Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #1

Mod suggestions for Zong Sierra 200gy-2

I want to increase some performance on my 200gy-2. Not really for speed, but I hate the "Weed Wacker" Exaust sound. Want to know if anybody has done mods specifically to this bike and/or any suggestions.
If there are any threads already, please post.

From what I have read:

1) I would like upgrade exaust (sugestions that work with this bike)

2) Rejet (Sizes?)

3) C-clip mod (Can I do this before I do any of the other upgrades first?)

4) Cut out old airbox? (Fabricate something to hold the battery and fenders in place) and add a unipod air filter. Has anyone done this yet? Or will the Air filter fit another way? Doesn't look like it would without cutting up the airbox.

5) Tires (Sizes?Dealers?)

6) Upgrade CDI (Not sure about even doing this one)

7) And finally the sprocket (front/Rear)

The last two I don't think are that important. Remember I'm not looking for speed (if that is a side effect of the mods, that's fine with me), just better sound and performance. I've been looking around at local shops and online stores and these upgrades don't seem that expensive (And I heared that Obama is sending us out some $500 in stimulus checks. I know where we all are going to spend ours). Any and all ideas and suggestions are much appreciated in advanced.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #2

The only thing I've done so far is the clip mod, and change original spark plug. Oh I also drilled a few holes in air filter cover to help the bike get more airflow. Not sure it did much. I don't think there is a easy way to do pod mod. you will have to cut air/battery box, I chose not to do that. There's a guy who post's stuff on this site, "Phil" and he's working on getting some dual purpose tires from Zongshen.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wool-Z
The only thing I've done so far is the clip mod...
Wool-Z,

In what slot did you find your C-clip, and to what slot did you move it? China Riders member cmike posted a picture of his C-clip in the second slot from the bottom. I wonder if he found it this way, or moved it from another position?

http://s527.photobucket.com/albums/c...current=17.jpg

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #4

Re: Mod suggestions for Zong Sierra 200gy-2

Some things I/we have done to ours:

1) I would like upgrade exaust (sugestions that work with this bike)
This was the single most noticable improvement I did on our bikes.My bike went from a rather wimpy "cant pull itself out of the deep sand" to a very nice sounding/roaring bike that would willingly dig thru the sand and come up to speed on my command(it mandated a rejet-from a stock 98 to a 115)
My bike has a lame XR200 after market exhaust and my wifes has the GIO 250's dirtbike exhaust(its a chinabike exhaust) and works great.Both need to be modded to fit

2) Rejet (Sizes?)
This really is bike specific as there are a lot of things that alter what is needed on a given bike.

3) C-clip mod (Can I do this before I do any of the other upgrades first?)
Its not so much of a mod but part of carb tuning and after a more open airfilter and exhaust you will have to crack open the carb for a rejet and most likely adjust the C-clip as well during the retune process.

4) Cut out old airbox? (Fabricate something to hold the battery and fenders in place) and add a unipod air filter. Has anyone done this yet? Or will the Air filter fit another way? Doesn't look like it would without cutting up the airbox.
I put on K&N/RC-1120 airfilters (with sock) and they work great I hear UNI filters are even better you decide.I put on the K&N's because our batteries were getting cooked from being right over the exhaust pipe and I moved the batts to over the rear fender across the frame but the stock airfilter was there- battery problem solved and lost the terrible leaking dirt sucking stock airbox-ok 2 problems solved

5) Tires (Sizes?Dealers?)
We still run the stock tires but they are lacking for offroad.

6) Upgrade CDI (Not sure about even doing this one)
I havnt seen one that is worth the hassle of even putting it on (and it's simple) let alone having to have to pay for it-didnt do anything for mine and actually was worse.

7) And finally the sprocket (front/Rear)
We still have the stock 17/46 and I could drop the rear down to about a 42-44 and still be fine I think with a little more top end but I will most likely keep it stock just for the off road usefulness of them.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 AM   #5

Thanx

Thanks for the info! Sometimes ya just need to hear it from someone else for some confidence. I did the c-clip mod today and it was easy. Didn't even remove the carb. I wanted to, but the airbox was in the way. just loosened the clips and turned it sideways. oved it all the way down. Haven't run it yet. Going out this evening. Wondering if I can just drill out the exaust and re-jet for a cheap fix until I have some $$$ for an exhaust.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:27 AM   #6

C-clip Position

JoJo,

Welcome to the forum! I also own a Zongshen 200GY-2, and I plan to answer your seven questions. However, will you please first answer a question for me? Was your C-clip originally in the next to bottom position as shown in the photograph below? Thank you.

http://s527.photobucket.com/albums/c...current=17.jpg

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #7

I moved my clip down one spot to make it look like it does in that pic. I also had to turn out the air/fuel mix screw, about half turn from where it was. Think it's about two turns out.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #8

Glad to be here. The C-clip wasn't on the second from bottom. 2nd from top I think? I moved it all the way down and it's not running right. I also backed the mixture screw out a half a turn. It has been stalling and harder to start. I'm going to move it to second from the bottom and see how that works out 2maro. Ques? Out is on the mixture screw is richer, right? and since I moved the c-clip I Should? increase the air/fuel mix? Still just learning. tnx :roll:

Old 01-10-2009, 03:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo
Glad to be here. The C-clip wasn't on the second from bottom. 2nd from top I think? I moved it all the way down and it's not running right. I also backed the mixture screw out a half a turn. It has been stalling and harder to start. I'm going to move it to second from the bottom and see how that works out 2maro. Ques? Out is on the mixture screw is richer, right? and since I moved the c-clip I Should? increase the air/fuel mix? Still just learning. tnx :roll:
Move the clip down (moves the needle up) and you richen the mixture. Move the clip up (needle down) and it leans it out.

The fuel screw affects the mix only in the first part of the throttle range... from idle till about 1/4 throttle, from 1/4 to wide open the needle and jet control the mix. And yes, out is richer.
Don't adjust the screw util the engine is fully warmed up. Then screw it in until the engine stumbles, then back it out until you get a smooth idle, then set the idle speed with the screw on the side of the carb.... I did mention the mixture screw is on the bottom of the carb, right? The big one on the side is called an air bypass screw (depending on which carb you have) and it's only for setting the idle.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:08 AM   #10

Stalling/Starting Problems

Wool-Z and JoJo, thank you for the information.

My Sierra 200 has always run very well right out of the shipping crate. I am not a mechanic, so I would much rather ride than wrench upon my motorcycle. :wink: Therefore, I have not opened up my carburetor to check or alter the C-clip position on the jet needle. Based upon the information I have received, it appears that the carburetor jet needle has 5 slots, and the C-clip is placed in the middle (3rd) slot at the factory.

JoJo, I think that your bike is now running too rich. You are correct; turning the pilot mixture screw out/counterclockwise enriches the fuel mixture. Moving the C-clip down on the jet needle also enriches the fuel mixture.

My bike runs very well with the C-clip in the factory position, the third slot from the top of the jet needle. Since your bike is now stalling and harder to start, I would encourage you to return the C-clip to the factory setting. I would also encourage you to return the pilot mixture screw to the original setting by turning it in/clockwise one-half turn. Ideally, the pilot mixture screw for your TK MV28 carburetor should be set about 2 ½ to 3 turns out from the fully seated position. Turning the pilot mixture screw to this position should allow you to more easily start your motorcycle, and it will get you pretty close to the final setting. You can determine the ideal setting by following Knothead’s instructions. Make sure your bike is fully warm (hot) before you make the final adjustment of the pilot mixture screw (PMS). If the PMS is turned in too far you will lose low throttle performance. If the PMS is turned out too far your motorcycle will idle very high when it is hot.

Here is a picture of the left side of your TK MV28 carburetor. This photograph was originally posted by China Riders member cmike. The pilot mixture screw is shown inside the yellow circle. The idle screw is shown inside the orange oval.

Please try these adjustments and let us know if your motorcycle stops stalling and starts up more easily. To avoid confusion I will defer posting my answers to your seven questions until you fix your stalling/starting problems.

If you don’t mind, please tell us your location and elevation. I live in Idaho at an elevation of 4,400 feet above sea level. Also, how long have you owned your Zongshen 200GY-2?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-10-2009, 06:03 AM   #11

Thanx guys. This forum is the shitzski!! I was starting to give up and thinking on bringing it in somewhere, but your guys help has got me back to my roots of not letting someone else work on my stuff. If you want it done right, do it yourself! I am going to work on the bike 2mar again and follow your guys's guide. I would like to also, mention that the bike fires up on the 2nd or 3rd kick start like a champ.

I've had her for 2 weeks now. It feels like longer. Like we're married already??

I appreciate the solid advice guys.

Oh! I live in south Florida... It's 56 out. I'm freezin!!!

Will let you guys know how the tinkerin goes!

Peace Out

Old 01-10-2009, 07:35 AM   #12

WOW 56 outside, if it was that temp here I'd be walking around outside in jeans and a tee shirt.Lows next week will be 0 with highs in the teens.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #13

What's a 0?

Old 01-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #14

Just put the c-clip back to the 3rd posistion. Bike fired right up. I cut it off and it hasn't started again. I checked the plug and it is good. Tried a back up also. It seems like it is not getting a spark? Is there an easy way to check for the spark? or could it b something else?Frustrated and stuck. :x

Just wanna ride :evil:

Old 01-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #15

after a few hours of playing mad dr zong i have come up with a easy upgrade for the muffler and man it sounds good :twisted: i few brackets would need welded on but i think i could make it install easy with few and looks factory but i have run into a new problem ,,,, since apollo went out ill have to find another source for the muffler give me a little time and i may come up with a acceptable replacement :wink:
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next