Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2008, 03:19 AM   #1

These vibration noises are driving me insane

My bike now has 80 miles on it. Im hearing a chorus of vibration noises. I've tightened every thing I can think of. Not just one thing is vibrating, I think my ear can discern three or four.

Where should I start first!!!!

Thanks,

Trebek

Old 06-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #2

Well if you know me you'll know where I say to start. (at the source)

Ok whats causing the vibes :?:
Does it make nioses when its turned off (no) but when you start the engine the vibes start so it must be that big 4 stroke vibrating.

So I say check your engine mounting bolts first.
Dont just tighten them but instead remove them one at a time and closely inspect them as many people have found problems with them.
You may find a bolt or two that are worn or almost sheared or damaged in some other way.

I got rid of the bad vibes and pretty much all the annoying noises on both our bikes by replacing all the engine mounting bolts with grade-8 bolts and steel lock nuts.
It does take some effort and a little time and some very simple fabricating but it is much nicer once its done.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #3

I found was the headlight assembly was vibrating, it is very loud cause its right in front of your face, while riding, just put your hand on the top of the headlight, if the noise stops, that is. to fix this, I drilled a couple small holes at the top edge of the healight plastics, and zip tied it lightly to the handlebars not pretty but it works.

Other than that one... try all the heat shields, the on the header pipe, and the one on the muffler.. these made a heck of a racket on mine too.. I just took the muffler one off, and used lock washers on the front one, or you could take it off too.

If thats not it... then do as Team Cheap said.. the engine bolts.
If just re tightening them does not work, you could try puting clear silicone on the bolts and then putting them back in, or last thing is the Gorrilla glue mod... same as the silicone mod.. but the glue expands when it dries, taking up any space between the bolts and the engine case.

For these last two mods.. do a search on them for more detailed instructions.

Ken

Old 06-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #4

I put a thin seal foam between the headlight fairing and the headlight, Stopped the vibes right away and could not be seen plus it blocked light from coming back at me.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #5

Thanks folks, You've given me some places to hunt. Like I said, several things are vibrating so I'll just track them down one at a time.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #6

I would do the rebolt of the engine first. That is usually the source. Start with the easy ones on the front mount. Just go one at time and you may need to drill the holes slightly to put a larger bolt in. I recommend 3/8 grade 8. Get a decent 3/8 bit and go.

This made all the difference in my bike.

Allen

Old 06-21-2008, 02:15 PM   #7

I wouldn't worry to much about it. This is not just a China bike issue. I have had two Panterra 125 Chinese bikes, a Kawasaki KE125, Suzuki SP125, and now a new Kawasaki KLX250S. All of them have had vibrations to some degree. I think its just part of the deal with a single cylinder engine running at such high RPMS with a frame covered in Plastics. Even on my brand new bike the tank shrouds vibrate at certain RPMs.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #8

The loudest sound is metallic and seems to only happen when driving. It sounds like valve chatter but when sitting still in neutral I don't hear it. Probably the engine bolts.

Yes there is a background chorus of plastic rattles also. I'm going for the zip-tie remedy someone recommend for that.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #9

I had a metallic sounding vibration as well. One day I just happened to look
down and saw the front bolt on the skidplate backing itself out. Something
you may want to check. Also the plastic cover on the tank vibrated so much
that it basically cracked itself up. I removed it and lost most of the annoying
sound I had. Hope this helps...

Old 06-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #10

On my two china bikes the exhaust bolts always backed out on me. Even with thread lock.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #11

I have picked up a loud vib also on my Komoto 250. I sounds like plastic on plastic. After looking at what it could be, I think it is the left side plastic cover vibrating on the battery box. I haven't tried fixing it yet, so I am not for sure. May be something you want to look at, it is plastic touching plastic.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #12

I have removed all the stock plastic tank covers and sidecovers. The tank cover vibed the worst.

I think you have a sheared engine bolt or maybe even a missing one. The lower rear is a common one to fall out.

Allen

Old 06-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEazy
I had a metallic sounding vibration as well. One day I just happened to look
down and saw the front bolt on the skidplate backing itself out. Something
you may want to check. Also the plastic cover on the tank vibrated so much
that it basically cracked itself up. I removed it and lost most of the annoying
sound I had. Hope this helps...
I forgot all about the skid plate.. Mine made a HORRIBLE metalic rattling... I just too the thing off.. never offroad it anyway.. I would put that one HIGH on the list of things to try..

Sorry I took it off like in 3 weeks after I got the bike.. completely forgot about that annoying thing.

Ken