Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #1

SOLD MY GY-5

Well, old Zapkin here. Just sold my GY for $700.00.

I got a good year of use from it but needed the money to pay some bills.

I sure do miss it.

Thanks to all of you for the help you gave me when I had it.

Take care all.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #2

Wondered what happened to you. Stick around though. Your year of ownership can provide valuble info to others.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #3

I think selling a bike is part of the experience, now you are and elder.

Are you still riding zap?

Good to hear you're still kicking! :P

Old 01-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #4

not to thread-jack but, i sold the yamoto today for a hundred bucks. i felt sad but happy to have my garage space back. now, i can put some other broken-down bike in its spot! thank you all for your help.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #5

I still have my GY-5... thought about selling it but it's value to me surpasses the little money I'd get from selling it.
It's paid for and doesn't eat anything, so I think I'll keep it around.

Actually, I'm thinking about gearing it down pretty low and throwing a set of trials tires on it just to have a light weight little woods bike. (I live about 10 minuets away from some killer trails, so I could handle some pretty deep gearing.)

Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #6

I sold mine quite awhile ago but I am so glad I bought it. It was my 1st dual sport and got me back into riding again. I liked riding it work, riding it on the trails, liked modding it, just fun riding. Got a bigger jap bike, sold the lifan, then got a smaller jap bike which is exactly what I wish the lifan was. 300cc, liquid cooled, and smooth running. Now I visit other site's and I'm surprised how many others picked up a cheap chinese dual sport for fun and ended up getting back into riding as well.
It's all good!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #7

Sorry to see you guys move on, but it IS the logical progression. I will admit a DRZ 400 looks pretty nice. I bought my $1000 Roketa as more of an experiment then anything esle. Then, when I realized it was actually a decent bike with potential, I couldn't let it go. Best to all. Ride on!

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #8

When I got my china bike I could have got an old honda instead for about the same price. Glad I didn't. An old Honda has a lot to wrench, I wouldn't have known what to buy or what to fix first or how to fix it, if I didn't have a chinabike first. I'm sure I would have bought a lemon if I went used, for my first bike. Owning a chinabike gave me the chance to ease into wrenching on my own 1 banger, dead simple bike. Like red said, it's a natural and logical progression. If I had the money, I wouldn't have sold it, for the little I got. It had twice the power of a scooter and was great for around the city and going downtown.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #9

I am happy with my lifan, but a bigger bike would be nice. I am going to give the lifan another year though. We will see what happens after that. Maybe the future a china bikes will be hitter our shores then. Otherwise it may be back to an older jap bike.

Allen

Old 01-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #10

I'm still hanging around and I sold my bike a while ago
I am also changing I am getting a Suzuki dr200se not bigger but should hold up better and run smoother.....We'll see. But the China bike did the same thing it got me back into riding.....Damn why did I ever stop riding?
Now I'll never forget My lil Trailmaster. Kinda wish I would have kept it.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #11

Now I'll never forget My lil Trailmaster. Kinda wish I would have kept it.

Doesn't everyone want their first bike back? Even if it's not to ride, just to have and remember. I looked forward to riding my chinabike into the ground and throwing it into the ditch. I never thought it would keep running the way it did. It's the reason I got addicted to riding, and bikes.

Knothead: "I still have my GY-5... thought about selling it but it's value to me surpasses the little money I'd get from selling it.
It's paid for and doesn't eat anything, so I think I'll keep it around."

My feelings too. I didn't get much money for the smiles that bike still had left in her.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #12

the more I think of it, the more I think my Jetmoto sucked big time, LOL. I will try some of the newer Chinese products coming, such as Hi-bird or Shineray, Qingqi, and Galaxy, but the bargain basement stuff--not so much. However, I will hold on to my Honda at the same time.... :wink:

Again, I am not soured on Chinese bikes, but I didn't think my Jetmoto did much of anything right.

My '91 Suzuki DRs, even without the luxury of an electric starter, was my first and favorite so far, but I will keep saving and (hoping to) buy a new Chinese bike--the new Hi-bird 250 enduro, or the new Qingqi 250 enduro. Shineray down the line, and hopefully, a Galaxy Moto to race in the Baja 250--ok, getting ahead of myself!!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #13

Chinabike Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFist
When I got my china bike I could have got an old honda instead for about the same price. Glad I didn't. An old Honda has a lot to wrench, I wouldn't have known what to buy or what to fix first or how to fix it, if I didn't have a chinabike first. I'm sure I would have bought a lemon if I went used, for my first bike. Owning a chinabike gave me the chance to ease into wrenching on my own 1 banger, dead simple bike. Like red said, it's a natural and logical progression. If I had the money, I wouldn't have sold it, for the little I got. It had twice the power of a scooter and was great for around the city and going downtown.
I agree. My first motorcycle was a 400cc, 1979 Honda Hawk II. I rode it all around Pennsylvania, the Midatlantic, the Midwest and Ontario. I sold it after three summers when the novelty wore off and I realized I might hurt myself traveling around on two wheels. :wink:

Originally I was going to buy another new, Japanese street bike, but a close friend encouraged me to get a dual sport motorcycle. However, I did not know how to evaluate the condition of a used dual sport bike. Also, after 26 years away from the sport, I just wanted to ride, not wrench. However, I did not want to spend a lot of money just to discover that I did not enjoy dual sport riding. Buying a new, Chinese dual sport motorcycle was the perfect solution for me.

My chinabike has proven to be a great little motorcycle with a lot of potential. Since I paid so little for it, I don’t mind repairing it. I might be afraid to “void my warranty” while working on a new, Jap bike. Instead, I don’t mind sawing and chiseling away on the Zongshen. This bike has taught me a great deal about motorcycle maintenance. I got my money out of this motorcycle for its educational value alone! Also, since I paid so little for it, I ride this motorcycle like I stole it. When I feel like riding, I take off and go. I am not afraid to “wear it out.”

I think my motorcycle is an exceptional value, and I do not plan to sell it. Spare parts are dirt cheap, and educational resources to keep it running are plentiful on the internet. However, I am glad I got my motorcycle while the price was still so reasonable. When the price of a chinabike gets too high, a Japanese motorcycle becomes the better value. :wink:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #14

My chinabike has proven to be a great little motorcycle with a lot of potential. Since I paid so little for it, I don’t mind repairing it. I might be afraid to “void my warranty” while working on a new, Jap bike. Instead, I don’t mind sawing and chiseling away on the Zongshen. This bike has taught me a great deal about motorcycle maintenance. I got my money out of this motorcycle for its educational value alone! Also, since I paid so little for it, I ride this motorcycle like I stole it. When I feel like riding, I take off and go. I am not afraid to “wear it out.”

I could have written this myself. Though different, our experiences are very simular.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
the more I think of it, the more I think my Jetmoto sucked big time, LOL.
That's about what I keep saying. As they are now, the ONLY thing Chinese bikes have going for them is the ultra low price (I still see them for under $1000 for a street and trail). Once the price starts getting much over $2000, they don't make as much sense. At $3000... I think anyone would be nuts as that money would get you a nice, low mileage Japanese bike. (I just found a low mileage KLR 650 for $1700, a DR200 w/3000 miles @ $1600, etc... ThumperTalk has a bunch of good deals right now)
I only gave $2000 for my DR650, it dosen't have the best suspension, but it is worlds above my GY-5.. and the power is good too!