Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #1

Fitting my headlight

Hi people. Can any of you help me with one of the last jobs I need to complete before getting my Lifan GY200 on the road...?

The central fastening point of the headlight cowl seems to attach to the protruding bracket by a bolt which is much narrower than the hole through which it passes. Could someone please put me out of my misery and tell me what I should do to secure the cowl to the frame bracket? And before anyone asks, nope - there wasn't a nut small enough supplied with the bike.

(I know this might sound a little dim, but this is the first bike i've had to assemble myself.)

And thanks for the tips and advice I've taken from reading other users' posts on this site already. I had no idea there was such a large online community for us Chinese bike owners...

M

Old 02-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
Yes It is smaller. add a fender washer. are the rubber gromnet in the headlight?

Old 02-17-2007, 06:04 AM   #3

Yep, the rubber grommets are in the headlight. This is so annoying as it's the last thing I have to do! What does the fender washer look like?

Old 02-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #4

You should have 3 screws, they look just like the ones that hold your side panels on, the screw for the bottom should have a rubber washer on it.. The holes on mine didn't match up perfectly, took a little bit to get them in but they do line up, you may have to bend the brackets a little bit...Hope this helps...

Old 02-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #5

Thanks, Ambassador. You've helped me greatly. You'll never guess what I was doing... trying to pass the headlight angle adjustment thread through the mounting hole on the cowl. With a little bit of friendly persuasion, the bracket bent sufficiently to allow me to put the fairing bolt and rubber washer through the correct hole and on to the bracket.

While I'm on, can I ask another dumb question?

I'm assuming the connector hanging out of the wire bundle behind the headlight (with a red and red/green wire) is some sort of earth cable, and should be screwed to the frame somewhere. Am i right, and if I'm not, what should I do with it? The wiring diagram seems to say it's a diode - and my very basic electrical knowledge suggests this is some sort of voltage control.

And I've a funny feeling I may blow fuses if I just ignore it!

Old 02-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #6

Not a clue what it is but I know what your talking about, I just bundled it up with the other loose wires and zip-tied them, although it does look like it should be grounded? Anyone else know what this is? My bike runs fine and all electrics work so who knows...

Old 02-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
I figuire by now you have it together, it did not come with washers I added some that covered the rubber part, you can check your book it has a wireing diagam in the back. but it's not always right. good luck.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #8

That lil doo hickey is your headlight rectifier, it keeps your headlight from destroying itself when you rev the engine.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:20 AM   #9

Hey Jet,
Does it need to be grounded? If it does, everything around that area is painted. I think it's fine the way I have it?? Any suggestions??

Old 02-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #10

Hey ambassador... If it does need to be grounded (and on my GY200, it is at the moment), I've bolted mine to the bottom yoke where it meets the front mudguard mouting bolts. At least then it's touching solid metal and an alloy fitting. Any suggestions on this will be very welcome.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #11

I just tucked mine back into the wire harness and never had a problem. The prongs look a little frail and if bolted to a rigid point vibration might crack it.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #12

I did the same, bike runs fine...