Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2009, 01:32 AM   #1

Hi fellas, new member. Help find a good bike 4 me?

So what's up guys. I'm looking for a cruiser 250 type, a budget bike obviously. Is this bike any good? The price looks right, is it? I can drive there but it's a bit far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

If that one sucks, what do you suggest that is similar?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 AM   #2

And what is a realistic top speed, say hopping on the freeway daily for 20 miles ea way? Any problems up a hill on the freeway?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:14 AM   #3

Looks nice. Looks like a Rebel clone. 60 on a highway for 20 minutes isn't asking too much it'll do it.

I'd buy it.

As far as a top speed... "speed is a matter of money, how fast can you go?"... with simple re-jeting and an intake and exhaust you could do 80-90 no problems; and that would cost less than $50. That is of course if the transmisson will alow it. If not then you could buy a simple rear sproket that would allow it.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #4

Welcome, Hensim. Seeing as your name is Hensim, I would suggest to try vbike.com which sells the Hensim 250 cruiser. $1700 shipped is a good deal on a decent bike.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #5

I used the name hensim because that's the bike I'm thinking about getting that I linked to. Is there a reason why you suggest paying 1700 for the same bike somewhere else instead of the 1100 on ebay for that new one?

All I'm concerned about now is parts for this. There seems to be almost zero info on this bike on the net. I find like two threads that are new but it's been out two years? I don't get it.

Will this take honda parts? It does look like a rebel engine.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #6

Wow Qingdao 90mph on a lightweight 250 clone bike? Oh man, I'd never even want to try but that's cool, thanks for that. Great to know it's good enough for some highway riding though, thank you.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #7

It looks like a good deal, but you are going to want to double check what type of paper work it has and be sure you can register it with no problems. You said you would need to travel to get. Factor in the costs for picking it up. (gas, food, lodging?, rental truck?).

If the seller has an actual title. Not an MSO I would go for the $1100 bike. If MSO. Verify that it is in order and your DMV will accept it.

The vbike is a good bike and the advantage would be that it is shipped to your door and you get to put it together and be your own quality control. Also I don't think anyone has had any issues with registering a bike from vbike.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #8

thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

It's not registered yet he says, but supposedly those come from a big chain store in oregon joes sporting goods and they sell tons of them and never have a problem registering them. Says it comes with a MSO and the receipt from the store. What is a MSO and does this all sound right or fishy? Anything more needed for DMV?

How would I confirm it can be registered, call DMV maybe and ask what if this brand name can be registered or the model or VIN?

I was thinking of taking a bus there it's 60 miles, and riding it home on back roads. It would be 40-45mph all the way on a new bike on an engine that's not broken in yet and a bike that's not shaken down for troubles.

Crazy? I mean jesus that bike is like $600 or more under normal price so maybe some risk is worth it if it's ok with dmv.

I could take a boatload of tools with me and I've worked on bikes before a little so if it's just like the honda I think I'll be ok working on it. My last honda was a nx250 enduro and I had a yamaha seca and a honda atc70 as a kid and worked on all them.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #9

I can't speak about this model directly but Canadian Tire has been selling the "BAJA" brand name in dirt bikes for a couple of years now. (Canadian Tire is a large retail chain in Canada)

There seem to be reasonable product reviews on their website, however, again only the non street legal version. If it is the same company you'll probably be alright.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #10

Okay. I think you will be okay, but the best way to go is to call the DMV and ask them what you need to bring in to register it.

MSO: Manufacturers Statement of Origin.

Are you in the same state as the bike? 60 miles is not too bad to go get it. I would see if someone would follow you home with it.

Bring some tools along to tighten things up with.

Allen

Old 05-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #11

Ok, thank you for the info on Canadian Tire and that at least this brand has some sort of decent rep for something that helps make me feel a little better about it. And I'll call DMV...

Have someone follow me, that'll work. I have a car. But the bike could end up stuck that way so I will get towing insurance too.

It has just 30 miles on it but I'm thinking I should also take new oil and change it before I ride it away. Sound wise? I read the manuals and it says it comes with just packing oil in it and not to even start it until changing that oil. Anything else you would do other than tighten all bolts and stuff? Is there a locktite type product I can use on bolts that are already tightened, something that seeps in, so things don't start coming off along the way?

What is the amount of mileage needed for break in period before it is switched to synthetic oil? I know you're not supposed to start with synthetic but I don't know how much break in time is enough to give.

Sorry for going on and on with questions, I just want to be sure about this and that if I do get it I do things right with it from day one because I've heard so many horror stories about chinese bikes and with no history on this model anywhere who knows if it's reasonable.

That motor seems to be in other things though that do have a rep for being reliable from what I can tell.

Unless I hear differently in the next 24hrs I am pretty certain I will pull the trigger and try it. Guy seems really honest, even says things he doesn't like about it, perfect ebay rep, new bike.

Fingers crossed. I don't know why I feel more aprehensive about buying this than I would a 30 year old japanese bike, but I do.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensim

Will this take honda parts? It does look like a rebel engine.
No its not a Rebel engine. It is possible to get generic parts that would normaly fit a Rebel though (mirrors seats and junk), but somthing more model specific I wouldn't sugest.

Yeah, 90 is possible. My lil LB200 will do it. I had a Honda Rebel many years ago and it would do it (the rebel feels safer than the LB).

Old 05-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #13

Not to worry about being apprehensive and asking questions. That is what you're supposed to do! Research!

I'm not aware of any kind of locktite seeping product. Maybe someone else is here? As for the break in period, general rule of thumb I have seen is a couple tanks of fuel then change it out. Someone is always welcome to correct me if I'm wrong!

I was very apprehensive about a Chinese Dirt bike last year. I ended up not buying one but was very close, and the people here were very helpful. I found a good deal on a '04 YZ 250F otherwise I would've had a GIO X35 in my garage. I think it's normal to have this concern.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #14

Well I didn't buy that one. I found the same model closer with 325miles on it for $200 less and it runs and rides great so I bought that. It's not new and doesn't have a warranty but oh well, fingers crossed.

thanks for all the help guys

Old 05-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #15

Did it come with a clear title? If so you may have save some money and alot of hassle at the DMV.

Post some pics and give us a report.

Allen