Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 12:19 AM   #1

Disc or Drum???

Ok, I'm narrowing down my search......One question I have is do you really notice a great difference in braking power between the drum rear and a disc rear on a bike of this size? I ride both a KLR650(rear disc) and a XL500R(drum) and to tell you the truth, braking mostly seems to come down to best traction since both can easily break the rear tire loose under heavy braking. So is it worth the extra $$$ for the rear disc on a 200cc bike?

Old 02-22-2007, 08:34 AM   #2

I can't really compare the two, as I have never had a bike with a drum on it. But my bike is doing fine with the disc, no lock ups yet.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:44 AM   #3

I think the disk/disk setup is best suited for those using these for on road use the majority of the time. But, the difference shouldn't be that different until you really start riding them hard.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 02-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #4

We have discussed this before, although not in depth. Pullin Gs who is a member here, but started a very "controversial" thread on Thumpertalk about his "older" (probably 2004 model) bike stated that there is not much difference on a past post somewhere (most likely on a Yahoo! Group). He has an old Redcat (I think) enduro with the standard forks and drum brakes.

The main difference that I can see is that most of the new bikes (2006 and up) all come with the upside down forks and dual discs. There is probably some minuscule performance advantage, but it seems more of a "features" thing to me (as in; "Get the latest, greatest bike featuring dual disc brakes and upside down forks....")

My argument before was that you should be able to get a better deal on the "old style" bikes because the companies should acknowledge, or you can point out to a dealer, that the "new" bikes come with dual discs and upside down forks (assuming they are trying to push the "old" one on you for more $$) If you look on Ebay for reference, there are a few of the drum brake/standard fork models going for lower cost than the "new and improved" models--essentially the exact same bike with minimal braking differences between the two.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #5

I have a drum on my Zongshen Sierra 200 and when I went to buy the bike it wasn't an issue for me because all of the big four Japanise bikes in the size still use drums, so I figured if it was good enough for them, good enough for me.

After seeing that some of the guys with disk brakes in the rear are experiancing lockups, I am glad I have what I have.

It has a good feel and takes a lot of pressure to lock up the rear wheel. I am very confident in my brakes, now it is just a matter of seeing how long they hold up. Also I don't compete on a track where the constant breaking would cause heat issues. If I lived in a very hilly area I might look for a bike with a disk/disk setup.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #6

Disc brakes are supposed to perform better in wet conditions but i'm sure that's just a matter of opinion..

Old 02-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #7

On a small 200cc bike the choice of brake systems is not an issue. I would not rule out a bike with drums at all. Yamaha still puts drum brakes on their 200cc and 225cc bikes. The weight is not enough to warrant a disc brake IMHO. You are not trying to stop a 500lb - 700lb streetbike. For the ChinaBike, either one is gonna work very well. Drum brakes are definitely easier to work on though... Buy what you like to look at and don't stress over it. Main thing is... go for a ride.... and have a TON of fun!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #8

The break down on brakes

Disk brakes vs. Drums

Disk Brake.................Drum Brake
Lighter Weight............................Only important for racing
Almost always hydraulic..............Mechanical or hydraulic, (cable may break especially if tempered by repeated overheating, easy repair.)
Dissipates heat faster..................Resists warping better
Pad wear is visible.......................Check mechanical wear indicator
Stronger clamping force...............Drums are used on many vehicles from scooters to big rigs.
Cost more....................................Cost less
Dry faster when wet.....................Braking surface doesn’t get wet unless submerged
Better feel....................................feel is subjective and can be related to pad quality and adjustment
Look better..................................Canâ€℠¢t replace with wild aftermarket colored and drilled rotors, but you can paint to match body.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
We have discussed this before, although not in depth. Pullin Gs who is a member here, but started a very "controversial" thread on Thumpertalk about his "older" (probably 2004 model) bike stated that there is not much difference on a past post somewhere (most likely on a Yahoo! Group). He has an old Redcat (I think) enduro with the standard forks and drum brakes.

The main difference that I can see is that most of the new bikes (2006 and up) all come with the upside down forks and dual discs. There is probably some minuscule performance advantage, but it seems more of a "features" thing to me (as in; "Get the latest, greatest bike featuring dual disc brakes and upside down forks....")

My argument before was that you should be able to get a better deal on the "old style" bikes because the companies should acknowledge, or you can point out to a dealer, that the "new" bikes come with dual discs and upside down forks (assuming they are trying to push the "old" one on you for more $$) If you look on Ebay for reference, there are a few of the drum brake/standard fork models going for lower cost than the "new and improved" models--essentially the exact same bike with minimal braking differences between the two.
That was my take on it as well....I'm not interested in latest and greatest, I really like simple! I've been seriously looking at the Hi-Bird's as my first choice.....I don't think the usd forks and disc brakes are going to be worth the extra $$ for simple trail riding and commuting use.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
i think i would just get the disc brakes for the simple fact that it is a newer technology, it is an improvement, easier to take apart and fix, doesnt need adjustment, and looks better. I wouldnt spend much more money for that fact tho. Its not like the rear brake really makes much importance on a street bike, it may only do about 30% of the total braking at most. off road, on the other hand it makes a difference for when you want to take a tight turn and kick the back out...

but they both do their job and i would say if the money is really a large difference, skip it and get whatever fits your budget.

just make sure not to wine and ride tho

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #11

Lol!....No red wine for me before riding!! Of course a nice glass or two of Chianti afterwards sounds good..... :wink:

Old 02-23-2007, 04:56 AM   #12

I've both on my 2 china bikes. I'd prefer a disc setup as the stopping power is more linear than off the drum. The drum locks up pretty easy and fast too and is very dangerous when doing emergency stopping. I use both my bikes for workplace commuting and shares lane with cars on the road. So I'd prefer a disc as its more controllable.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #13

I almost never use my back brake.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:14 AM   #14

I like discs because it's easier to take the wheel off and on -- don't have to disconnect and then re-adjust anything... but maybe they've changed how the drums are now - I haven't had a bike with drum brakes for so long.

I think both will work fine on these bikes, but my personal preference is the feel and ease of hydraulics.

PS - I like your other bikes too -- I had a KLR650 that I loved and I really wanted one of the red white and blue XL600's when they came out in mid 80's (yeah, I know your's is the 500, but still, sweet.) I still remember the test ride in Dirt Rider -- custom plate IT XLS
'02 Kawasaki KX125