Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #31

I had to adjust my clutch after 30 miles. That was lots of stops and starts though.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #32

Speaking of shifting: I wont be doin any for a while because my clutch cable broke off at the lever today. I was about to hit a brand new powerline trail that I found and snap it went.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #33

Shea,
Another one of the guys on the site posted a link to a store here in Fl that has mail order parts www.mistermoped.com I looked through their parts and they carry all sorts of cables, they are also an American Lifan dealer, I'm sure if you called them they could find the clutch cable your looking for, they sell the 06 GY-5...

Old 03-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassador
Shea,
Another one of the guys on the site posted a link to a store here in Fl that has mail order parts www.mistermoped.com I looked through their parts and they carry all sorts of cables, they are also an American Lifan dealer, I'm sure if you called them they could find the clutch cable your looking for, they sell the 06 GY-5...
Thanks a lot, and I really appreciate that, but I have already had Thomas Rush with RPM order the cable for me. I finally got to enjoy my newly adjusted clutch for a couple of days, and there she went. Oh well!

Old 03-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #35

Make sure ya give it a good lubing before ya put it on...

Old 03-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #36

That's exactly what RPM told me. I guess I just learned the hard way. Thanks

Old 03-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #37

I encountered the same proble right at 200 miles, and after frequent adjusting, I found as the cable stretches you will have to keep adjusting until the cable is at the final stretch point. I did a test here with the OEM cable I replaced when I upgraded to a better cable. I took a pull gauge and measured how many pounds of pressure it took to release the clutch and it was right at 12 pounds, I then measured the cable and hung 10 pounds on it over night, in the morning I removed the weight and measured the cable again, IT STRETCHED AN AMAZING 3/4"! The new cable that I upgraded to is also stretching, its the nature of the beast, just keep in mind that when adjusting the cable that temperature will effect the end result, as the cable cools it shrinks and heats it will expand, but we are talking about a few .001 over the entire length of the cable and thats enough to fool you into adjusting the cable which in the end will be an over adjustment in the freeplay. Its always best to adjust the cable when you have been riding a while and everything is up to temp.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassador
What I did was loosen nut 1 about an 1/8th of an inch and just tightened nut 2 till it was tight, also changed out the oil to Mobil 1 20W-50, no problem shifting into neutral form 1st or 2nd gear now... Also, nut 1 was loose from the factory...
My bike has the adjuster adjusted all the way toward the rear of the bike with no adjustment left -- is there a way to shorten the cable length or do something to get the adjuster back towards the middle of adjustment range? :?:

Old 09-08-2007, 12:51 AM   #39

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
You might be able to remove a bit more cable length by changing to a clutch lever that has an adjuster as well, if your bike that doesn't have one. They're pretty cheap. If not then sound like your cable may be getting ready to snap, ie....down to the last few wires in the sleave. If it's stretched then a replavement is in order. See the Tech section for a compatible honda cable.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter