Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #1

Carb Clip Mod Question

I was fiddling around with my HSUN GY 200 today and I decided to move the carb clip, following Mountainwolf's stickie. I moved the clip down one groove closer to the needle end. Now, the bike starts OK and idles good, but breaks up at anything over idle. Do I need to adjust the carb to accommodate the new clip setting, or did I move it toward the wrong end?

Oh, and please don't tell me that I shouldn't have fiddled with a bike that was already running good; my wife already beat you to it.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:08 PM   #2

Re: Carb Clip Mod Question

Too rich, move it back. -Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaguy
I was fiddling around with my HSUN GY 200 today and I decided to move the carb clip, following Mountainwolf's stickie. I moved the clip down one groove closer to the needle end. Now, the bike starts OK and idles good, but breaks up at anything over idle. Do I need to adjust the carb to accommodate the new clip setting, or did I move it toward the wrong end?

Oh, and please don't tell me that I shouldn't have fiddled with a bike that was already running good; my wife already beat you to it.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #3

If it was starting fine before, I'd just move the clip back. But, moving the clip one notch won't do enough harm to make it run like you are describing. If it's a little rich, it wont make it stumble. Sounds like you might have dislodged a piece of crud in the carb, or introduced a new piece of crud, while you had it apart. Pull the carb and clean out the jets. With the symptom you describe, I'm sure you got something in the main.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
If it was starting fine before, I'd just move the clip back. But, moving the clip one notch won't do enough harm to make it run like you are describing. If it's a little rich, it wont make it stumble. Sounds like you might have dislodged a piece of crud in the carb, or introduced a new piece of crud, while you had it apart. Pull the carb and clean out the jets. With the symptom you describe, I'm sure you got something in the main.

dangit red I was gonna say that

definatly pull the carb and clean it. one position on the clip wont make the machine do what you say it is doing

Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #5

yeh true dat, unless he was already a little rich and then went to too rich...

Also make sure the 'keeper' clip is on there....the bigger one that holds the whole needle assembly down. If you forgot to put that back then the needle can float.

I've got a parts carb if you find you have lost/bent/broken anything in yours. The chinee kehin type. I went to a 30mm mikuni so don't need the kehin anymore.

duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003

dangit red I was gonna say that

definatly pull the carb and clean it. one position on the clip wont make the machine do what you say it is doing

Old 08-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #6

I moved the clip back where it was and it still doesn't run right when you apply throttle. So, I took the carb off and I'm going to clean the whole thing. I'm thinking there is probably dirt in the main jet.

I want to thank you guys for your responses. This forum is awesome.

Duck: You don't know how much I appreciate your offer. I scratched the needle where the clip grooves are, trying to remove and re-install the clip. I'm afraid that might give me trouble. I'm gonna clean the carb, and button everything back up; hopefully everything we be all right. If I would need anything I'll let you know.

I broke the airbox while working on the bike, which will lead to my next project: an aftermarket air filter.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #7

while you are in there check your plug to see if you are rich, if not I would put in a shiney new clean 105 or 107 main jet. since you are planning on getting an aftermarket filter.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #8

No worries, I have a couple of brand new needles in the package still but don't know if they match the profile of the stock needle. If you need the needle out of the parts carb just yell at me with a mailing address and I'll send it to you.

duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaguy
I moved the clip back where it was and it still doesn't run right when you apply throttle. So, I took the carb off and I'm going to clean the whole thing. I'm thinking there is probably dirt in the main jet.

I want to thank you guys for your responses. This forum is awesome.

Duck: You don't know how much I appreciate your offer. I scratched the needle where the clip grooves are, trying to remove and re-install the clip. I'm afraid that might give me trouble. I'm gonna clean the carb, and button everything back up; hopefully everything we be all right. If I would need anything I'll let you know.

I broke the airbox while working on the bike, which will lead to my next project: an aftermarket air filter.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #9

You may also want to check the rubber intake for cracks. With the cheap rubber from China this is also a possiblity for odd performance.
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 08-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #10

and we all hate cheap rubbers! :roll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy250
You may also want to check the rubber intake for cracks. With the cheap rubber from China this is also a possiblity for odd performance.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #11

Ugh, Made in China Jimmy-hat. Not Kewl!

--Vince