Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2023, 05:03 PM   #1411

The X arrived today, felt like a kid on Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230613_160944.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	29418  

Old 06-15-2023, 12:30 PM   #1412

OK, I am lazy and short of time but this caught my eye. I see people here using Nibbi 28mm carbs on Templars. Then I caught a guy on Youtube putting a 30mm on and bragging on how well it worked. Very suspect credentials, OK none, on that guy but still. "On paper", a 30mm looks to be a better fit for 250cc that revs to 9K or whatever our redline is.
I feel pretty good good about my jetting of the stock carb but I keep seeing folks doing Nibbis and I am tempted. I'm very much not a fan of too large a carb though, I like "crisp" low speed throttle response and will take that over wide open performance. (OK, I'm getting old.)

I know if I had a Hawk or some other 230cc it would be the smaller choice for sure. But opinions on 28 versus 30 on a Templar?

Old 06-15-2023, 12:43 PM   #1413

Well I'm sure hoping the 30mm Nibbi works as that's what I have sitting I'm my garage waiting to be the first mod. Going to run and jet the stock carb first to get a baseline before trying the Nibbi. And I actually agree with you that low rpm throttle response is worth far more on these low powered bikes than an extra pony or two up top. Fingers crossed 🤞

Old 06-15-2023, 12:44 PM   #1414

Can't comment on the carb size other than if its too big it wont be running well.. the key is to get the best a/f ratio, bigger always is not better.. with that being said, if you want a performance gain without a doubt the de-cat of the stock pipe will be the best bang for the buck (free) paired with proper jetting of the stock or aftermarket carb

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 06-16-2023, 12:05 AM   #1415

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
OK, I am lazy and short of time but this caught my eye. I see people here using Nibbi 28mm carbs on Templars. Then I caught a guy on Youtube putting a 30mm on and bragging on how well it worked. Very suspect credentials, OK none, on that guy but still. "On paper", a 30mm looks to be a better fit for 250cc that revs to 9K or whatever our redline is.
I feel pretty good good about my jetting of the stock carb but I keep seeing folks doing Nibbis and I am tempted. I'm very much not a fan of too large a carb though, I like "crisp" low speed throttle response and will take that over wide open performance. (OK, I'm getting old.)

I know if I had a Hawk or some other 230cc it would be the smaller choice for sure. But opinions on 28 versus 30 on a Templar?
FWIW the concensus on Facebook is that the Nibbi PE30 works perfectly with the ZS172. It's on my wish list for later on.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:15 AM   #1416

My jet kit arrived at the house before the motorcycle did. So I was pretty aware of what it was going to need. (Thanks to you guys.) It's running pretty good but I think I can tweak it a bit more. Other than the horrific OEM bowl screws I've no problem with the stock carb.
As for a Nibbi being a waste of money... well, if I added up all the money I blew on stuff I thought looked fun/interesting to mess with I might get divorced. Guys on here talking about how you can buy an entire engine on eBay make me want to get one. For NO good reason at all.

jc3, that wacky Mikuni ripoff looks pretty interesting. I would question if it were a direct bolt on like some Nibbis are though. But it's definitely cheap and I might have to study on that one. I also have an old Honda XL175 that I'm about sick of the carb on....

Old 06-16-2023, 11:49 AM   #1417

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc3 View Post
@GypsyR See my post on the nibbi carb, it is a waste of money, almost exactly the same as the stock. I was able to get my stock performing just fine with a little bit of work. If I were to replace it I would get something better like this.
Ha! It is a genuine Maikuni carb

Last edited by Thumper; 06-16-2023 at 12:25 PM.

Old 06-16-2023, 01:10 PM   #1418

Yeah, I showed that to a minibiking co-worker and he said "Oh yeah, a PWK. I have one and am wanting to upgrade it to a Nibbi. Wait, "Maikuni", what?"

Old 06-17-2023, 01:35 PM   #1419

Removing rear shock

Getting into replacing the rear shock now. Can the rear shock come out through the bottom at all? Or does it have to come out through the top? What all has to come apart to take it out? Thanks.

Old 06-17-2023, 02:10 PM   #1420

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemplarM250 View Post
Getting into replacing the rear shock now. Can the rear shock come out through the bottom at all? Or does it have to come out through the top? What all has to come apart to take it out? Thanks.
The easiest way to remove the shock is to remove the headpipe, exhaust, then pull the shock out on the top right. One bolt bottom, one bolt top. Take the seat off for easy access to the top bolt.

The X has the ballonet (gas cartridge) that makes this necessary (M?). But you would have to remove all of the linkage below to pull it out from below (I am sure that is way more work).

Old 06-17-2023, 03:04 PM   #1421

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc3 View Post
Let us know what you are putting in. I really would like a heavy duty shock for carrying camping gear.
I figured it out. Took the intake out and removed it through the left side.

I went with an OE replacement shock. Tried to order a Templar X replacement from KKE but they were on back order.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:16 PM   #1422

Put my first few heat cycles on the Templar today. I set a baseline by running my Beta for an hour on my singletrack loop on my farm then running the Templar. This isn't to compare the two bikes as they are in very different classes but the little Tenplar handled everything in a relaxed manor that fits exactly what I was hoping for from it. It really does seem a nice simple little bike that punches far above it's price point.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:22 PM   #1423

From today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230617_143320.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	29449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2655.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	689.4 KB
ID:	29450   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230617_143100.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	29451  

Old 06-18-2023, 10:14 AM   #1424

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
My jet kit arrived at the house before the motorcycle did. So I was pretty aware of what it was going to need. (Thanks to you guys.) It's running pretty good but I think I can tweak it a bit more. Other than the horrific OEM bowl screws I've no problem with the stock carb.
As for a Nibbi being a waste of money... well, if I added up all the money I blew on stuff I thought looked fun/interesting to mess with I might get divorced. Guys on here talking about how you can buy an entire engine on eBay make me want to get one. For NO good reason at all.

jc3, that wacky Mikuni ripoff looks pretty interesting. I would question if it were a direct bolt on like some Nibbis are though. But it's definitely cheap and I might have to study on that one. I also have an old Honda XL175 that I'm about sick of the carb on....
I'm running a Nibbi PE28 on my Templar X. 42.5 pilot, 125 main, needle clip in middle position, air screw @ 1.5 turns out, @ 800ft ASL. Bike runs great, idles perfectly, and only needs choke when it's pretty cold out. I had it running well with the stock carb set up almost identically, but the idle was erratic and hunted around a bit. I believe the PE28 was money well spent, YMMV.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:55 PM   #1425

New Templar X owner

Hey guys, I've been following the thread since the beginning and have finally sold some stuff and am able to add something new to the stable. I just ordered a new Templar X and am super excited to receive it. Thank you all for the great info in this thread on this bike. I'm sure it will be useful when assembling and tuning the bike. Can't wait!