Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2023, 09:31 AM   #1

Head Scratching Hawk DLX dies and won't start now

So ended up going on a ride last night around the city and bike took a crap on me. I've messaged TXPS this morning in hopes of getting a quick response as this is my daily and can't find anyone in Fort Wayne Indiana that will even touch a china bike. Below is a the email I sent. The oil was changed about 200 miles before to full synthetic, NGK plug, LED headlight recommended by someone on here. Other than that it's bone stock. Please help

Good morning,
I recently purchased a hawk DLX and was able to plate it the other day. Put a couple hundred miles on it between 3 days and on the way to work it died on me shifting from first to second after leaving a red light. I pulled off the side of the road and tried some easy troubleshooting but still dead.
I checked the spark plug and it appears normal (NGK, gapped to spec) and is not sparking (tested on frame bolt and by holding it while cranking), tried replacing it with the torch plug provided as well. When I turn on the ignition I do not hear the fuel pump priming with the kill switch in "run" position. The CEL light does not illuminate either with the key in like it used to either. When I use the electric start it does crank and getting compression.
Not sure what else to check and cannot find a place in Fort Wayne, Indiana that will look at Chinese bikes. Any insight or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:10 PM   #2

I am sure a lot more knowledgeable people will be around soon to help you out.

Just a thought that comes to mind is it would be good to check all wiring connections and wires in general (pinched or melted).

With your fuel pump not priming and no spark it sounds somewhat electrical. After your couple hundred miles on the bike perhaps something wiggled loose or was pinched or melted against the bike.

From my experience on the Templar, things are not necessarily routed the best way possible from the factory.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:13 PM   #3

It sounds like it could be an electrical connection or fuse. I came across this YouTube video a few months ago and that's what the problem was for this guy. (Problems starts at 12:30 minute mark).

Old 04-05-2023, 08:16 PM   #4

Efi ?

Oh crap. This sounds like the dreaded EFI troubleshooting problem...
But maybe not. Could just be a short.

But 1st. Check to verify that you have spark. And do you hear the fuel pump at key on? This isn't a compression issue, so it is either not firing, or the fuel isn't getting injected.

I am sorry but I am a carb user. EFI experts need to step up!

Last edited by Thumper; 04-06-2023 at 12:47 PM.

Old 04-06-2023, 03:43 AM   #5

So looked at my fuses in the daylight and the 15a was blown. Going to try and see if that fixes everything.
Ill report back with findings in the morning.
To answer the questions: zero spark, key on fuel pump does not prime. It's like the kill switch is in kill position - nothing happens.

Old 04-06-2023, 04:19 AM   #6

Smart initial troubleshooting. The question then becomes what caused the overamperage?
And if it runs, you can carry a spare fuse, but still need to know what is drawing too much current.

Dandelions suggestion to closely inspect wiring is a good place to start. It will be great if you find a chafed wire. A bad component could be tougher to suss out.

Is the bike still under warranty?

Old 04-06-2023, 09:12 AM   #7

Bikes under warranty.
So update. Plugged a new fuse in and started arcing before it was seated. Managed to get it in without blowing and started up, fuel pump primed and had spark. Reved it twice then blew fuse. Put another in and arced and blew before seating it. Third fuse I unplugged battery and put reconnected it, blown fuse.
This is the fuse box that's blowing. Any idea what it monitors? Stator my guess???

Old 04-06-2023, 09:15 AM   #8

Fuse lit is the blown.
Disregard my gnaly nails, I work with enamel lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230406_085131584.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	881.0 KB
ID:	28958  

Old 04-06-2023, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor4809 View Post
Bikes under warranty.
So update. Plugged a new fuse in and started arcing before it was seated. Managed to get it in without blowing and started up, fuel pump primed and had spark. Reved it twice then blew fuse. Put another in and arced and blew before seating it. Third fuse I unplugged battery and put reconnected it, blown fuse.
This is the fuse box that's blowing. Any idea what it monitors? Stator my guess???
I don't know what that 15A fuse is in the circuit to.. is it labeled on a fuse box cover, or in the owners' manual? My guess is that it protects the fuel pump circuit.

Given that, the instant arcing and blowing tells us that it's a short in that circuit. I'd wager a wire in that circuit is probably pinched up against the frame and broke, shorting against the grounded frame.

I'd remove the seat, side panels, and fuel tank.. make sure you can see the wiring harness, and then I'd trace the wires on the back of the fuse box for that fuse position and follow it along until you find the short/break.

Once you do, a quick wire splice repair and you should be back in business.

Even though there is a warranty on the bike, honestly- we need to be able to diagnose and repair these on our own. As you noticed, most all shops don't want to touch them.

Old 04-06-2023, 09:21 AM   #10

You might have a bare wire grounding against the frame. Check for pinched or smashed wires.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-06-2023, 10:07 AM   #11

That's what I'm praying on is pinched wire or something like that. Currently waiting on a tow truck and probably have to wait until tomorrow morning to take seat and panels off, gently cut the wraps and wire chase. Would be way cheaper if I could rent a U-Haul pickup for $20 and pick it up myself but apparently my city doesn't believe in having them available

Old 04-06-2023, 10:10 AM   #12

Any other ideas to check out are welcome.

Thank you all. This is a great community and surprised how quick I'm getting answers. I'll definitely do my part in keeping updates and let y'all know my findings

Old 04-06-2023, 11:16 AM   #13

Since you mentioned that you did an upgrade to the headlight, I'd start there to make sure you didn't pinch a wire in that area. Might even disconnect the headlight and see if the fuse still blows.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:48 PM   #14

I thought I posted this...
Can you turn off the lights (just thinking to isolate the main lighting system in case that is where it is)?

Old 04-07-2023, 09:06 AM   #15

Ok, side fairings are stripped along with seat and about to start pulling connections and plugging in until I find the culprit. Battery is still able to crank without fuse but still no FI or spark. All turning lights, head light functions, tail light, break lights work. Hit the headlight kill toggle and still sparking from fuse when I try to insert it. Do have the fancy light up fuses so once I get the right connection disconnected I should know where to chase. Unplugged Delphi connections and sparked from fuse so that gives me a little hope in it not being the FI system.
Might be a stupid question but where and what color is the ground wire on the bike?