Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2022, 12:29 AM   #16

"...tempting for $2500 OTD!! "

How about under $2100 for that bike?? ( https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/22137 )

My daughter rides one of these. She's 5'7" and loves it. While it's certainly not built for the highway, I'd highly recommend the LIfan Xpect for any other casual use.
2021 Hawk 150 (RPS Viper)

Old 05-18-2022, 12:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt View Post
"...tempting for $2500 OTD!! "

How about under $2100 for that bike?? ( https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/22137 )

My daughter rides one of these. She's 5'7" and loves it. While it's certainly not built for the highway, I'd highly recommend the LIfan Xpect for any other casual use.

WOW!!! I have no problem paying by money order so $1958 plus 6% PA sales tax so $2075 all in plus registration, inspection, and I'm not sure if getting a title for it costs anything in addition to the registration. That's a steal!!!

I just spent the last few hours educating myself on these. While I'm not sure what Lifan does customer service and warranty-wise if I have any serious issues given that my insurance won't pay to tow the thing 50+ miles (limited to 15miles).....will Lifan pay to have it towed or send someone to my home to work on it?? What good is that warranty if I can't get it to a mechanic?

Short of that, these looks entirely workable and seem to be great bikes from all the vids I've seen. The few complaints/problems I've seen, were either easy fixes or the people seemed to be idiots that had no experience with bikes. Now if that's not true and there are vids of faulty quality, I'd like to see them!

I need to call a local notary to see about registering/titling one and then make sure I can get it inspected with my local shop. But I might order one soon.

Just curious but from Powersports Max....how does it arrive? Just need to put the handlebars and switches on or is the front wheel and a bunch of other stuff off??

Thanks!!!

Old 05-18-2022, 08:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
You do have a point. And this is one of the only reasons I was considering a China bike.....DIRT cheap!!

Looked up the current version of your bike. That's an impressive bike for the money!! How do you like it? Have you had any issues? What care/maintenance does it need?

32" seat, fuel injected, under 300lbs gross, 2 year warranty on the powertrain, 1 up capable, off road capable......I could run errands, strap it to my trailer hitch motorcycle carrier for vacations, and the carbs wouldn't get gunked up over time (since fuel injected....it has no carbs).

EDIT: And it's got a kick start!! Always wanted a bike with a kick start for times when the battery dies.

....tempting for $2500 OTD!!

So, I got mine on Amazon from Moto-Pro. I think it was a little under $2000. Maybe some delivery fee. It comes in a metal framed crate. It’s fully assembled and ready to go. All you have to do is put the handlebars on and the blinker switches and whatever and the throttle. That was the trickiest part the throttle. It wasn’t obvious that it wind up both forward and backward. I put mine on backwards the first time since that’s how it was shipped.. Change oil too.

On my bike, 2020, there was only one design problem. There was an improperly shielded wire loom near the headlight area. They didn’t extend the conduit all the way up into the headlight area. They should have. That grounded my bike out and caused me a lot of grief for a little bit. Once fixed with some electrical tape and conduit, everything was fine. This problem does not exist in bikes newer than 2020 they fixed it.

I’m at something like 5000 miles and I haven’t had anything go wrong yet. I dropped it on a trail in Colorado. I also dropped it in the sand several times trying to lear to ride deep sand. No effect from any of that. Just keeps going.

The care and maintenance I have done so far consists of tightening the chain and changing the oil. That’s it. I have done nothing else. And that was kind of my thing on the forum and still is. I wanted to see how far one of these would go just out of the box. Getting close to 5000 miles now. I rode it all over the place. Mountains, dirt, deep sand, tar, mud, you name it. It’s been everywhere. The EFI is what makes it great. It just goes and goes. Like a Toyota car.

However, I am slightly over the 4000 mile service interval. Sometime in the next few weeks I will be doing a valve check, replacing the front and rear sprockets and chain. Putting on a new set of tires. Going over everything and generally visually checking wiring and stuff like that to see if anything is rubbing. Also will be checking all of the bearings and greasing things up. Just generally normal maintenance at scheduled intervals. And this is the first maintenance I have done at all.

I don’t even think this is necessary, but I am just being extra careful and I am going on some really good rides in August. Planning to do the NEBDR adventure route and into Canada.

I wouldn’t hesitate to take this thing on the TAT completely stock.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
So, I got mine on Amazon from Moto-Pro. I think it was a little under $2000. Maybe some delivery fee. It comes in a metal framed crate. It’s fully assembled and ready to go. All you have to do is put the handlebars on and the blinker switches and whatever and the throttle. That was the trickiest part the throttle. It wasn’t obvious that it wind up both forward and backward. I put mine on backwards the first time since that’s how it was shipped.. Change oil too.

On my bike, 2020, there was only one design problem. There was an improperly shielded wire loom near the headlight area. They didn’t extend the conduit all the way up into the headlight area. They should have. That grounded my bike out and caused me a lot of grief for a little bit. Once fixed with some electrical tape and conduit, everything was fine. This problem does not exist in bikes newer than 2020 they fixed it.

I’m at something like 5000 miles and I haven’t had anything go wrong yet. I dropped it on a trail in Colorado. I also dropped it in the sand several times trying to lear to ride deep sand. No effect from any of that. Just keeps going.

The care and maintenance I have done so far consists of tightening the chain and changing the oil. That’s it. I have done nothing else. And that was kind of my thing on the forum and still is. I wanted to see how far one of these would go just out of the box. Getting close to 5000 miles now. I rode it all over the place. Mountains, dirt, deep sand, tar, mud, you name it. It’s been everywhere. The EFI is what makes it great. It just goes and goes. Like a Toyota car.

However, I am slightly over the 4000 mile service interval. Sometime in the next few weeks I will be doing a valve check, replacing the front and rear sprockets and chain. Putting on a new set of tires. Going over everything and generally visually checking wiring and stuff like that to see if anything is rubbing. Also will be checking all of the bearings and greasing things up. Just generally normal maintenance at scheduled intervals. And this is the first maintenance I have done at all.

I don’t even think this is necessary, but I am just being extra careful and I am going on some really good rides in August. Planning to do the NEBDR adventure route and into Canada.

I wouldn’t hesitate to take this thing on the TAT completely stock.

Greatly appreciate that info!! I'm really considering buying one. However, I started another thread specifically on this model. Please take a look at some of my concerns/questions if you get a chance.

I like that PowersportsMax brings the OTD price to under $2100 instead of Amazon's $2500. That's a seriously cheap bike !!...and high value if it lasts 5k-10k miles without needing a mechanic (for engine/trans work).

Thanks!!

Old 05-18-2022, 09:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Interesting reply. Seems like the Lifan KP 150 mini I'm looking at is 1st or 2nd Gen tech. However, a few months ago I was comparing the Grom, Z125 and Benelli.

But at the end of the day all gens of China bikes still have the same issue....no repair options near me. So the choice still comes down to: Do I pay $2200 and roll the dice on a China bike or pay $5500 for a Grom?

Not sure anyone saw the question but I am curious if there are any dual sport China bike options for someone with a 29" inseam?

Thanks!!
For the price of a Grom, get yourself a Benelli 302S and have a full-sized motorcycle that will hit 100mph, plus an extra grand in your pocket. Or get the TNT135, which has way more performance than a stock Grom, and is $2000 cheaper.

Any place you would buy a Benelli *OR* SSR from will service them. There are four places within 45 miles of my house that sell Benelli or SSR, so they're not an uncommon brand.

Charles.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
For the price of a Grom, get yourself a Benelli 302S and have a full-sized motorcycle that will hit 100mph, plus an extra grand in your pocket. Or get the TNT135, which has way more performance than a stock Grom, and is $2000 cheaper.

Any place you would buy a Benelli *OR* SSR from will service them. There are four places within 45 miles of my house that sell Benelli or SSR, so they're not an uncommon brand.

Charles.
I did look at the Benelli 135 but I'm not looking for a full size/weight bike. I want something small and/or light that I can use to run errands, ride for fun, but also throw on my HF hitch carrier and take it as a spare vehicle on trips. The Benelli 135 does work but it's double the price out the door compared to the Lifan X Pect.

Thanks though!

Old 05-18-2022, 11:12 AM   #22

I have a 2019 Hawk 250 with over 10,000 problem-free miles. Yes, I've done all of the reliability mods, but all of these can be done for pretty much $500 total (or less) on top of the purchase price of the bike. I surmise that 80% of the Hawk 250 parts are interchangeable with parts from the CSC TT250 (I know all of the plastics are as I've successfully replaced all Hawk plastics with TT250 plastics). TT250 parts are inexpensive, better quality than the Hawk, and CSC has excellent customer service.

If you want a dual sport that won't break the bank yet will still leave you with quite a bit of reliability, is easy to work on, and has definite parts availability, go with a CSC TT250. It's about twice the price of a Hawk 250, but you also get better overall quality, USD forks, LEDs, a larger stator with an accessory switch to add extra lights, etc., a true warranty, full OEM parts availability and a supply of aftermarket accessories, reliability, and excellent customer service from CSC. I also am no motorcycle mechanic, but I can follow directions and I have never had any problem working on these CG motors. I even decatted my own exhaust and ported and polished my own engine head at home by carefully following a thread on this website and the Hawk runs great after doing that. These things are about as simple as it gets when it comes to mechanical complexity. If you can successfully complete the maintenance schedule on your riding mower without having to take it to a shop, you can maintain these bikes and have them running reliably for years. Moreover, if you did happen to blow a motor, you can purchase an entire CG250 motor from Brozz250.com for less than $500.

I have a 30" inseam, purchased the Seat Concepts TT250 lowered seat for my Hawk, and I have no problem sitting upright on the bike at stoplights and can get one heel down and the other heel is slightly elevated with riding while wearing motorcycle boots.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusman View Post
I have a 2019 Hawk 250 with over 10,000 problem-free miles. Yes, I've done all of the reliability mods, but all of these can be done for pretty much $500 total (or less) on top of the purchase price of the bike. I surmise that 80% of the Hawk 250 parts are interchangeable with parts from the CSC TT250 (I know all of the plastics are as I've successfully replaced all Hawk plastics with TT250 plastics). TT250 parts are inexpensive, better quality than the Hawk, and CSC has excellent customer service.

If you want a dual sport that won't break the bank yet will still leave you with quite a bit of reliability, is easy to work on, and has definite parts availability, go with a CSC TT250. It's about twice the price of a Hawk 250, but you also get better overall quality, USD forks, LEDs, a larger stator with an accessory switch to add extra lights, etc., a true warranty, full OEM parts availability and a supply of aftermarket accessories, reliability, and excellent customer service from CSC. I also am no motorcycle mechanic, but I can follow directions and I have never had any problem working on these CG motors. I even decatted my own exhaust and ported and polished my own engine head at home by carefully following a thread on this website and the Hawk runs great after doing that. These things are about as simple as it gets when it comes to mechanical complexity. If you can successfully complete the maintenance schedule on your riding mower without having to take it to a shop, you can maintain these bikes and have them running reliably for years. Moreover, if you did happen to blow a motor, you can purchase an entire CG250 motor from Brozz250.com for less than $500.

I have a 30" inseam, purchased the Seat Concepts TT250 lowered seat for my Hawk, and I have no problem sitting upright on the bike at stoplights and can get one heel down and the other heel is slightly elevated with riding while wearing motorcycle boots.
Appreciate the info. However, the Lifan X Pect is almost entirely a price-point consideration/appeal. If I wanted to double the price AND have excellent warranty/support I'd track down a TW200 and be done with it. But I'm considering rolling the dice on an X Pect because it checks all boxes EXCEPT excellent support but does so at half the price.

Thanks

Old 05-24-2022, 07:30 PM   #24

Don't overlook towing capacity. Remember, regardless of the Cina bike you choose, you're getting a China bike.
Milwaukee, WI

Old 05-25-2022, 07:28 PM   #25

Quote:
You do have a point. And this is one of the only reasons I was considering a China bike.....DIRT cheap!!

Looked up the current version of your bike. That's an impressive bike for the money!! How do you like it? Have you had any issues? What care/maintenance does it need?

32" seat, fuel injected, under 300lbs gross, 2 year warranty on the powertrain, 1 up capable, off road capable......I could run errands, strap it to my trailer hitch motorcycle carrier for vacations, and the carbs wouldn't get gunked up over time (since fuel injected....it has no carbs).

EDIT: And it's got a kick start!! Always wanted a bike with a kick start for times when the battery dies.

....tempting for $2500 OTD!!
I just got a 2nd Xpect last week. I bought this one from my local dealer, and he delivered it fully assembled, for 2300. He even takes the time to Loctite many of the bolts, marking them along the way to verify where he had been. I say this is my second Xpect, because my first one I didn't put 500 miles on, and it was "taken" by my Son to use at college....and likely I'll never see it in my garage again.
With him, he has the mechanical skillset of an average toddler, and this bike has never once given him an ounce of trouble in 2 years. He does check his chain, change oil, and I've taught him how to tighten spokes, so that is about his limits on care. This thing just purrs right along.... So, I replaced it with a 2022 red Xpect. I am currently going over it with many of the tricks learned from the sticky Xpect thread, I highly suggest reading it if you have not..... I was seriously tempted to snag a Templar 250, but it's just a bit "too new" for me to leap at. As for the seat height, I come in at a smooth 30 inch inseam, and comfortably touch both feet on the ground. The 2 year warranty is also incredible...... Buy one, you will not regret it one bit. I'll post a pic whenever I can figure out how....

Old 05-28-2022, 11:53 AM   #26

If you’re considering towing your bike 50 miles to get it worked on, just get a Japanese bike

Old 05-28-2022, 12:08 PM   #27

Quote:
WOW!!! I have no problem paying by money order so $1958 plus 6% PA sales tax so $2075 all in plus registration, inspection, and I'm not sure if getting a title for it costs anything in addition to the registration. That's a steal!!!

I just spent the last few hours educating myself on these. While I'm not sure what Lifan does customer service and warranty-wise if I have any serious issues given that my insurance won't pay to tow the thing 50+ miles (limited to 15miles).....will Lifan pay to have it towed or send someone to my home to work on it?? What good is that warranty if I can't get it to a mechanic?

Short of that, these looks entirely workable and seem to be great bikes from all the vids I've seen. The few complaints/problems I've seen, were either easy fixes or the people seemed to be idiots that had no experience with bikes. Now if that's not true and there are vids of faulty quality, I'd like to see them!

I need to call a local notary to see about registering/titling one and then make sure I can get it inspected with my local shop. But I might order one soon.

Just curious but from Powersports Max....how does it arrive? Just need to put the handlebars and switches on or is the front wheel and a bunch of other stuff off??

Thanks!!!
Regarding assembly...
Here is a video of assembling a crate bike. The nuts and bolt might be in a bag instead of in the frame for other crate bikes, but this is otherwise pretty common... Swingarm is folded up to tuck the rear wheel up, kickstand usually needs install, gear shift, brake lever usually as well. Kickstand usually needs install, instrument cluster is in a separate box, maybe with the headlamp assembly wrapped in soft plastic foam. Etcetra

https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/23812

Old 05-28-2022, 06:10 PM   #28

Quote:
The Benelli 135 does work but it's double the price out the door compared to the Lifan X Pect.

Thanks though!
My Xpect was $2500 OTD. A nearby dealer sells the Benelli 135 for $3200 OTD, so not twice the price. Also look at the KP Mini 150cc, 13HP, probably about $2600. X-Pro sells them on Amazon for $2279 with shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/Lifan-Motorcy...ps%2C99&sr=8-4

Lots of upgrade videos on YT for the KP Mini.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Last edited by TominMO; 05-28-2022 at 06:51 PM.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMxer View Post
..... I was seriously tempted to snag a Templar 250, but it's just a bit "too new" for me to leap at.
I bought the Templar X. For me, the specs won. The 19hp 249cc engine, fully adjustable shocks (including ballonet dampening adjust, and preload adjust on the rear!), folding short shifter and a 520 chain! And more... was all too good to pass up. All for $150 less than the expect, and many hundreds than a Bashan Brozz or Recon. or me, the point was to upgrade to a more powerful engine, better suspension. Frankly, my alternative was the GPX TSE250R (38hp 2-sroke!), but that would have cost more than $3000 more!

Will it hold up? We will see. These bikes are reliable these days, so I think it will be fine. I just didn't want to get the same 14hp standard bike. I will post any assembly issues, and any failures that might show up.

That engine makes 5hp more than the 233cc standard "250" we see in all of these CG clones. But on top of that, the cradle will accomodate a larger engine (maybe a liquid jacket Zongshen OHC 450!). Also, 19hp is nominal... imagine what kind of potential the Zongshen 249cc engine has. Advance key, carb mods, airbox mod or delete, porting, larger diameter header, etc. My guess is that I could end up with a 25+hp powerplant.

Last edited by Thumper; 05-29-2022 at 09:10 AM.

Old 05-29-2022, 02:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I bought the Templar X. For me, the specs won. The 19hp 249cc engine, fully adjustable shocks (including ballonet dampening adjust, and preload adjust on the rear!), folding short shifter and a 520 chain! ... Frankly, my alternative was the GPX TSE250R (38hp 2-sroke!), but that would have cost more than $3000 more!

That was exactly my predicament--so I bought a KLR! Of course, the Templar is a dirt bike at heart that's really only intended to ride one-up, while the KLR is a much more road oriented two-up kind of bike with lots of pannier/luggage options, which is what I was looking for.

But the OP is/was looking for a low bike, which are neither the Templar nor KLR.
2021 Hawk 150 (RPS Viper)