Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #1

Slick or sticky?

I thought I'd get some feedback on the preferred choice for seat cover material. I am hoping to replace the foam on my GY5 seat, and recover it with solid black, but I'm not sure of what's best for a dual sport.

Please share your opinion...and if possible, include why. "Because I like it" is perfectly acceptable.

The specific question is, do you prefer a slick seat that is easy to slide around on, or a sticky seat that helps you stay in position?

Please keep in mind that this is for a dual sport (hence the posting in the DS section). I don't really have much practical experience off-road.

On the streets I hear about people wanting the ability to move around more easily. But then, I've also heard comments like "don't buy a Corbin seat if you want to take a corner", which is obviously crap advice. I love my Corbin seat and I corner just fine!

As for material, I like leather as much as anyone, but not for this bike, or for a DS. I think a cheap vinyl would be best. The question is, should it be slick to allow movement, or have a pattern to keep me in place (and maybe allow air between myself and the seat to keep the moisture/sweat to a minimum).

Thanks in advance!
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #2

Off road you are more likely to be spending alot of time on the pegs and not on the seat. Also off road you move around alot depending on the terrain. Tendency is to set more forward.

Slick or sticky? I think I would lean stickier.

Allen

Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #3

A little on the slick side...

I guess my motorcycle seat is neither slick nor sticky, and I like it just fine, both on the street and in the dirt. When the going gets tough off-road I am almost always standing on the pegs, so the seat texture has never been an issue for me. I think that a very sticky seat might get more uncomfortable in hot weather. Personally, I never have a problem sticking to the seat on my motorcycle, even when riding in the dirt. However, I have a pretty big butt. :wink:

I guess I would choose a seat texture somewhere in the middle between slick and sticky, perhaps leaning slightly toward the slick side of the spectrum. Frequently the middle ground is a better place than either extreme. :wink:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #4

I think you will be fine with vinyl.

Allen

Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. Any and all is welcome!

I'm leaning towards some type of pattern in the material if it's not too much more expensive. My Corbin has the "basketweave" pattern and, as I've said already, I love that seat.

It's always good to hear from those with more experience than myself, though...so keep it coming!
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #6

Well, I just my Honda's seat redone for he second time last seasons, and I ended up going from leather o vynyl. To be honest, I'm a lot happier with the vinyl. Easier to maintain, and doesn't soak the foam when it gets rained on, i.e. shorter dry time.

Personally, I dramatically prefer stickier to Slick. I hate sliding onto the tank in a panic-stop situation!

The vinyl I have is pretty sticky overall, but to try it out for yourself to see what *you* prefer, all you have to do is change up your riding pants for a couple of rides.

Leather sticks to leather and vinyl excellently-- Offers an example of sticky
Denim sticks pretty well, but not as dramatically as leather
Polyester/Poly blend is uber-slippery, especially if you have some Job-issue work pants, they are rediculous-slippery.
Nylon sport pants are downright scary...

But try it out, in a non-populated area, if nothing else it should give you a little better idea wat you prefer...

***Not that I would ever approve of, endorse, or recommend anyoe riding in anything other than DOT approved armoured pants, with knee, hip and ankle protection, built in fire-retardant, etc. Otherwise your knees mght end up looking like the lady's knee in the other thread***

--Vince

Old 02-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake
...to try it out for yourself to see what *you* prefer, all you have to do is change up your riding pants for a couple of rides.

Leather sticks to leather and vinyl excellently-- Offers an example of sticky
Denim sticks pretty well, but not as dramatically as leather
Polyester/Poly blend is uber-slippery, especially if you have some Job-issue work pants, they are rediculous-slippery.
Nylon sport pants are downright scary...
--Vince
Wow! What a great idea! Thanks for the good information, Vince!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake
...Not that I would ever approve of, endorse, or recommend anyoe riding in anything other than DOT approved armoured pants, with knee, hip and ankle protection, built in fire-retardant, etc...
:roll: Of course not!!! Neither would I!!! 8O :roll:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894