Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyjoe
But lately, of course, I have been drooling over a Suzuki V-Strom 650. I guess that's why they call it a disease. But there is no substitute for the little GY200. I will never give it up as long as it will take me places.
Here, here!! I had planned to sell my Jetmoto for $250 with a blown engine. I had a few interested parties that fortunately came too late, or offered me too little (see my post under "misc." "ok sir, I will give you $250 to take the bike off my hands...") and with my finances improving a bit, I will get that darn engine after all. I figured, there is never a reason to sell one of these bike, unless it is going to help you just a bit. So with that in mind, the Alpine/Jetmoto will stay with me. However, I have been very intrigued by the V-Strom, and that looks like (one of) the last bikes I will ever need. However, having once owned a DR-250s, I wouldn't mind having a DR-650s. Then, of course, I want a quad--a Chinese one would fit the bill for me, and then...well you get the picture. The V-Strom is my fantasy bike, but I would settle for a UM/Hyosung "naked" 650, or at least a UM SMF200; Bruce do you have any in orange?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
i really wanted a kl650 for a long time, i rode one, what a fat pig, its no faster then a chinabike, but just bigger and oafier...

i will get a klx400 or something like that if i upgrade, or a ktm superduke...

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #18

I'm with ya!

I'd buy that BMW in a heartbeat, they are beautiful. Truth be told, I wouldn't take my Roketa on a long trip, no way. The BMW, I would with no hesitation. The Chinabikes are fun and great for short trips and dinking around and if you crash it and total it, you're only out a grand or so. They are great bikes for the money. I really want a R1200C. Talk about beautiful! Have fun with it!

Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
hey at least you can use the chinabike to pick up your 12 packs

that rear rack is great for it!

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsuave13
i really wanted a kl650 for a long time, i rode one, what a fat pig, its no faster then a chinabike, but just bigger and oafier...
I think that Blimpman can back me up on this one. I rode a KLR 650 and that son of a gun ran 90 mph with throttle left. I do think they are faster than my Lifan. You gotta hang on when you pinn the throttle back on that bike!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheadouglas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsuave13
I think that Blimpman can back me up on this one. I rode a KLR 650 and that son of a gun ran 90 mph with throttle left. I do think they are faster than my Lifan. You gotta hang on when you pinn the throttle back on that bike!
Truth is this... The only limitation with *most* bikes are the riders....

As for the KLR, I'll never in a 100 years ride that bike to it's limits... It's a great bike for the price and for what it's designed for.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #22

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
I gotta jump in here too!

I rode a Honda XR650L last year and fell in love with the power.
In December I chanced on a Suzuki DR650 in fantastic shape and good price.
You need to hold on to the handlebars if you going to go full throttle on one of these 650's! No they are not sportbikes, but they are a lot more than 200cc's.
It tops out around 100.
I haven't had a chance to ride a KLR650 but it is in the same category.
I do about 65-70% street riding so the DR is great on the street and does pretty good off road, just remember it isn't a pure MX bike.

The current newstand version of Rider magazine has good test between the 3 Japanese 650 ds's.
I still like my China bike very well but it is going to be sold this spring.
(can't afford mdb)
But if money wasn't an object, there would be KTM in the garage. Well, it would be actually in the garage infrequently. :wink:

Now I forgot who started this thread...but anyway, congrats on the BMW.!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #23

Congrats on the new bike!! They are a great bike that has been around the world and back.

As a rider of over 40 years and having ridden bikes from 50cc to 1200, including thousands of miles on a KLR my one snippet of wisdom would be this:

"You can fit the bike to the ride or the ride to the bike."

A KLR or Dakar will blaze a path from coast to coast on any road in any condition. The Chinabikes will also blaze a trail from coast to coast but in a more leasurely fashion, sticking to the two lanes and the dirt paths. I don't think that I am alone in thinking these bikes will go the distance and as evidence I will direct you to one of my favourite threads on AdvRider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201349

Best of luck with the Beemer and I look forward to meeting you on the road or trail someday,
G.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:54 PM   #24

China bikes rock!

Well, I must also jump in on this one!

Last week, I went with a buddy when he purchased his new Lifan America GY-5. It was a great buying experience. I enjoyed it and I'm glad I went along!

These bikes just seem to be too cool to me for some reason! I can't get them out of my mind and I can't explain it. My next purchase is going to be something else but... I will have one of these soon. I love doing something with nothing. Now, don't think for a minute that means that I think these bikes are nothing. Let's face it though, a grand isn't much to spend on a bike! If I can get a new motorcycle that can be ridden daily for $1000, then that is a good situation. I have a couple different bikes and I'm adding another one in a month or so. My main ride is a KTM 950 Adventure S. It's a great bike and I like it a lot. It's a BLAST to ride but it doesn't do everything. I have no intentions of replacing my KTM with a China bike but I want one to add to my ever growing fleet. If I wasn't right in the middle of slamming all my money down to pay my Yamaha WR off, I'd already have one! My next bike will be a high mileage commuter that gets decent fuel economy. It will be my daily driver. The KTM is not the best bike for that! It's a trip bike. The China bike that I'm looking at will be just a fun bike, a play bike for me and a bike to let friends and family have low cost fun on. I tend to go overboard with mods on some of my bikes. But as I said, it's going to be a fun bike. Of course like all of you, I think most bikes are fun so that won't be much of a stretch. These are fun machines! Can wait!

These are also great starter machines. My daughter has a Yamaha TT-R that has just been sitting for 2 years. It may have one tank of fuel run through it. I could have saved myself quite a bit of money, if I would have got her a 125cc China bike first. She promises we'll ride more this year. I hope so!

Anyway, I see a great demand for bikes like these. I love it!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:32 AM   #25

Re: China bikes rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM

These bikes just seem to be too cool to me for some reason! I can't get them out of my mind and I can't explain it.

Most of us know the feeling!

Old 02-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #26

You wanna be a cool boy dont you

Old 02-28-2007, 09:42 AM   #27

Quote:
You wanna be a cool boy dont you
That must be it!

Old 02-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #28

We looked at the XT225 before we bought our bikes, but the bottom line was we got two chinabikes for less than the price for 1 XT225. The bikes run great and we are older and the lighter bike is just more fun. And just at the right speed for this island.
Ride hard and have FUN!!!!

Old 03-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #29

Thanks Guys. What little time I've had to ride it has been great, but the weather is real nasty right now so I go out to talk to it and pet it every time I get a beer out of the fridge in the garage... Which is often. The tires aren't broken in and it would be real easy to downshift going around a corner on wet city street and end up with it on top of me.

I still like my GY200, it is great fun to ride. I really liked the look of the KTM 950 too, but it was soooo much more money. I already went a bit overboard.

Well, time to get another beer and pet the beemer!

Old 03-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #30

I want a low mileage DR 350 with a big gas tank. If not, then a DR 650 will have to do.