Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #31

I wouldnt ride a 125 or a 200 on the street around here, the cars drivers just dont see bikes, a small bike only makes it worse. City driving is terrible.

I could tell you the story of a car driver intentionally trying to run me off the road repeatedly, on a totally clear 6 lane highway. After avoiding the assualt for 3/4mi, Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration saved me there. The cop clocked me at 132mph on my CB750. Luckily he had seen the whole event, no ticket, but he didnt want to see me doing that again... He took off after the car, hope he caught him. Oh, I could go on and on about the loonies out there!

Street bikes only have two advantages over cars; manoeverability and acceleration. The 200's give up the acceleration advantage. I would never allow my kid to ride street here, and for myself, 600cc or better

But, out in the rural areas, I would imagine a driver on a small bike would fare much better, but would still have to be incredibly careful.

It's to easy to have the right-of-way and still be dead.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #32

ob1, where is here?

Old 02-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobiker
LOL yea growin up in the 70s-80s with only my dad workin as a bricklayer, there wasn't much money for new parts let alone new bikes. Heck I was 12 (the old red neck thinkin, the boy will grow into it, 360cc ????) and the old man bought me a 73 Yamadawg DT 360 enduro I had more fun on that old metal tanked metal fender peice of junk, but with some redneck knowledge and plastic parts from other bikes, and sprocket changes it was a cool ride. LOL maybe thats why I got into hd's, the joy of makin somethin cool outta somethin that starts out a rat. Sounds like we woulda been riddin together if we were in the same vicinity, I was gonna say neighborhood but I grew up surrounded by dairy farms.
That brings back such fond memories. Especially the "he'll grow into it" part. My first bike was a 60's or 70's something Hodaka Wombat 100. Got it when I was like 9 or 10 and about half killed myslef on it a dozen times. Had a steel tank off some other bike, but it kinda fit and didn't leak much. Had a plastic front fender on the rear (yes, you read that right ) and a steel kinda chrome looking front fender off my old tote goat on the front. The thing was a beast, but kick started on the first kick every time and ran like a champ. Used to mix old motor oil in with the gas as we couldn't afford the "expensive" 2 stroke oil. Mixed a quart of motor oil to 5 gallons of gas and it ran just fine. It was beat to hell when I got it and I beat it for 5 or 6 more years, then cut the chassis up and started to make a go kart out of it but I found out about girls and never finished the project :( . Point is, do what you gotta do to ride. It's all good as long as it's reasonably safe . BTW I still have a nice scar on my leg where I flipped the Hodaka and the underside of the steel tank gouged a big chunk of flesh out of my ankle. Wrapped a sock around it and rode 'till the tank was dry. Good times.........

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 02-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #34

Here is Charleston SC.

The drivers are so talented, you can tell when you've crossed the county line when people suddenly start doing really stupid stuff in traffic.

It is amazing.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:44 PM   #35

Ha, Ha, It must be a southern thing, It's the same way here in FL.

Ya got old people and young people, not a good mix of drivers...
I try to keep it to the backroads...

Old 02-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #36

I truly wish Ant all the best.

I got my first bike here in Florida when I was 15 it was a 49cc AMF moped. Yup a Harley. Talk about learning to drive defensive. I couldn't out accelerate a 10 speed. Any way I put a whole lota miles on that thing. I never wreaked it, I guess I was lucky. I had some punk deliberately run me off the road once. I got on the sidewalk then cut through a baseball field to get away from him. I still don't know why he was messing with me.

Anyway I took a break from bikes for awhile but I am now riding my 200cc DS to work every day it isn't raining. Some days it seems like every car is out to get you. I pretend that I am completely invisible. When I am stopped at a light I am constantly squeezing and releasing my break lever, my eyes are in the mirror until at least two cars behind me have come to a complete stop. And as you can see be my avitar I am dressed like the yellow powerranger.

I still expect that I will get hit one day, yet I still choose to ride, go figure. :wink:

Old 02-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #37

Ant, I grew up with a licsense @ 14. Dont worry about the response from some of these lillylivers. Just fix your bike or if your rich buy another. Dont piss off the cops, stay in school and ride brother ride. If you live near Gatlinburg, I've got a niece that you might like to meet. Only problem is that she is probably more dangerous than any chinabike.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:20 PM   #38

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassador
Were you drinking wine????
damn me being sick and not beating you to the punch on this!

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:32 AM   #39

I have always believed that you have the right of way when someone else "gives" it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1
It's to easy to have the right-of-way and still be dead.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:09 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
Are you sure those front forks aren't tweeked? It sure looks it in the pic. If you're going to need new forks, front wheel (definately) and all that other stuff, it might be just as cheep to buy a new bike. Seriously. I can guarantee that if your rolled it, the rear frame is tweeked also, and probably lots of other stuff you haven't dug into yet. You're looking at $500.00+ in parts alone. Sorry for your spill, but very glad to hear you walked away.
one way to find out if the fork is bent is to roll it on to a really flat surface, like on a kitchen counter. IF it is bent then you have to also check the frame near the bearing just beneath under the handlebar.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:55 PM   #41

Send a message via MSN to bfe71730 Send a message via Yahoo to bfe71730
Hey Ant, It looks like I'm gonna part out that old Xingfu bike, I got it just for the motor anyway, make me an offer and the whole front end is yours. The forks are straight, fender is fine, front wheel has drum brakes. Take shipping into consideration, It'll probably cost $50 or more to ship all of it. I have a pic of it in my photo album.
1983 Honda ATC 200X
1974 Kawasaki KE100