Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #1

MX Helmet

I have a decent Bell full-face helmet (black), which I bought because I primarily ride on the street. Got it from Walmart for around 80 bucks.

I have a rough time wearing glasses under the helmet, and I have to put the helmet on first and then my glasses. I can just barely get them inside the helmet. I was at a cycle shop the other day and I saw a motocross helmet which my glasses fit under much better, but it was $130.

I'd like to get a red and white one to match my bike, size large, preferably DOT approved.

Anybody know of a decent MX helmet reasonably priced, say between $50 to $75?

Old 08-18-2008, 12:54 AM   #2

Re: MX Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaguy
I have a decent Bell full-face helmet (black), which I bought because I primarily ride on the street. Got it from Walmart for around 80 bucks.

I have a rough time wearing glasses under the helmet, and I have to put the helmet on first and then my glasses. I can just barely get them inside the helmet. I was at a cycle shop the other day and I saw a motocross helmet which my glasses fit under much better, but it was $130.

I'd like to get a red and white one to match my bike, size large, preferably DOT approved.

Anybody know of a decent MX helmet reasonably priced, say between $50 to $75?
Ebay!
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 08-18-2008, 01:05 AM   #3

I ride a cheap motorcycle, (when I'm on the Lifan) but I wear a quality helmet because my melon is the most valued component on my bike!

It's best to use some of the money you saved on your motorcycle purchase and invest in the best helmet you can afford. I have full-face, 3/4, 1/2, and toy novelty "turtle" helmets. the novelty helmets are just that. I will not wear them anymore.

As long as the full-face is DOT approved, and does not appear to be a knock-off...($80 for Bell) then you should just get used to putting your glasses on after donning the helmet. That's how I do it when I wear my full-face

Also, it is possible to trim the Styrofoam enough to make a channel for your stems to fit into making donning you glasses a little easier.

Good luck,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #4

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/AFR.html

This red and white Rockstar is the one I bought new from my local motorcycle shop for about $80. I've probably got about 60-70 hours in it and I really like it. A fat pair of Scott goggles and you're set up nicely for right at about $100. Air flow is good, no whistles or problems. My sunglasses fit perfectly under the Scotts as well.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #5

I got an HJC flip up for street. It has channels for glasses but I can put it on with my glasses on, and a smoke in my mouth. Then flip down the chin guard. I really like my lid. The visors are replacable, good venting too, it cuts through the wind great so at 80mph you don't get whiplash.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to psheffie
AFX makes some nice helmets. I have one mx style helmet that was $60 and another convertable (visor or shield) that was $116.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:58 AM   #7

I really wanted the flip-up kind, just couldn't find one for under $150. The MX does the trick. On the highway at 70 you do have to keep your head level or slightly down or that visor wants to catch the wind and pull your head back. On the other hand the visor does great at blocking the sun...I only wear shades if I have to.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #8

I just did this to mine.

Yeah its my cheap MX helmet with some snaps epoxied on to allow the use of a simple flat visor.
So far it works well.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #9

Not a bad idea, though Scott goggles are pretty comfy if you keep the strap real loose, then they don't leave you with raccoon eyes either.

Your visor would keep the random wasp from lodging into your helmet on the interstate. Happended to me years ago but it got in my shirt and stung me 4-5 times before I could stop and get it out!
:x

Old 08-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #10

Yep got a set of goggles that I use when offroading but the visor is for on road and should allow me to wear my sun glasses if I want but more importantly if it works I can do it to my wifes helmet and she'll be able to wear her glasses.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #11

I did a road test in the hard rain last night, about 2 hours. The bike did excellent, even on those stock, knobby cheng shins, but my MX helmet allowed my nose and upper lip to get pelted with rain drops, especially at high speeds. Now if I had a mustache I'd probably not mind it so much.

Yet another benefit of your visor over goggles.