Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2023, 04:16 PM   #1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
anyone?

Nope

I have a 5 gallon metal Jerry can I brought back from overseas. I'm actually glad I bought it back then as the prices have gone insane today for metal Jerry cans.

It's always filled up and then the 5 gallons of fuel treated with Sta-bil when I get back from a Costco run. Then whenever the bike gets low I just put my funnel with float (indicator that rises up telling you the fuel underneath has reached the bottom of the funnel) into the bike and do a full top up from the Jerry can.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 01-13-2023, 04:19 PM   #1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtemplar250 View Post
I tried searching "mpg" in this thread, but didn't get any results. If I use my trip meter for a fuel gauge, what's a safe amount of total miles to use to approximate my fuel usage?

Depends on your transmission setup and to a lesser degree how well broken in the engine is.

The large sprocket on the rear wheel from the factory means you burn more fuel per mile traveled. This is why I went as small as I did since I am riding my Templar more than 95% of the time on the street.

The more I top up and the more I run out of fuel and need to switch to the other fuel tank lobe the more I will confirm that 100 miles would be an easy way to manage refueling or it will tell me maybe I should shift that number of miles up or down to play it safe.

With a full tank and my new sprocket and chain I was getting 119 miles before the carburetor complained and I needed to switch to the other petcock position. If I was commuting I would in back of mind make my life easy and say every time the Trip reaches 100 miles head to a gas station and fill the bike up and reset the Trip back to 0 miles.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 01-13-2023, 11:32 PM   #1023

Has been a year since I sourced out this bike being sold in UK market. I Possibly purchased one of the first ones when PSM received there first shipment the last week of February 2022. Truly hoping for the 300 to hit the market next month same timing as Templar X. Might ship first with the CBS300 engine like the TEMPx 5 speed (FMM3-A) then later NC298.. Same as TM36 the the TM38. Either way very cool.

Been busy working on newly purchased 60 acres adjoining my parents place. I now have over 300 acres of riding. Been cutting trails with a 450 John Deere dozer. Tons of fun. Any day the weather is nice enough my kids and I ride our established 4.2 miles of trails. Last weekend the factory battery lost its charge. Thought I could roll start it nope 5th gear to much compression just slides the rear tire. These bikes are hard to beat for the $.

Old 01-14-2023, 12:48 AM   #1024

Speaking of miles per gallon. I checked mine with this method. Fill up to the neck, set the trip meter to 0, rode 29.3 miles, filled back up, divided the miles traveled by amount of gas it took to refill, 0.64 gallons. I got 46.1 miles per gallon with factory sprockets. At the time the bike only had about 60 miles on it. That was a mix of running around my place and highway running.
Pro Taper Grips
125 main 45 pilot jets
42 tooth rear sprocket
2010 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Silver Star

Old 01-14-2023, 09:52 AM   #1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Has been a year since I sourced out this bike being sold in UK market. I Possibly purchased one of the first ones when PSM received there first shipment the last week of February 2022. Truly hoping for the 300 to hit the market next month same timing as Templar X. Might ship first with the CBS300 engine like the TEMPx 5 speed (FMM3-A) then later NC298.. Same as TM36 the the TM38. Either way very cool.

Been busy working on newly purchased 60 acres adjoining my parents place. I now have over 300 acres of riding. Been cutting trails with a 450 John Deere dozer. Tons of fun. Any day the weather is nice enough my kids and I ride our established 4.2 miles of trails. Last weekend the factory battery lost its charge. Thought I could roll start it nope 5th gear to much compression just slides the rear tire. These bikes are hard to beat for the $.
I too am waiting on a 300.
I have a hard time pulling the trigger on a 6 speed when a 300 may be coming next. As it is the 5 speed is just about perfect for scrambling around the dirt and gravel out here, so I can wait.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 01-14-2023, 10:38 AM   #1026

For me it was worth selling the Titan 5sp for the X 6sp but a small increment in engine size to a 300cc wouldn't be enough for me to make another change.. now make it a Templar X 450 and I'm in, of course without a huge jump in price

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 01-14-2023, 05:15 PM   #1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap View Post
Speaking of miles per gallon. I checked mine with this method. Fill up to the neck, set the trip meter to 0, rode 29.3 miles, filled back up, divided the miles traveled by amount of gas it took to refill, 0.64 gallons. I got 46.1 miles per gallon with factory sprockets. At the time the bike only had about 60 miles on it. That was a mix of running around my place and highway running.
That seems like a bad mpg for a bike. Is it normal for a dirt bike to have such a low mpg?

Old 01-14-2023, 05:41 PM   #1028

Quote:
That seems like a bad mpg for a bike. Is it normal for a dirt bike to have such a low mpg?
Yeah it did to me too. Hopefully it will get better after it breaks in. And I installed a 42 tooth rear sprocket that should help as well.
Pro Taper Grips
125 main 45 pilot jets
42 tooth rear sprocket

Old 01-14-2023, 06:09 PM   #1029

Quote:
Yeah it did to me too. Hopefully it will get better after it breaks in. And I installed a 42 tooth rear sprocket that should help as well.
Yeah, I'm thinking about a sprocket change as well. Does the 42T rear still let you have enough low end in 1st for off-road?

I read through this thread again, and it seems like stock front gear with 42T in rear is the most common change everyone is doing.

Old 01-14-2023, 07:31 PM   #1030

Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking about a sprocket change as well. Does the 42T rear still let you have enough low end in 1st for off-road?

I read through this thread again, and it seems like stock front gear with 42T in rear is the most common change everyone is doing.
My guess is NO. I am thinking 45T. That's a JT210-45T and a non oring chain (for lower friction). The 49T is IDEAL for dedicated off-road on the Temp X. It is SLOW on the road, but this is an enduro bike! It is made for MX and single track.

I still have the original non-oring chain and 49T sprocket on it- the 5 speed. It is awesome off-road. I think anything past 45T will begin to seriously diminish the enduro quality.

I guess it depends on your interest... off-road or not.

FYI- Here are all of the available JT sprockets (JT210)
http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/part/JTR210/

Last edited by Thumper; 01-15-2023 at 10:34 AM.

Old 01-14-2023, 08:07 PM   #1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
My guess is NO. I am thinking 45T. That's a JT210-45T and a non oring chain (for lower friction). The 49T is IDEAL for dedicated off-road on the Temp X. It is SLOW on the road, but this is an enduro bike! It is made for MX and single track.

I still have the original non-oring chain and 49T sprocket on it- the 5 speed. It is awesome off-road. I think anything past 45T will begin to seriously diminish the enduro quality.

I guess it depends on your interest... off-road or not.
Ok--perfect. Thanks!

Old 01-14-2023, 10:18 PM   #1032

The 13/42R combo, in my opinion, strikes a perfect balance for offroad and onroad. True the 49R will allow you more tractor-like low end, but its a huge hindrance on 55+ mph roads, maybe even 50mph roads... if you need to ride any kind of distance that includes 50+mph roads i feel the 42R is the way to go, unless you want to feel what its like to ride a scooter with a trail of cars on your butt

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 01-14-2023, 11:22 PM   #1033

It may just be me. But after I changed to the 42 on my 6 speed. 1st gear really didn’t seem to be much different. Although of course it’s taller now. Actually the gearing seems more right now. The whole drive train seems smoother. For my needs it’s perfect. My riding is a mix of trail, gravel roads and pavement. Probably more pavement than gravel. The darn gravel roads can be tricky as hell. Lol!
Pro Taper Grips
125 main 45 pilot jets
42 tooth rear sprocket

Old 01-15-2023, 12:03 AM   #1034

Quote:

When I first got this bike I followed the engine break in procedure to around 500 miles. After the break in riding mostly hwy I've used the bike 80% dirt 20% hwy. I love taking the bike around town but it's more impressive as a trail bike. The 42 tooth rear sprocket with 13 tooth front is still a little quicker than I like on technical trails but it's absolutely doable.

I decided to order a complete rear rim & tire along with chain so I can quickly swap out from factory to a 14/42 gearing that offers great hwy ratios.

I'm not doing anything off-road without a Kickstarter backup. I love the thought of a 6 speed but I can honestly feel the vibrations has eased quite a bit after 1500 miles on this bike. It's a lot better on the crazy buzzing from no counterbalance engine now with miles and use...

Old 01-15-2023, 12:15 AM   #1035

Quote:
It may just be me. But after I changed to the 42 on my 6 speed. 1st gear really didn’t seem to be much different. Although of course it’s taller now. Actually the gearing seems more right now. The whole drive train seems smoother. For my needs it’s perfect. My riding is a mix of trail, gravel roads and pavement. Probably more pavement than gravel. The darn gravel roads can be tricky as hell. Lol!
Do you have a model number or link to the particular 42 you purchased?