Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

Hard to shift

My brand new lf200-iii is difficult to shift. I am using Valvoline 10W40 without "energy conserving" oil. I've tried adjusting the clutch cable. I made it so tight that I think the clutch may now be slipping, but it allows me to shift. If I loosen the clutch cable so that there's a little bit of freeplay (the way it's suppose to be), I couldn't shift at all. Will it get easier after break-in? or is something wrong?

Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #2

You have a problem, but I don't know what it is. I would check the pivot arm that the clutch cable connects to and see if things look OK there, then follow the cable from top to the bottom, if you don't see a kink or something obvious, then. I hate to say this but I think you have a problem in the clutch it self. That clutch is not complicated but it is not something you will want to attempt without feeling comfortable with it.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #3

When you get off the lever the cable should be a little taut, but your cluctch shouldn't slip. If so then you do have major problems.

I am willing to put $50 down that says that Lifan forgot to put a plate in.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #4

The little bracket that holds the end of the clutch cable was flexing. I fixed that, and now, the shift is better, even with proper cable tension (little tension when lever is let go, and no slipping clutch). However, it's still stiffer than what I'm used to. I mean, I have to make sure my whole foot is under/over the lever and pull up or push down very firmly. On my other bike, I can change gear with one toe; it's that easy.

So, should I open the cover and check the plates? I've never done that before. Or, should I keep riding and hope it'll loose up?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #5

Keep riding, changing it is a pain. If you do decide it needs changing just replace all of the plates.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #6

I think I have the problem fixed! I sprayed a little grease onto the joint on the shift lever (the one by my left foot), and now it shift nicely. The joint has too much free play. I don't think it's adjustable. I guess I'll have to lube it regularly. I am really surpriced by how big a difference a little bit of lube made. Now, the bike is running pretty smooth.

Thanks!