Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 09:55 PM   #1

Vibration (again)

I've been noticing this vibration on my bike here for the last couple of weeks. It feels like my bike did when I first got it. There is some vibration in handle bars, vibration in the footpegs, and can even feel it in the seat. When I rev the engine in neutral, it doesnt do this. It usually happens at higher rpms while cruising down the road, but as the bike warms up it tends to worsen. I have checked all bolts, especially motor mounts, to see what is causing this, and I cant find anything loose. I have also removed the skid plate on the bottom just to see if it was something of that nature. I am hoping it is not a problem inside the engine. Maybe I am overlooking something. I cant distinctly tell exactly where it is coming from b/c it only does this while riding down the road. I want to say that it could be coming from around the front sprocket. I just dont know. Any help out there?
Shea

Old 11-27-2006, 10:53 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to amc31b Send a message via Yahoo to amc31b
I know it's cold now but I know for me, using a thicker oil helped some. I now use 20w-50 in the summer and 15w-40 in the cooler months. If I ride when it gets real cold, like below 40 I may use 10w-40. I am also looking into coating the backs of all the plastics on the bike with black undercoating to help absorb some of the vibes. Other owners have told me that it works. Might be something you should try. :wink:

Old 11-28-2006, 12:36 AM   #3

does it happen high rpm and low speeds? or only when combined with higher speeds? could be wheels or tires.

What happens if you pull in the clutch when you feel the vibration - does it stay or go down once the rpms drop?
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 11-28-2006, 08:42 AM   #4

It Sounds like the exact same problem I was having. The only solution I (and the dealer) could see was a new motor (under warranty ). I was experiencing BAD vibration in 4th, 5th, pull in the clutch, vibration gone. It obviously isn't a wheel bearing, and it wasn't chain and sprockets (I swapped those out). The only thing left is the engine, or more specifically the transmission. Apparently Lifan doesn't 'fix' motors, they simply replace them. Fine by me. It's less work to swap an engine than to tear the tranny guts apart to swap out a bearing.

The engine is still sitting on the floor of my shed but I hope to get to it soon.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 11-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #5

so what's the time limit on returning the old motor to them? even though under warranty do you have to pay to ship it back? (Just curious) --- these things must be so cheap to manufacture for them, one can only imagine the profits they would have if they charged big 4 prices. 8O
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 11-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #6

the vibration I am getting is in all gears. When I pull the clutch, vibration gone. Its not real bad yet, but it seems to slowly be getting worse. I ride this bike every single day 10 miles to school, and 10 miles back home. This morning I really noticed when I was in 5th gear and around 5000 rpms, I gave it gas and it was really vibrating through the handlebars. Like I said before, it feels like I did when I got it 3000kms ago. One thing that I forgot to mention earlier is that I have a missing bolt that holds the rear support for the exhaust. Its only been like that for a week or so. I dont know if that would cause all of the vibration or would it? I am stopping by the store to get a bolt. I'll let ya know if it does anything.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:31 AM   #7

Quote:
so what's the time limit on returning the old motor to them? even though under warranty do you have to pay to ship it back? (Just curious) --- these things must be so cheap to manufacture for them, one can only imagine the profits they would have if they charged big 4 prices.
The bike came with a 6 month parts-only warranty and a time to return the old motor wasn't specified. We each know where the other lives :twisted:

Fortunately my dealer is about 2 miles from my home and we have a good relationship. He gave me the new motor and I'll return the old when I've finished the installation.

Also, I noticed the vibration more in the upper gears but it was present in all of them. Basically, the faster the engine revved in gear the more pronounced the vibration.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 11-28-2006, 11:21 AM   #8

It is my understanding that American Lifan's engine warranty on the engine is 6 months, but I have heard (but don't know it for certain) that if you bought your bike directly from an importer then American Lifan will not honor the warranty and coverage is left up to the importer. In my case I bought from T-motorsports, who has a warranty period of only 30 days. Something to keep in mind.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheadouglas
the vibration I am getting is in all gears. When I pull the clutch, vibration gone.
Cool - a few more questions:
1. if you pull the clutch and keep the rpms up does it still vibrate?
2. when you let the clutch back out does it start vibrating again right away?
3. does your bike hop or lurch when you first put it in gear from nuetral?
4. have you experienced it while off-road (say in a field or on a gravel road)

It very well could be in the tranny, but just fishing for more details. :wink:
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 11-28-2006, 08:58 PM   #10

Not sure if it would relate to your problem but my old KLR would shake a bit if the valves were out of spec. It also had a cam chain that would add to the vibrations if it wasn't snugged up.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
Shea,

Hate to hear that this has come up, but if you feel that that it is a motor internal issue, I believe you may have a little time to get Lifan to replace this engine. I just PM'd you about what to look for and I will look into this further in the morning. Can't remember the exact date of purchase, but it should still fall in the window if we are lucky.
Let me know what you find as to the answers to the questions that asked in the message.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyjoe
It is my understanding that American Lifan's engine warranty on the engine is 6 months, but I have heard (but don't know it for certain) that if you bought your bike directly from an importer then American Lifan will not honor the warranty and coverage is left up to the importer. In my case I bought from T-motorsports, who has a warranty period of only 30 days. Something to keep in mind.
You are correct on that...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #13

Hi All
American Lifan's warranty is Six {6} Months or 3000 miles parts & labor on all street legal models.
Dirtbikes & ATV's Six {6} Months parts & labor.
Bruce
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 03-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to ayjay1975
I have the same exact symptoms

My GY vibrates someplace under the tank or front headlight. I have been working on bikes for 15 years, and I am amazed I can't locate the source. Seems like it does get worse when fully warmed up, and is certainly related to engine rpm's. It seems to stop under hard acceleration, but comes right back as soon as you let off the throttle and decelerate untill rpm's drop below 3500 or so.

Making me crazy. I think I have spent 200 of my 300 miles on the bike holding pieces of plastic, heat shields, lights etc to try and figure out the cause!

Old 03-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #15

I feel your pain. I have not been around bikes as long as you have, but any rattling sounds drive me crazy. For the most part, if I cant find it I have just gotten used to it. Guess that's just how these bikes are. Someone here could probably help though.