Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #1

Flipped my ATV today

Did something stupid today at Carnegie State Vehicle Recreation Area. I flipped my ATV on a trail I had no business being on. It was narrow, steep, and had this really nasty off camber bump. That bump turned my sideways and I went off the trail and down the moutainside with the ATV on top of me. I'll be OK, but will be limping for a while.

So I get the ATV righted but my front brake handle is sheared off and the handle bars are bent. I'm on the top of a mountain with only rear brakes now. I can't go down the steep hills with only rear brakes. My radio is out of range from my base camp.

Off road riders are really a nice bunch of people. I got a ride on the back of a motorcycle to the valley floor where I could call for help with the radio. I'm grateful for that, but I think the ride down the mountain on the bike was more terrifying than tumbling down the hill. I just closed my eyes and prayed for the bottom.

When I got back to the ATV more people stopped to help me ease the quad down the mountian by tying my ATV to theirs with rope. Without that I don't know what I would have done.

This was not a good ride, but I came out OK in the end and I learned where not to ride.

Lynn Edwards

Old 08-18-2008, 01:36 AM   #2

Just a tip here...If your front brakes go out and you have to continue, consider creeping down in reverse, to take advantage of the stopping power of a lower axle. Only do this if your are comfortable controlling while looking over your shoulder.

Glad to hear all is OK...to many ATV fatalities due to roll-overs.

Shinny side up,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #3

Been there, done that -- too many times, and with a Honda Rincon, which is no lightweight.

I like tigertamers idea of going down the hill in reverse, only I would go frontward, instead of backward, 'cause when you did have to use the rear brake going backward down a steep hill, you are almost guaranteed to pick up the front wheels, or worse.

If it is really steep, the machine will go downhill against the idling pull of the engine, in reverse, and if you thumb it, you're gonna spin the wheels in reverse, and if you're 4WD, that'll slow you down quite a bit -- come to think of it, if you got 4WD, the rear brake operates the brakes on all 4 wheels.

What I have done on occasion is to go down backwards and use my tow rope tied to the front and around a tree in front to sort of ease my hawg over the really rough spots.

It really isn't cool to ride alone -- you know that, I know that, and everyone knows that, but we still do it, 'cause it is really nice out there by yourself sometimes, right ?

I just turned 76 and I'm gonna try to not flip my 4-wheeler anymore, but "it" happens.

If you're afraid of getting hurt, you don't belong on a 4-wheeler or dirt bike . . .

Luke, 11: 21

Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #4

Of course the other riders helped out. They've been there. If you saw someone in need of help, would you stop??? Of course you would, that's what the wave means. Stick to the easy trails until your confidence returns, yes it will return if you ride. Wear your gear. Ride within your abilities. It will probably happen again, a couple times, but don't give up. Limp with pride for a while. 8) Try to find people who have the same riding abilities as you. Play safe Lynn, but keep playing. :wink:

Post what you need in the wanted section if you have trouble sourcing parts locally.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #5

Yup. Offroad riders can be an amazing group. I took a small slow speed spill on some hard pack 10 days ago and dislocated my shoulder. Lucky me about 30 seconds later a couple of riders showed up and one was a phys. therapist. popped my shoulder back in and helped be back to staging and loaded my bike for me. nice ppl are out there!

Old 08-18-2008, 09:24 PM   #6

Very sorry to hear you got Hurt, hopefully you won't have to limp for too long. If nothing else, at least you have good reason to go out and get a set of really nice custom bars and levers!

Seek out, adapt and conquer. Own the bump! You survived what sounds like a terrible crash, make the pain worth something by learning from it.

--Vince

Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #7

The good news is you'll be ok.

The mountains are fun and can be scary.

On our trip to colorado in the early 90's we went up to Buena-vista and camped and rode and it was fun until I decided to ride across the mountain and hit a mound from a fallen tree and it bucked me and I watched my blaster bounce a little and roll and luckily get caught upside down on a tree.
When I got to it and looked over the tree down the mountain, the mountain just dissappeared into the pines.
If that tree hadnt caught the quad it would have been a total loss.

I would never back down a hill on a quad in reverse gear in fact I got a bit upset at my wife for doing that because I dont think she knows what engine braking can do.
So you put it in reverse, start backing down and let off the throttle for whatever reason and the next thing you know the front end is coming up over on you.

In fact I almost never use the low side brakes because of the possibility of flipping over or just losing control.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:20 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for all the kind words.

I am doing quite a bit worse today. Yesterday I could limp around, today it is a struggle to walk. My right calf and ankle have turned into various shades of deep purple and my ankle is so swollen I can't believe I had it in a shoe earlier today. Its just soft tissue injuries - the pain comes when I try to use the muscles in my calf. If it weren't for that I'm sure I do jumping jacks. The ankle is completely painless even though it is so swollen.

I especially appreciated the suggestions on what you all would have done in the absence of help from other riders. I never thought about backing down with just the rear brakes.

When I was hiking back up to the quad (isn't it weird how I could be so limber right after the accident and so incapacitated now) I was trying to formulate a plan. The ranger told me I was on my own. So the best I could come up with was this: I was going to have my friend (and next door neighbor) lower me down in segments with a 100 foot rope from a place where he good get a good foot hold along with me riding and braking the rear wheels. When the going got really steep I was going to flatten all four tires. I was thinking that might give be some adding rolling resistance, but at a cost of maintaining steering control.

Was flattening the tires a stupid idea? Or would it have worked? I've had a lot of ideas in my life that seemed good at the time but didn't pan out so well.

Thanks again for the supportive comments.

Lynn Edwards

Old 08-19-2008, 05:34 AM   #9

I wouldnt flatten the tires by letting all the air out but it is common to lower the tire pressure a little for better off road traction.
Although with atv tires they start off with pretty low pressure and provide good traction at normal tire pressure.

When I'm offroading and come across a big hill I try to find the back way up and around as I prefer to go down the hill first before trying to climb it and sometimes I have to get off the machine and go for a walk to check out hills before attemtping them.

When I go down big fun narly hills I keep my weight back and use the rear brakes the most and most importantly keep the speed very slow.

Unfortunately there arent many hills here that are really scary they (they being the DNR) seem to think we all like riding on flat level ground.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #10

Strange as it may seem, I have found that there are quite often instances in going down a rough hill that you will need to give a quick thumb of throttle in order to get past a place that could stop the machine and, due to its forward momentum, (no matter how slow) cause the machine to flip over, rear end first.

Some of my worst flips have been in this situation, and by looking carefully for obstacles ahead (holes, large rocks, etc) I am able to "goose" the gas enough to "jump" past these "bad places".

Luke, 11: 21

Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Thanks everyone for all the kind words.

I am doing quite a bit worse today. Yesterday I could limp around, today it is a struggle to walk. My right calf and ankle have turned into various shades of deep purple and my ankle is so swollen I can't believe I had it in a shoe earlier today. Its just soft tissue injuries - the pain comes when I try to use the muscles in my calf. If it weren't for that I'm sure I do jumping jacks. The ankle is completely painless even though it is so swollen.
Lynn Edwards
Did the same to my left ankle about 15 years ago when i snagged a groove in the pavement on my Team Fuji. The bike flipped right and i flipped left with my clippless pedals on.

My left ankle had several broken blood vessels and my foot quickly turned black. Wasn't so painful as unsightly! And it hurt pretty bad, had to wear crutches cause of joint pain for a while.

Definitely no fun Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #12

If you go down a steep hill with NO front brakes you will almost certainly go into an uncontrollable slide, fishtailing till your momentum catches up to your limited traction...unless...

I guess it really depends on the situation. 5% grade, paved, dry road...could be 45% grade, loose gravel.

There is no one right way to do this.

Every situation is different, and the course of action should be too.

It's OK to use Jake Brakes in the snow!
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Always Wear a Helmet.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertamer

True, but there is a definite wrong way.

In my opinion and experience on ATV's, backing down a steep hill is suicide unless you have no other option. At least if you're going down face first and momentum takes over, you can still steer. Good luck if you're doing it backwards!! Downshifting and careful use of the rear brake is the best option in this scenario.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertamer

In my opinion and experience on ATV's, backing down a steep hill is suicide unless you have no other option. At least if you're going down face first and momentum takes over, you can still steer. Good luck if you're doing it backwards!! Downshifting and careful use of the rear brake is the best option in this scenario.
Thanks for your input,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Always Wear a Helmet.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite

I was hoping someone would be the voice of reason on this one.

On the bike, I NEVER use the front brake on steep downhills... it's a good way to surrender to gravity. I always come to a dead stop before heading down, while stopped I'm looking for the best line to get to the next safe spot. Heading down I just ease the clutch out, no throttle... if it's very steep I'll lightly ride the rear brake. If it's slick, sandy, rocky or loamy and the rear looses traction, then I'm on the gas... usually with all my weight on the pegs and my butt as far back on the seat as I can get it.

Going backwards down a steep hill on an ATV with only the rear brakes?? Sounds like good plan if your goal is to take a ride in a medical helicopter! You be better off rolling the ATV down the hill and walking down to it.