Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #16

Yeah its best to go with boots designed for bikes...the feet up to the knees are the most important part in controlling your bike and also the only parts of the body not visible to the rider, make sure your protected, I look at it this way if you were barefoot on a bike without a helmet and you tumbled your feet would not be able to support your body being thrown and you would certainly take a head shot.....if you had good boots they will offer support and you might not even hit your head at all!
Gloves are also important for grip and protection!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #17

I wear these from ACADEMY. $30 and they are comfy...
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...548-02157-6020

or you could go this route for $20.
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...548-02157-6030

Old 08-27-2008, 11:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Mr. Knothead Wrote:

And laces can get caught on the bike or tangled in the shifter,brake or foot pegs. I've seen people fall over because they couldn't put their foot down when they stopped. Laces are OK if they are covered, but velcro, buckles or even zippers are better.
Uhm, can we never speak of that part again? :oops:

Old 08-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by srreynolds2003
I wear these from ACADEMY. $30 and they are comfy...
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...548-02157-6020

or you could go this route for $20.
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...548-02157-6030
I've had too many stones hit me chins. You may need longer boots up to the knees.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:44 AM   #20

For street riding, MX boots are overkill IMHO. However, since I ride DS I'm looking for a set of ATV boots. Same protection as MX but with tread. I typically need more protection from the bike (ie. sharp pegs) than the terrain.

I also want to be able to walk around and MX boots are known to be a bit slippery (by design) particularly on wet surfaces.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #21

are there any actual horror stories about the steel "cup" of steel toed boots cutting toes off durring an accident? i just couldn't see that happening.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #22

In a perfect world, we'll all wear specifically designed boots. But, in the real world, we can't. If I wear those boots to work, my feet is going to reek by the end of the day--not to mention everyone in the office staring at the boots. The best I can do is a pair of hiking boots.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #23

I have a few cheap pairs. One is non steel-toe, and another pair is cheapo Mac boots with steel toe.

I'm not pro or con against either, I just match the equipment to the mission. My problem is, the Mac steel-toe has a loose sole and I need to find out if it is worth the repair bill. I only paid about $35 at the mega-store.

P.S. don't tell anybody, but I've been known to ride in running shoes :twisted:

bene ambula et redambula,
a safe journey to you,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #24

I know a few people that leave shoes at work to switch too during the day. I were boots for work so not much of a problem there.

Allen

Old 08-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #25

:!: A myth about steel-toe boots is that the inserts actually create a more dangerous environment, because a significant weight could cause the steel to act like a blade, severing the toe instead of the weight simply crushing the foot. However, the weight needed to induce such a failure would result in such severe damage to the toe that amputation would be necessary anyway. :!:

if you hit your toes hard enough to cut them with steel cap,how do you think they would look in running shoes or leather shoes...like new???

I agree with laces getting into pegs/shifters/brake...dangerous!

With ANY leather boots tied up is better than none...if you are thrown off the bike chances are your feet are not going to be the most hurt.
I would guess palms of hands,hips,shoulders and head would get some rash....As far as my own "scientific" test crashes have asertained...
One crash tore /broke my laces and blew my workboot right off in the process of cartwheeling after the crash....My upper back and hip were rashed fairly bad and my knee hyperextended, but my foot left in a worksock fared well. (except for the thistle prickers)
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior91
:!: A myth about steel-toe boots is that the inserts actually create a more dangerous environment, because a significant weight could cause the steel to act like a blade, severing the toe instead of the weight simply crushing the foot. However, the weight needed to induce such a failure would result in such severe damage to the toe that amputation would be necessary anyway. :!:

if you hit your toes hard enough to cut them with steel cap,how do you think they would look in running shoes or leather shoes...like new???

I agree with laces getting into pegs/shifters/brake...dangerous!

With ANY leather boots tied up is better than none...if you are thrown off the bike chances are your feet are not going to be the most hurt.
I would guess palms of hands,hips,shoulders and head would get some rash....As far as my own "scientific" test crashes have asertained...
One crash tore /broke my laces and blew my workboot right off in the process of cartwheeling after the crash....My upper back and hip were rashed fairly bad and my knee hyperextended, but my foot left in a worksock fared well. (except for the thistle prickers)
I used to use these on the flight-line:

http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/...rchy/0S06.html

I agree with the concept of the crushed toes also. I am not afraid of steel toe. There is an appropriate time for any protective equipment. use your judgment. :wink:

Thanks,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Always Wear a Helmet.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #27

warrior91 Myth Busted!

I think you're right on the mark. :wink:

I only stated what I was told by my M2 instructor, steel toed boots made it hard, (maybe for newbies) to toe the shifter. Just what I was told.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFist
warrior91 Myth Busted!

I think you're right on the mark. :wink:

I only stated what I was told by my M2 instructor, steel toed boots made it hard, (maybe for newbies) to toe the shifter. Just what I was told.
Just another note about riding boots vs. hiking boots and shifting. Most riding boots have extra material for the shifter, preventing premature wear from shifting.

If you ride a lot in a hiking boot, the shifting toe may wear out before the rest of the boot.

I spent a ton of time on a bicycle as a kid, and one of the many lessons learned was avoiding chain tangle....be it from laces or pants. My boots are lace only, but I am very careful about the way I tie my boots, and how my pants fit.

This is what I have for the street - http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Closeouts.aspx
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 08-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #29

I think a steel toe boot would be ok but I wouldnt go out of my way to get them as they are pretty useless for bike riding and will likely just be an added obstacle in your way.I wouldnt like them as I like mobility in my feet while I ride, but to each is own!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #30

there is a time for steel-toes, and there is a time for flip-flops (showers referred)... 8O

Leather helmets used to be the norm

Now if I could just find a good cobbler in my neck of the hills!

Tigertamer

CAUTION
Always Wear a Helmet.