Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 12:41 AM   #1

The GY-5 turns 20!!

Since I bought my GY-5 in December I have put 2000 miles on her without a single problem. I couldnt be any happier with this bike. Now there is a secret....MAINTENANCE! I check everything daily, tire pressure, chain, nuts and bolts, you name it. The oil is changed every 450 miles and the plug is removed, inspected, cleaned, re-gapped or replaced. The only problem I have is staying off of this bike. It has become my only mode of transportation and the pickup is now the secondary. Right at 300 miles everything decided to mesh and fit, there is no longer any noticeable engine brake and cranks up on the first push of the start button (that is impressive for an air cooled engine). I swapped out the NGK D8EA plug for an Iridium plug @ 200 miles and use only Kawasaki 4 stroke engine oil, this oil is great stuff, since I switch over from conventional Castrol 10W40 there has been a major difference in clutch engagement and shifting. At 450 miles the oil is as clean as it was when it went in and that is no tall tale! I skinned the rims with a fresh set of Bridgestone Trailwing 70-30's, now she corners more like a street bike than a dual sport, I was skeptical at first about the off road capabilities of the tires until I took her through an ATV trail after a hard rain and the tires handled flawlessly. So I hope you guys are getting as much enjoyment out of your bikes as I am. Ride on and ride safe.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:34 AM   #2

Soon as the weather breaks around here I will post my report like this... I intend to ride the wheels off of my Lifan.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Bridgestone Trailwing 70-30
Deathwings?! Stay outta the mud!!

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 02-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #4

Re: The GY-5 turns 20!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Tech
I skinned the rims with a fresh set of Bridgestone Trailwing 70-30's, now she corners more like a street bike than a dual sport,
If you have the link where you got these it can be added to the Cross Reference Parts List thread at the top.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 02-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #5

Jet, glad to here all is well with your scoot, I agree, maintenance IS key with these bikes and any bike for that matter... I've got almost 300 miles on mine now and I can feel things starting to mesh and I'm getting more top end than I did when it was new.. Thanks for all the great advice...

Old 02-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #6

Did somebody say something about stay out of the mud :?: :!: Shoooooooooooooooooooooooot! not me. These bad boys are on their last leg, but just keep the accelerated pinned and you'll just fine :twisted:

Old 02-22-2007, 02:27 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
with that rubber I would stay out of the rain, But hett have fun and be , no just have fun.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #8

Breaking + those tires = not good I am waiting on a new tire. No riding while wet. Breaking distance is high!

Old 02-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #9

Hey Sheadouglas, Thanks for those great pics man!

I was wondering what the differances where between the Honda based bike's sprocket and my Yamaha based bike was.

I can clearly see that the bolt patern is diferent.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #10

Speaking of bolts, screws or whatever. Those of you that havent checked the ALLEN HEAD BOLTS on the opposite side of the sprocket (looking from the picture above, the right side of the tire) you better do it. I have only 3 of them now, thanks to one snapping off. They are consistently coming loose. (not anymore due to locktite) You wouldnt want to loose those while riding down the road.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #11

Replace the nuts with Nylocs, or go with a "Big 3" self locking nut. It is best to replace self locking nuts and the bolts they go on at least every other time you remove them. I'm pretty bad at following that advice. The metal self lockers bite into the bolt, so they get less effective at holding with each use. Nylocs have a nylon ring pressed into them, they are better for extended reuse.