Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #1

Battery Relocation/Replacement

Hi all,

I was planning to move the battery box from the current location at the rear to the side, where the airbox currently is. Something I read somewhere has made me hesitate.

I bought the bike to mainly do some green lane riding. As such, there's a fair chance of it going over a few times. Would I be better off replacing the battery with a sealed gel one? If so, any suggestions as to which battery I should get?

If I do change the battery, am I going to need a different battery box anyway? Would the gel battery still fit where the airbox is?

Is there any practical reason to move the battery in the first place or just because it looks stupid where it is?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #2

The reason to move it is because several mambers (myself included) have had the box break and the battery drops down onto your rear wheel. 8O . If you think you'll be flopping it a lot, go with the gel cell.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #3

It happened to me, I moved mine with no further problems.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #4

Ours were very secure in the stock steel box located on the right side but our problem seemed to be the exhaust pipe 1/2" or so right under the batteries which fryed the batteries.

Havnt lost a battery since the relocate.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #5

Thanks for that. Has anyone here used a gel one? Any particular model? And do they tend to be bigger/smaller than the standard battery?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #6

I would not relocate the battery. To do is a big job. It's not worth the hassle. The stock location is very convenient. I think a battery needs to be easily accessible in the event of an emergency. Putting it under the seat would make it not very accessible. And, if the battery box cracking is a concern, do what I do. Just reinforce the box. I cut little pieces of sheet metal and used it along with rivets to strength the corners of the box. I've put 2000 miles on the bike since, and I've also dropped the bike once. My reinforced box works great!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #7

I did relocate my battery to the left side since the exhaust is so close. I also installed a Westco AGM battery 12VZ7S. No problems since and easy starts.

Mark

Old 10-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #8

to funny.

Our batteries are now in a MUCH easier location to get to and with only ONE screw to remove to get the seat out of the way it is a snap.

But then again if you must keep the crappy, leaky stock air box then under the seat isnt really gonna work for you.

relocating the battery box does take a bit of work/welding but it is the best solution on some of these bikes other bikes arnt so bad.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:16 AM   #9

I had my battery fall through the inner fender and onto my rear tire on my 200-B. Luckily it was still under the American Lifan warranty and 2 and a half months later they sent me new, redesigned pieces.

pic of my damage on lifan-moto:
http://www.lifan-moto-forum.com/Atta.../DSC00792b.JPG
http://www.lifan-moto-forum.com/Atta.../DSC00790a.JPG

They reworked the inner fender to have a much more shallow well for the battery...in fact it is now almost flat. They also sent me a new battery that is almost half the height and a little wider when compared to the older one. They also sent me a couple brackets that sandwich the battery into the frame and they are much more heavy duty than the original battery box.

If you havnt already, Id say to check with Al to see if they have some reworked pieces for you too.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:22 AM   #10

Having pulled off all the tape that the previous owner had wrapped around the battery box, I've found a few things. The battery box is plastic & missing a front. I'll probably have to buy a new metal one if there's going to be welding involved.

The battery in there is 12V-4Ah, which might explain why it starts so badly. My manual says 12V-7Ah but doesn't tell me the correct model number. Anyone got the model number of the standard battery?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #11

YTX7L-BS 12V 6Ah Tong Yong Batery Co. Unlimited.

I replaced mine with a Motor Sports battery, (5L-bs) from Advance Auto, for half the cost of a stock battery. I have had no problems with it!

Hope it helps,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #12

I took my battery from the rear of my bike and put it where the airbox was, it was a sloppyfit and rattled about.. HOWEVER I realised that if I left it IN the battery box it fit in snug as a bug, slightly diagonal like this / but works fine. go for it,

EDIT:

I didn't weld mine or anything, just left it in the battery box (metal one) and wedged it in, the side panel holds it in place snugly,

Old 10-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #13

I'm starting to think I'll have to make a new bracket for the battery. I looked up the YTX7L-BS and it was listed as having a height of 131mm. My box is only 100mm high. I did ask china-parts.co.uk for the dimensions of the replacement (metal) box but they haven't supplied them yet.

I don't want to buy a box if I'm not going to use it but I'd rather use a proper box than make one. Argh, this is frustrating!

panicacid, that sounds like real scary stuff. Until I make my new sidepanels, mine are likely to fall off at any time. I can just see my battery going bouncing down the road. Nice :-)