Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2024, 09:28 AM   #91

Well I rode to Wheeling yesterday. I had to. I didn't get very wet but something funny happened and I once again proved my noobness.

On the way out of Moundsville I thought I heard something fall off of the Hawk. Well, I pulled over and did a visual. Nothing.

When I got to Wheeling I realized that the tank vent tube thingy was gone. Well it was sprinkling so I thought I'd put a little piece of tape over the hole to protect from rain getting in.

Fast forward to me on the way home on Rt 2. Doing about 55 and all of a sudden the bike dies. Just dies! I pull over..cant get her to start no matter what I do. I am in panic mode and then I see it..that piece of tape over the vent hole.

Pulled it off, bike fired up and I came home. So..dont put anything over that vent hole when you lose the tube and..i guess my tank is definately air tight. heheh

i know some of you are laughing and thats ok.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:20 PM   #92

Self-inflicted is completely acceptable. It's when it's shipped plugged on your brand new bike, and you spend hours on a forum trying to figure out why you're always walking home, is when it's unacceptable.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-26-2024, 04:40 PM   #93

I think one of my very first questions on here was why won't my TT250 start, they ship it with a little gas so wtf? It was a *little* gas, and I just needed to turn the petcock to reserve, which took me two days to figure out (it was/is my first motorcycle). Then I'd ride for 15min and it would die, and turns out they shipped it with the lines reversed to the carbon canister so it was creating a vacuum in the tank... same thing!

Old 01-26-2024, 07:37 PM   #94

Or it could be like my Orion which apparently shipped with a petcock with no pickup tube on it. Both inlets are at the same height. So flipping the petcock from "run" to "reserve" does... nothing!

I keep one of those MSR fuel bottles strapped to the side. There's your reserve.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:27 AM   #95

Well, I took the bike off of the marketplace. I see too many Hawks on there with fewer than 1000 miles for less than what I am asking. I know my sweat and blood are worth nothing, so I cannot in good conscience sell the Hawk for $1400 when it's got over 6000 miles on it, even with the modifications I've done so far. And there is no way I can take less than that for her.

But the really big reason I changed my mind is because after riding her yesterday, I remembered why I love her, and I am not going to let freezing weather make me forget that again.

Old 01-27-2024, 11:24 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
Well, I took the bike off of the marketplace. I see too many Hawks on there with fewer than 1000 miles for less than what I am asking. I know my sweat and blood are worth nothing, so I cannot in good conscience sell the Hawk for $1400 when it's got over 6000 miles on it, even with the modifications I've done so far. And there is no way I can take less than that for her.

But the really big reason I changed my mind is because after riding her yesterday, I remembered why I love her, and I am not going to let freezing weather make me forget that again.
You also need to keep in mind that you have already invested in tax, and title, and with any bike you may replace the Hawk with, will still cost you sales tax, and title fees. The best thing you can do, IMO, is to do something about your missing spoke, so you can enjoy your bike without worrying about the wheel. I know money doesn't grow on trees, but you have a bike that as long as you don't take it out, and bend up the forks, and swing arm, will be cheap, and easy to key going. Even a brand new CG motor, is evidently not real expensive, and several have been going with the OHC, 6 speed motors, but the process is more expensive. I think that when someone gets a bike like a Hawk, they are probably best to either ride it into the ground, and only spend what's absolutely necessary on it, and selling it cheap ( like the parts bike,I bought), OR plan on keeping it as long as possible, and spend a little to keep it going, and to upgrade it as desired.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:06 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
You also need to keep in mind that you have already invested in tax, and title, and with any bike you may replace the Hawk with, will still cost you sales tax, and title fees. The best thing you can do, IMO, is to do something about your missing spoke, so you can enjoy your bike without worrying about the wheel. I know money doesn't grow on trees, but you have a bike that as long as you don't take it out, and bend up the forks, and swing arm, will be cheap, and easy to key going. Even a brand new CG motor, is evidently not real expensive, and several have been going with the OHC, 6 speed motors, but the process is more expensive. I think that when someone gets a bike like a Hawk, they are probably best to either ride it into the ground, and only spend what's absolutely necessary on it, and selling it cheap ( like the parts bike,I bought), OR plan on keeping it as long as possible, and spend a little to keep it going, and to upgrade it as desired.
Yeah shes a keeper I guess. Not too worried about the spoke until spring when I go into the vast unknown wilderness again (lol).

Old 01-29-2024, 07:23 PM   #98

Zapkin I have a 2021 TBR7 8600 miles, and running strong. Hoping for 8000 more miles,and more time will tell. Love these china bikes. How did you break a spoke? Never any problems with my spokes,and have never tighten any on any bike i've ever had. But i hear theres problems on some of these bikes. Get that spoke fixed!

Old 01-30-2024, 08:57 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Zapkin I have a 2021 TBR7 8600 miles, and running strong. Hoping for 8000 more miles,and more time will tell. Love these china bikes. How did you break a spoke? Never any problems with my spokes,and have never tighten any on any bike i've ever had. But i hear theres problems on some of these bikes. Get that spoke fixed!
well I am pretty sure that I either snagged it on something on the trails that loosened it way up or that one time I got air. I am a big boy and that one time I got air could have been it. right now I am not worried about it. i only ride around town at the moment, but when it gets warm I am getting a new rim. i just wish i was 30 years younger dammit.

Old 01-30-2024, 05:21 PM   #100

are you sure replacing a rim will be any cheaper than just getting a new back wheel? by the time you strip down and re lace the new rim and tune it you could be in deeper then a new wheel.

Old 01-30-2024, 08:26 PM   #101

$30 for a set of 32 (16 of each of 2 different bends)spokes from Ebay + $10 for a Tusk spoke wrench on Amazon. $40 and a little time and effort could get you all squared away. I know it seems intimidating, but it is very doable. Just like many of the other fixes, watch some videos, get an idea of the process, then dive in.

I had no experience with any of this before removing my wheel and tire and getting it done. I had to replace 4 spokes. Haven't had a problem since.

Edit to add... Forgot I also had to buy tire bars. 2 24" ones from Harbor Freight @ $6 each and a pair of 10" tire bars from AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts that cost $10.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)

Old 01-30-2024, 09:54 PM   #102

Spokes are fairly cheap its the rims that can blow out costs. I'm looking at replacment stainless steel rims for my XL185, which are not more expensive than alloy and for me just the 1 rim shipped is over $170AUD or $111USD + spokes and time. Heck you might even get free rubber on the replacent back wheel...

If I'm not mistaken Zapkin's rim is damaged not just the missing spoke.

https://txpowersports.com/ricky-powe....100030.02.htm

Old 01-31-2024, 10:49 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
Spokes are fairly cheap its the rims that can blow out costs. I'm looking at replacment stainless steel rims for my XL185, which are not more expensive than alloy and for me just the 1 rim shipped is over $170AUD or $111USD + spokes and time. Heck you might even get free rubber on the replacent back wheel...

If I'm not mistaken Zapkin's rim is damaged not just the missing spoke.

https://txpowersports.com/ricky-powe....100030.02.htm
Yeah the rim is damaged where the spoke goes in. It looks as though it was ripped out. I slapped a gob of JB Weld over it to keep it the tube from popping out. Its gonna be 180.00 or so for the rear rim. I am going to keep it like it is for now, but when spring comes and I want to go further into the unknown wilderness (haha) I'll replace it and also get my road side assistance back in effect.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:52 AM   #104

Fuel Guage fix

I am just posting this here so as not to bloat the forum with another stupid question from Zapkin. hehe. I have decided to replace my fuel sensor. I was told that this was a direct replacement and will fix the issue of the gauge only registering until half a tank (when its on E there is still half a tank).

https://cscmotorcycles.com/zt8-113-0...roduct-reviews

Seems like a cheap fix. Is there anything I need to know about replacing it?

Thanks in advance fellas.

(if I aint selling it, I guess I gotta keep upgrading it)

Old 01-31-2024, 03:09 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
I am just posting this here so as not to bloat the forum with another stupid question from Zapkin. hehe. I have decided to replace my fuel sensor. I was told that this was a direct replacement and will fix the issue of the gauge only registering until half a tank (when its on E there is still half a tank).

https://cscmotorcycles.com/zt8-113-0...roduct-reviews

Seems like a cheap fix. Is there anything I need to know about replacing it?

Thanks in advance fellas.

(if I aint selling it, I guess I gotta keep upgrading it)
My gut feeling is that is very possible that it's no better quality than your stock one. There is probably some "hit, and miss " with accuracy.. If you do order from CSC, then make sure you get whatever gasket you need for that sending unit, and maybe a spare as well. I seen on one of the Facebook groups were they can leak, and one guy recommended making a gasket from an old inner tube. OH yeah, be very careful not to break, or strip the bolts, or threads. In my opinion, I wouldn't fool with it, and while it may be due partially to laziness, but also, the fact that you have a reserve on the bike, and the chance that you may replace it, and the gauge still acts the same.. I have heard of some people bending the rod that the float is on, to kinda calibrate them, or attempting to, but that requires removal as well. Mine got better after replacing the stock cluster with digital, but my TBR7 was terrible. It's pretty much the nature of these bikes.