dealership yesterday to look at Ninjas. THREE of the salespeople saw me pull up on the Q (now the GF's bike but I snatch it every now and then 8) ) and were asking me all about it. They thought it was cooler than what they had in the showroom!

Bill

Old 06-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #20

I dont know the exact diameter differences you are going to have but would you be able to find the correct speedo gear to keep your speedometer correct if you change tire diameter. also the lower the profile or sidewall of your tire the stiffer it will ride making bumps harder. also with a spoke wheel the lower profile requires alot truer of a lace job or less runout in the wheels. the low profiles tend to hop and wobble on out of round wheels. well this is my 2 cents hope it helps.
shawn

Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #21

spud i compaired the two rims today same axle diameter i think all you need to do would be to space it out correctly mount the caliper (the rim has a rotor) and figure a speedo, the hub is narrower on the apollo so i say without lots of trouble http://www.entertonement.com/clips/f...-Frankenstein-
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 06-19-2009, 01:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
A 21 would look right and work right in the dirt with no downside on pavement. It would also restore the normal frame geometry, hoping the Chinese copied the Japanese on that as well. I've ridden 18's in the dirt and for my limited abilities the 21 is better.
Doc, I believe you own an Hsun HS200GY motorcycle; am I correct? If so, I believe your bike uses the same front brake caliper as my Zong. Can you post a photo of your front wheel, taken from the left, or caliper side of the wheel? I would like to see the front wheel rotor, and how the brake caliper mounts to the forks, as shown below.

Here is a view from the other side, showing how the brake rotor mounts to the front hub.

Do you think an Hsun HS200GY front wheel will mount on my Zong? Thank you.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-19-2009, 01:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
spud i compaired the two rims today same axle diameter i think all you need to do would be to space it out correctly mount the caliper (the rim has a rotor) and figure a speedo, the hub is narrower on the apollo so i say without lots of trouble http://www.entertonement.com/clips/f...-Frankenstein-
First, thank you for your help, Phil. Second, I love the sound clip from Young Frankenstein!

Phil, can you please tell me which Apollo motorcycle uses the front wheel in question? Also, can you please post a photo of the wheel and rotor? Better yet, can you post a photo of the front wheel mounted on an Apollo motorcycle? I am interested in the views I requested from Doc, in the post above. Thank you.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-19-2009, 01:35 AM   #24

Re: YamaZong XT200GY-2 Front Wheel Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I am just about done modifying my 2006 Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 motorcycle. After riding 500 miles with my Yamaha XT225 swingarm conversion, I could not be happier with the results. Now I have two projects left. I am going to switch to a lighter, FMF Turbine Core 2 silencer, and I am going to get an alloy rim for the front wheel. Therefore, I would like to solicit the opinions of the members of this forum. What size alloy rim should I put on my YamaZong XT200GY-2 motorcycle?

My first option is a 2.15-18 alloy rim. This rim would fit perfectly with the Zong’s current front hub and spokes. If I lace the rim myself, the cost would be approximately $100. I could then continue to use 100mm, or 4.10-18 size tires on the YamaZong’s front wheel, with 120mm, or 4.60-18 size tires in the rear.

I have over 11,000 miles of experience riding with this size tire in the front. This combination works great on the street, and it also works well on loose gravel. I also think this combination renders a nice supermoto look. Although it is the least expensive option, this option would also lose the least amount of weight.

My next option is a conventional, 1.60-21 alloy rim. This rim would probably require custom spokes and lacing from a quality shop, such as Buchanan’s Spoke and Rim, in California.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/

This option would probably make the Zong more trail-worthy, and it would also lose the greatest amount of weight. Also, I would have the largest selection for front tires. However, this conversion would probably cost about $250 (ouch!). Also, this option would eliminate the bike’s supermoto look.

Finally, I could purchase a 1.85-18 alloy rim. This rim would also fit perfectly with the Zong’s current front hub and spokes. This option would lose a little more weight than the 2.15-18 inch rim, but it would also reduce my choices for front tires. Once again, I could lace the wheel myself, and the cost would be about $100.

I am strongly inclined to go with the 2.15-18 rim. However, I would appreciate your input. Please cast your vote, and help me decide.

Spud

A brief message, "IF ONLY this were the bike Zongshen produced originally..." or if it came available with OPTIONS! All hail SPUD!

>> BTW next US Zong Ad campaign?? YOUR'E the team leader... haha
love the pics... this is the bike i wish i could have right away, but hey? Whats the point of getting something at will, we'd never learn if we didn't have to work towards most things in life.

**Edit** SWEET: 50 posts!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:32 AM   #25

Re: YamaZong XT200GY-2 Front Wheel Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welle417
A brief message, "IF ONLY this were the bike Zongshen produced originally..." or if it came available with OPTIONS! All hail SPUD!

>> BTW next US Zong Ad campaign?? YOUR'E the team leader... haha
love the pics... this is the bike i wish i could have right away, but hey? Whats the point of getting something at will, we'd never learn if we didn't have to work towards most things in life.
Thank you for the kind words, Welle. I agree, this is the bike Zongshen should have manufactured. However, you can modify the stock Zong to become this motorcyle.

I wish you a speedy success in getting your new Zong. Until then, here are several more photographs to tide you over. I took these pictures today, in the beautiful Gem State of Idaho.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #26

I too have a Hsun. Already had these picture, not sure if they will help.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #27

Bug beat me to it, but I'll put some pics up tonight after work for you.

Spud, I'm flying to Boise this weekend with my girlfriend to visit a friend. Are you in the area? Maybe we could visit?

Old 06-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #28

spud the wheel i have is from a apollo 250 it looks just like the hsun pictured above, must have come from the same factory i dont have a bike, JUST THE RIMS :wink: knobbie rotor and tube but somehow the tube has been snake bit 8O (it happens even to me) the rotor i have is fancier wavey looking
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 06-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #29

You going to put some Enzo forks on also, Might help with the tire swap . Bet ones for a Yammie would fit. Or even some stock Yamaha ones

Old 06-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #30

Here is a picture from the right side of the Zong’s front wheel, showing the speedometer sending unit.

I am still gathering information, but it appears that mounting a front wheel from another Chinabike could be problematic. The Zong has very large, robust front forks. Also, Phil reported that the Zong’s front hub is larger the Hsun/Apollo variant. I also assume that the Hsun’s speedometer sending unit is different. If someone could post a photo of the Hsun’s speedometer sending unit, I would appreciate it.

Therefore, to mount another Chinabike front wheel, I would need to add spacers on both sides of the narrower hub to center it in the front forks. Then I would need to add spacers to the Zong’s front brake caliper to get it to align with the brake rotor. Even then, the front brake caliper might not get a full bite on the rotor; the Zong’s brake rotor appears to be larger. Finally, I would need to find a way to mount the appropriate speedometer sending unit. When finished, perhaps the structural integrity of the front brake would be compromised.

I doubt that an extra 1.5 inches on the front wheel radius would greatly improve the off-road riding I prefer to do. Therefore, I am still leaning toward the 18-inch alloy rim option. Also, I prefer the looks of the bike with the 18-inch rims. I am not a very aggressive off-road rider; I prefer to ride my Arctic Cat ATV over the very rough terrain (old bones mend slowly).

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7578

However, I am still considering all options. Please continue to give me your input, and please vote in the poll.

P.S. I did tighten that loose spoke!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220