Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #16

The foot peg looks too high. It's going to kill your knees.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #17

the honda pegs? they're kinda sportbikey, but those bikes were the predecessors to modern sport bikes

Old 08-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #18

nah not too bad.. actually quite comfortable..

This thing is a crotch rocket killer....

Old 08-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #19

my dad had a bike like that, a cb 4 cylinder, it was waaaaaaay fast, i agree those bikes can rip a crotch rocket to pieces

Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #20

Yeah these old bikes are fast and confortable. My Ex-bike was a GS 1000 and it could haul, but NA against a new sport bike it doesn't stand a chance. On the other hand I heard that these old "sport bikes" (I like to call them "stand up" bikes) can take over 30 psi of boost. That is probobly why you see so many of these old Fours on the drag strips.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #21

...Just to add to the insanity, For SURE the old, Single Cam Cb750 Motor, could run a 40 horse shot of squeeze, repetitively. Trashes primary and secondary chains like you wouldn't believe, but the engine takes it just lovely. We only had enough bottle on board for 15 seconds, though...

Thinking about it, I wonder how much bottle a China 200 would take... Hmmm. I wonder where I can get orifices that small.

--Vince

Old 08-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #22

You guys are nuts. A modern 600cc sportbike will rip any of those old CB's to shreds. Don't get me wrong, I've ridden many miles on CB's, but they are very heavy and way underpowered by todays standards. Add a couple of turns into the equation and the CB will loose out in a big way.
Think I'm wrong? Go take a test ride on an FZR or a GSXR 600 and then come back and talk about it.
Not slamming here, but I think you guys are a bit behind the times. The bike weighs in at over 600lbs dry and only has 90hp at the crank. A new 600 weighs in at 350lbs and has 125hp at the crank, not to mention redlines at something like 14,000 rpms.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #23

74 Horses at the crank on a CB750, single cam, 80 with the twincam, (or Cb750F, if you prefer.) provided you can keep the cam chain intact.

While I agree with Mr. Head's comment wholeheartedly: The equipment doesn't matter. Heavy, slow questionable steering geometry-- No problem. What matters is the pilot. Having a .460 Weatherby Magnum, does not make you a better shot, than a dude with a .22

On the same weekend a year ago, I wiped the floor with a CBR900RR, and later that day got my arse handed to me by a Hardley RoadThing. The equipment is secondary. The rider makes the difference. (Both Incidents on old #55 Highway through the Qu'Appelle valley)

Man! The Old Guy[!] on the RoadThing would take lines I wouldn't try with a FZR! Nice Spark Show too! Nothing is as humbling as getting schooled by a really old guy on a Hardley.

--Vince

Old 08-24-2008, 01:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake
While I agree with Mr. Head's comment wholeheartedly: The equipment doesn't matter.

--Vince

Old 08-24-2008, 02:14 AM   #25

Holy Crapinski! 8O

--Okay, you win. Getting Learned by that would have definately been worse than getting schooled by a Hardley.

--Vince

Old 08-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #26

Air cooled motors can take a hell of a lot more presure than the new liquid cooled motors. BUT you do compermise on weight. The older bikes weigh upwards of 600#s so cornering is out, but damn there fast.

The perfect mix is a new GSXR1000. Its light weight, under 400lbs, and powerfull, stock the new ones got somthing like 190whp.

Thats right, Hyabusa(woping 600#s) can't corner, and 600 is too small (aka slow). So if I was going to drag id run with an old bored out GS with a giant supercharger and show these BUSAs who is boss. AND if id corner id use a GSXR1000 for its lightweightnessness.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Holy Crapinski! 8O

--Okay, you win. Getting Learned by that would have definately been worse than getting schooled by a Hardley.

--Vince
That Wing he's riding is far from stock! There's another video of him passing a GSXR and a Ducati 996 in a turn. Funny thing is, the camera bike is also a GL1800, but it dosen't have the suspension that Yellowwolf's bike has.

And don't feel too bad about getting spanked by a Harley, some of them can be pretty awesome in the right hands. A guy I know has a Sportster 883 that is built for road racing. He can really mop the floor with most average sportbike riders.
Locally there's a guy who rides 421 on a KLR 650, it's a sight to see how fast he is through the turns. So yeah, the rider is the most important part of the equation, but you can't rule out hardware!

Old 08-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #28

I met a guy on a cbx 6 carb monster. He was all smiles. He said, "Twice the horsepower of a sports bike, and twice the weight!" He went on to tell me he liked the heavy bike. He was a big guy, and had no problem throwing his weight around. I SORT of have to go along with Vince. The rider has a lot to do with the perfomance of a bike. :roll:

Old 08-25-2008, 02:36 AM   #29

You have to match the equipment to the job, *and* the rider.

Best example: Cb350. At my height and weight (6'7", 255lbs) It's a decent in-city commuter, with sterling efficiency! But I can't see behind me, cause the mirrors are too narrow, there's nowhere to hide from the wind blast on the open road, and my toes scrape the ground when I get violent in the twisties. She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed hustles down the highway, and through the valleys, happily and complains about hardly reaching the ground at stoplights. (5'2" 125)

Something I thought was kind of funny, here is Saskatchfarm, with the straightest, most boring roads in Canada, there's a ton of sportbikes. According to the local Honda dealer, Sportbikes outsell Cruisers 2:1.

Last time I was in B.C., (Kamloops Specifically)home of some of the rankest, curviest, turn and burn fun roads in Western Canada, I stopped in at the Local Yamaha dealer, and there were no Sportbikes! Nada, Zero, Zilch! I asks SalesDude, "WTF?" and He says,"We don't stock them anymore, we found we couldn't give them away..."

And next time I see a yellow 1800 'wing, I think I'll take the next exit...
--Vince

Old 08-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #30

Quote:
And next time I see a yellow 1800 'wing, I think I'll take the next exit...
--Vince
The way he's riding that wing is the way you need to be riding that CB...get low, hang off the seat as far as you can and keep the bike as upright as you can. I ground the mufflers and the ends of the pegs off of my CB 350 before I learned how to ride it. Just watch out for the headshake! It usually hits in a sweeper at around 75~80mph... and all the old CB's are prone to it from the 350's to the 750's, I think even the SuperSport 900's did it as well. Just give it more gas and hang on, it'll smooth out, but it comes back when you slow down too.