Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2023, 03:18 PM   #1

Battery replacement what does 5ah/10 hr mean??

Stock is 12v 5ah/10hr...my understanding is they do that to make it "look" better meaning its really a 12v 0.5ah battery is that correct? So my earlier post asking if a 12v 6ah from amazon would work sounds a bit much doesnt it? Please correct me if im wrong. In the case that i am not will like a 12v 3ah be good, could i go higher 4 ah? Plz help me with this got my bike all fixed up sat too long new battery is all i need !!!

Old 04-30-2023, 07:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGcloner229 View Post
Stock is 12v 5ah/10hr...my understanding is they do that to make it "look" better meaning its really a 12v 0.5ah battery is that correct? So my earlier post asking if a 12v 6ah from amazon would work sounds a bit much doesnt it? Please correct me if im wrong. In the case that i am not will like a 12v 3ah be good, could i go higher 4 ah? Plz help me with this got my bike all fixed up sat too long new battery is all i need !!!

I'm no battery expert but my original battery is 9ah, so I'm looking for a 9ah battery.

Look at this link: https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...-my-motorcycle

Hope this helps.

Old 04-30-2023, 08:05 AM   #3

Amp hours ("Ah") is a reserve power rating. More is better, and it means it will turn over the engine repetitively more times. Totally draining a battery isn't good for it (lead/acid), so...Letting a battery rest often results in a second wind, so don't just drive it into the ground if the bike is not starting.

The other rating is cold cranking amps ("CCA"). This is the instantaneous delivery rating. Higher CCA just means it has more amps when you use it.

Dimensions are important. Try to fill the battery cradle with the biggest battery you can. More surface area on the plates and volume of acid generally means more Amp hours and usually higher CCA rating.

Lastly, polarity (placement of positive and negative poles) on the top of the battery might be important if you have short leads.

I should mention that these ZS clones have excellent compression (>10:1), so when on the compression stroke, it can pause approaching TDC when starting, and seem like it is failing. It isn't. Just wait a moment (do NOT release the starter button) because it will push through TDC and when it does, it will turn quickly, maybe even fire on that first compression stroke (mine do). This happens on the trail when I stall for some reason or turn it off for a break. Don't panic. It is normal!

The best thing you can do to make your battery last longer is keep valves adjusted, carb jet right, a good spark plug so that you don't drain it trying to start it.

Last edited by Thumper; 04-30-2023 at 09:12 AM.

Old 04-30-2023, 08:05 PM   #4

Right on Thumper,just make sure it the same size. Its a tight fit on mine,had to cut battery box a little bit when new just to get it in.