Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2023, 12:17 AM   #1

X-PRO Titan 250 DLX vs TBR 7 / Hawk 250

I have seen many threads here about the Templar and the Lifan being among the higher end ones; however, in the X-PRO series, I wanted to see how the 'lower-end' TITAN compares to the TBR7, or the Hawk.

What made me curious is that the prices seem comparable (with shipping, both come to around $1,700 - $2,000), but the Titan comes with the digital dash, and 21/18 standard. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm writing this off of my faulty memory .

I know with the TBR7, a few basic mods need to be done initially. Is that the case with the Hawk/Titan XPRO as well?

Pros and Cons, please! Want to pull the trigger soon.

Old 01-11-2023, 03:05 AM   #2

The TBR7 and carbed Hawk, for all intents and purposes, are about the same when it comes to initial setup and tweaks. The Hawk's carb is jetted the leanest of all the China bikes, and really needs to be fixed in order to run well, unless you live at higher altitude.

They are both really meant to be more of a road bike that has some dirt capability more than an actual dirt bike. They can and have been ridden in some decently tough off-road scenarios, but they are by no means a proper dirt bike either.

The Titan, as far as I can tell, is built to be a different bike. Lighter weight than the other two, and the specs show. Weight capacity is only 250lbs vs. 330lbs for the Hawk. The Hawk and TBR7 also have full rear frames with seating for 2. The Titan looks to be intended more as a single seater. It also only has a 2 gallon fuel tank vs. the 3+ of the other two.

It's more of a pit bike/dirt bike than the other two. The suspension is also slightly better, especially the rear swing arm.

Once nice feature about the Titan is that it comes with the OHC 223cc CB250 engine, which is more or less a copy of the CRF230F engine instead of the OHC 229cc CG250 of the Hawk and TBR7. That should give it a bit better top end power.

Basically, if you want a bike more for the off road fun, the Titan might be the way to go. If you want a modestly capable off-roader that can also pull commuter duty, the Hawk or TBR7 may be the way to go.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-11-2023, 03:31 AM   #3

Bikes that come with inverted forks have a stiffer front end as well. Part of this is due to the larger triple tree clamps, and additional strength comes from the stiffer nature of the fork bodies clamped into the triple tree. They have a wider diameter, so they are just stronger.

Another reason for more (less) stability, related to the above, is that the axel is farther from the narrow part of the fork on a standard fork (the fork tube). Simply stated, the leverage is the same at the triple tree clamp for both types of forks, but the thin part (fork tubes) are much closer to the axel on USD forks, so all else being equal, they don't flex as much.

Stiffness translates to better stability and performance, with almost no weight penalty (triple tree can be a little heavier with inverted forks).

Last edited by Thumper; 01-12-2023 at 04:44 PM.

Old 01-15-2023, 12:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Bikes that come with inverted forks have a stiffer front end as well. Part of this is due to the larger triple tree clamps, and additional strength comes from the stiffer nature of the fork bodies clamped into the triple tree. They have a wider diameter, so they are just stronger.

Another reason for more (less) stability, related to the above, is that the axel is farther from the narrow part of the fork on a standard fork (the fork tube). Simply stated, the leverage is the same at the triple tree clamp for both types of forks, but the thin part (fork tubes) are much closer to the axel on USD forks, so all else being equal, they don't flex as much.

Stiffness translates to better stability and performance, with almost no weight penalty (triple tree can be a little heavier with inverted forks).
thank you for the technical details!! never delved deep into it before

Old 01-15-2023, 12:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The TBR7 and carbed Hawk, for all intents and purposes, are about the same when it comes to initial setup and tweaks. The Hawk's carb is jetted the leanest of all the China bikes, and really needs to be fixed in order to run well, unless you live at higher altitude.

They are both really meant to be more of a road bike that has some dirt capability more than an actual dirt bike. They can and have been ridden in some decently tough off-road scenarios, but they are by no means a proper dirt bike either.

The Titan, as far as I can tell, is built to be a different bike. Lighter weight than the other two, and the specs show. Weight capacity is only 250lbs vs. 330lbs for the Hawk. The Hawk and TBR7 also have full rear frames with seating for 2. The Titan looks to be intended more as a single seater. It also only has a 2 gallon fuel tank vs. the 3+ of the other two.

It's more of a pit bike/dirt bike than the other two. The suspension is also slightly better, especially the rear swing arm.

Once nice feature about the Titan is that it comes with the OHC 223cc CB250 engine, which is more or less a copy of the CRF230F engine instead of the OHC 229cc CG250 of the Hawk and TBR7. That should give it a bit better top end power.

Basically, if you want a bike more for the off road fun, the Titan might be the way to go. If you want a modestly capable off-roader that can also pull commuter duty, the Hawk or TBR7 may be the way to go.
i appreciate the explanation

i don't see no Heidi Klum begging me to take her dirtbike riding. so Titan it is

i've a commuter street bike so this would be only for off-road purposes (either trailered to the mountains or 100miles on gravel roads to get to the FSRs/OHVs/single track/off-road resorts)