Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #31

elroy:
I'm still waiting on my stainless bolt to come in from Halifax via Brafasco/HD Supply. I ordered a 1/2" x 9 inch.
I know the length will fit, but I thought I would have to machine it down to the stock size, which is a bit smaller in diameter than 1/2".
Did you half inch bolt fit in OK?
Was it Tight?
Did you grease it?
Lock nut?
Washer on each end?

I bought a castle nut thinking I would drill it and put a cotter pin through it, but I might get a locknut setup and not put the nut on extremely tight.

Does anyone know what the torque setting is for these swing arm bolts?

My bolt should come in tomorrow.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #32

Squishy,

I'm still using the stock hardware on mine, Enigmatic's using the 1/2".

May have to drill the bushings out a bit to make it work.

Took mine out to check it and it looked fine. Just applied some grease.

However, while putting on the new chain, the threads stripped off the nut for the rear axle bolt.

The bolt's threads were a little chewed though. Found a new nut and lock washer, but will need a new bolt as well. If i can find one. 8O

12 inch/14mm. :roll:

Old 10-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #33

I think you would be better drilling the bushings to fit the bolt instead of milling the bolt to fit.

That and coat it really well with grease.

Allen

Old 10-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #34

It is a bit tighter than the stock but I figure thats ok as it hammered in nice....at least there is no danger of it sliding out again as the stock one could have been pulled out by hand.its greased a bit will have to do more....nut on one end and just a bolt head on the other like the stock, you probably wont need to machine it down at all-in fact I wouldnt, the fact that the stock bolt is not a tighter fit might be the problem as I am pretty sure the head was pulled of by the weight of the frame pushing against the bolt head.so if that bolt is moving around alot inside the swingarm its probably going to be under more tension than if the bolt were still with just the frame hammering against it, not too sure just a hunch, Ill see how it goes?, 9 inch is good but I figured a little more wouldnt hurt in case the nut falls off again!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroyjetsn
Squishy,

I'm still using the stock hardware on mine, Enigmatic's using the 1/2".

May have to drill the bushings out a bit to make it work.

Took mine out to check it and it looked fine. Just applied some grease.

However, while putting on the new chain, the threads stripped off the nut for the rear axle bolt.

The bolt's threads were a little chewed though. Found a new nut and lock washer, but will need a new bolt as well. If i can find one. 8O

12 inch/14mm. :roll:
Thanks guys; hey elroy

try this site for the bolt:

http://www.motosportsparts.com/s.nl/...e=41%2C60%2C73
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 06-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #36

MY shineray 200gyI's swing arm bolt loosened up as well, so i checked my suspension linkage and found all suspension bushings were Dry!! N O GREASE!! I TOOK EVERY pivot point apart and filled it with red bearing grease, suspension works so smooth now........

Old 06-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #37

Not sure if your setup is similar, but I double-nut the swingarm on my atv to maintain tension. Much better than Loctite, because the swingarm articulation acts like a ratchet that unscrews a single nut. A cotter pin would also be a good solution.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #38

I did install cotter pins on both my axles when i built the bike, guess the swing arm bolt is next...

Old 07-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #39

Torque bolts rule of thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSouth View Post
I'm glad you got it home safely and fixed it with minimal effort.
Just be careful about tightening every bolt you can find. Unless you've replaced them all with stronger bolts, you may end up snapping something.
And I don't just say that for your benefit. Anyone who reads the thread needs to understand the risk.
I wish we could tighten that loose nut behind the wheel! :roll:
I have been taught "tighten bolts one quarter turn past snug" as a rule of thumb when you do not have torque specs.