Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2022, 01:08 PM   #1

XPro vs Peter's Mill Run Harrisonburg VA

Went on a, what we thought to be, an easy trail ride in Harrisonburg VA recently..

Enter the trail - not that bad. The first few miles were not that demanding.. but a few more miles up the trail, wow. This is a paid Jeep trail by the way; and apparently the easiest trail we found! 5 dollars to enter.

Completely wrong, well - maybe not that difficult for something with 4WD and four tires lol.. My buddy and I (he was on the Tenere 700) got through half of it and took a break.. jeez. I didn't have that much rock and boulder action in Vegas at Red Rock Canyon!!

Fast forward to the last 5mi. of trail - started going downhill at this point, oh boy my favorite! (not..) Took some grooves in the rocks to steady up the bike so I don't go tumbling down the face of the mountain. And took a fall, of course! Not that bad, I didn't have any damages to myself - but lost a mirror, busted the handlebar guards so they absolutely took most of the fall, damaged the little saddle tube thing on the side (bummer) so that's coming off, and drove the shifter into the rock; INTO the rock. I have the IMS shifter that everyone swaps out, so that thing didn't even get phased. I thought the spring lever got ripped up, but didn't! I'm pretty impressed with the shifter!! That stock aluminum one would've gotten DESTROYED..

Got my new parts and all - just over 100 bucks for all the parts plus some new sprockets and chain.

Speaking of sprockets - the stock gearing is way way too torquey to comfortably ride the bike on the road; like riding a vibrator most of the time anything over 40MPH lol.. SO, going to try something new - stock 13T, which I noticed does have a little lip on the engine side to stabilize the sprocket - I got the 12T JT one that doesn't have a little lip on it so I think that's where I was getting some chain bite on the walls where the chain lives. Anyway - using the 13T next, and a 40T rear sprocket. My bike came with a 45T rear and then later swapped out for the 12T front and a 30T rear to keep it from vibrating loose. And things WILL vibrate loose with stock gearing!! That's how I lost my mirror -_- ... and it wasn't even on the trail yet, the first one flew off on the way over on RT11 lol but just the reflective part, not the actual mirror assembly and then the shifter lever flew off from the handlebar after getting it fully assembled - and the rear sprocket bolts! I have a post about the mod on the rear sprocket. Just get some case hardened bolts, longer, and some nylock nuts. Make sure the bolts only extend enough to put the nylock nuts on and snug them up to the hub. No more worries on the rear sprocket coming loose anymore!

Hoping that the 13T front and 40T rear calms it down a little more. The 12T front / 30T rear was a little under-torqued. Hills were a struggle in 2nd. Stock can pop wheelies though - accidently did that a few times not being used to the stock gearing.

But, it can take a fall! I was impressed with that. Kind of expected things to just fall off after the bail, but didn't. I still have to do the work to get it all back to normal, but not too much.

Still rockin' the catless pipe - did remove the booster bottle though. Didn't seem to do much but muck with the idle, and catch gas being pushed through the vacuum tube. So, might have been holding back the fuel mix. AND - something I just recently read about; the X and O ring chains will SLOW your bike down!! I got a standard chain this time around, no O rings or X rings.

I have noticed the crank has a lot more blow by with stock gearing too. Not sure if this is a normal thing? But, with the 12T front / 30T rear I didn't get that much blow by off the crank. But, have noticed that. If anyone has some sort of 'fix' for the crank blow by - I'd love to hear it! I did put a small filter on the end of the vent side that was free-aired under the seat. Don't think that's doing much, but no idea. Saw that on another forum - apparently drains what's in the tube back down into the case?.. no idea, haven't quite figured that out yet. In either case, the oil level was not affected by the blow by amount. Every time I took a min. to rest or got off the bike for a little while, I check the oil level to make sure it's not going somewhere it shouldn't be going..

Going to get 'er fixed up soon - heading out for a ride in the Enchanted Forest! Sounds cool - will have to remember to turn on the GoPro this time!

Old 08-10-2022, 08:09 PM   #2

Update on the crankcase vent!! (I figured it out...)

Alright - so I've had it WRONG for about a year and a half-ish.. I noticed the hose coming off the crankcase just under the seat zip tied to part of the frame since assembly, and left it thinking that was where it lives. Fast forward a few miles later - saw something where people usually put a small filter on the end of the breather side, and did. Ran it for a long time like that. But, have noticed the idle skips a little and some other odd things while riding - and watched a few videos on the crankcase stuff.. Started investigating some things - and was right. I kept seeing references of the crankcase breather being hooked to the air box.. alright. Took a closer look, and there's a hose connection ON THE AIR BOX.. ::facepalm::

So - anyone reading with an X-Pro - hook that crankcase vent to the air box! After I did that, I had much, much, much smoother idle and a more crisp throttle response on blips. Guess my stupidity might save someone the hassle somewhere!

Old 08-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #3

I checked mine and found the connection as well but my breather hose is too small to fit on the airbox nipple. Did you have to use different hose? I also noticed a little rubber plug in the airbox fitting blocking it off without the hose connected. I'm not experiencing any odd idle behavior so wondering if I should just leave it alone.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna5152 View Post
I checked mine and found the connection as well but my breather hose is too small to fit on the airbox nipple. Did you have to use different hose? I also noticed a little rubber plug in the airbox fitting blocking it off without the hose connected. I'm not experiencing any odd idle behavior so wondering if I should just leave it alone.
So, I took the hose fitting off the air box, connected that to the hose, then popped everything back into the air box - it will be a little b!tch too. My hands aren't small enough lol I did have to cut the hose maybe like a half inch where I had it connected to a small filter; stretched the hose a little. But, should just hook all together. I did notice a difference in running and idle after hooking the hose to the air box btw, much smoother. I just don't understand WHY this wasn't hooked up from the factory! The biggest difference I saw was top-end rev - it would taper off in power, but doesn't now. If you don't, I'm kind of assuming where the 'check valve' is hooked to the hose - I had a lot of blow-by collection there and would get clogged up, then I'd notice gooey oil being slung where it dripped onto my chain - there's a small clear tube with a plug and metal pressure clip right above the chain.. So far, it hasn't gotten clogged up. My last ride proved to be pretty successful with the hose being in the air box lol I'm not using the boost bottle anymore either - that'll muck with the idle as well. It does work, but for testing and mod purposes it's off. I have thought about replacing the hose and removing the 'check valve' from the equation. Juuust to remove any gooey mess in the future lol

Hope that helped!

Old 09-23-2022, 11:19 AM   #5

The easier South Pedlar is right near there.

I have done South Pedlar right near there. No jeep trails here. Just atv and 2 wheels. It was nice on an atv and only really rocky in one stretch behind the farthest north scenic overview.

I am going to take my kph-250 there at some point to goof around. Good to know about Taskers Gap I was thinking of checking it out at some point. Guess I will take the atv there first.