Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Today, 11:35 AM   #31

These are some great posts, thanks again for everyone's input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Brand name bikes are the way to go once you have experience--even a year or two. My reasoning is even with the fact of resale value, once you go down a bunch of times, the cost to fix the bike with genuine parts adds up while the resale value goes down
Edit: The $4k KLX 230 seems like a good contender even with the near 35" seat height (vs. the usual 36" height found on most every bike). The $5k KLX 230 S has an even shorter seat, but it doesn't seem like that should justify $1k more (I admit I didn't read all the details besides that differentiating the two). Both are fuel-injected and have 6 speeds.
This is my thought as well, the S is what I'm getting quoted on in at the dealership, and when I saw the 5K price tag, I basically abandoned all hope of ever getting it even if it is almost the perfect height for short fellas like me.

I have seen it used nearby, but that gets me into the next problem I'm having;

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
I'd say if you can find a used Yamaha XT225 'serow' / XT250 or Kawasaki 'Super Sherpa'
A lot of my reasoning for looking into the Chonda market to begin with was because of my frustration with the used market. It's very common for me to call up someone with a used deal at the price I feel should be worth it just to ask "Is this title in your name" or "Is this a salvage title" and be told "No, and yes". Which is code for "It was never mine to try flipping on Facebook or Craigs List, but I was hoping you wouldn't notice".

An XT250, looking at my options, would run me about 4,400 used with 8K miles. I'm sure it's a fantastic bike, but 4.4K fantastic? That's why I think the people steering me toward the KPX or the XPECT may be onto something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
It is undeniable that EFI has some risk. A carburetor doesn't have sensors and complexity. EFI can require modification/adjustment if it is set up too lean, and a glitchy or failed sensor can take lots of testing to isolate and repair. Lifan is better about this, but no support if it is a Hawk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do©Hawk View Post
The China bikes are well worth what they cost. You'll get your money's worth out of it and then some. You can run a China bike til it turns to dust as long as you have the mechanical ability(not rocket science) and the testicular(or vaginal) fortitude to handle problems. Parts are available you just need to research harder to find the right ones.

You have the information to make an informed decision. You have to make it and own it. It won't be easy, but in the end, it will be yours. Good luck.
And these are more good points about them as well. I have experience with Carburetors and re-jetting carbs in small engines. I do not have much experience flashing EFIs to get better performance. Nor am I too familiar with any aftermarket equipment to do that for any of these bikes. An EJK For a Japanese bike costs $150 and will keep it tuned to any spec you desire for life, and AFAIK nothing like that exists for a bike like the KPX.

Though, I live practically at +300 feet of Sea Level, and this doesn't change until I get far away from where I'm going to be using it. I wasn't going to be using it as a commuter bike unless something catastrophic happens, so it was mostly going to be off-road recreational in and around where I live. So the default EFI settings may be just fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
Are you the type of person to change your own oil or take it to a Jiffy Lube? I'm guessing you're a Jiffy Lube kinda guy.
Not sure what you need to hear that hasn't been covered. Make up your damn mind and buy something. RIDE SAFE!
Nah, none of my vehicles would have lasted as long if I was a jiffy lube kind of guy. I service every single thing I own as much as I can without specialized tools. But I think I did make up my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusman View Post
I have 2 Chondas and 2 Japanese bikes. My 2019 carbureted Hawk 250 has been a champ for the last 17,000 miles, but I’ve replaced nearly every major part on it such that the only thing that’s really OEM Hawk is the frame, and even that has been heavily modified with extra welds, bracing, etc. If you like tinkering, a carbureted Hawk 250 is great. If you want reliability, near Japanese quality, and minimal tinkering compared to the Hawk, go with a Lifan KPX250. It has a 35.6 inch seat height though, so that may be a factor; but, some people have lowered it an inch or so to make it tolerable for people like us who are vertically challenged (I have a 30” inseam, so I too have to be aware of the seat height issue).

I think this is the solution. Spend the little extra (It's not even that much extra) and get the Lifan and deal with the Seat Height issues. No having to argue with the DOT about MSOs and the like.

I think I've made up my mind in that case, Thanks everyone.

Old Today, 01:52 PM   #32

Nice. If it helps, my next bike will be a KPX250. Love the Hawk, will probably keep it for visitors like the brother-in-law to ride.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but if this is your first bike, PLEASE check out the Motorcycle Safety Foundation:

https://msf-usa.org/

They will teach you things that will save your life.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin