Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2022, 03:59 PM   #16

I have a Hawk250 with 10,000 trouble free miles on it. I have done quite a bit of modifications to it; both internal and external engine mods and the typical mods that are done for increased performance and reliability. This bike has been great, and I have definitely gotten my moneys worth out of it. If I had to do it all over again, I would’ve gone with a CSC TT250. Their customer service is awesome and probably the best in the business insofar as China bikes are concerned, they stand behind their product, and parts are readily available and cheap, but not cheap on quality.

Last edited by Dusman; 03-30-2022 at 11:44 AM.

Old 03-29-2022, 05:52 PM   #17

If less muss and fuss is your goal, then definitely take the advice of either a Lifan bike or the CSC TT250. Heck, even the Bashan bikes are worth a look. They are kind of the middle ground. Bikes like my Hawk CAN be very good, but they also require the most attention at first. Both in self-quality control (something I recommend on every brand of bike anyway) but also "owner warranty service" aka, you are on your own, figure it out.

That being said, as long as you aren't constantly tinkering on it like me, and just want to ride it, you just have to get through what I call the "break in" period, which is not just the engine/trans, but sorting out the little bugs and foibles that come up during the first thousand or so miles. Once I had my Hawk sorted out, I rode it almost daily for many thousands of miles with no more than regular oil changes, occasional spoke checks, and a quick "critical fastener check" once in a while due to the engine and tire vibrations. Even with thread locker and lock washers these bikes can still shake a bolt loose, something Harley owners know a lot about lol.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-04-2022, 08:53 PM   #18

I probably would have bought the Honda dual sport just for the resale value. But good luck finding a new one and the used ones are too expensive. So I got the TT250 instead and I really enjoy it. The newest dirt bike I’ve ever owned was early 80’s, so it’s not like I’m taking a step backwards technology wise. Lol

Old 05-06-2022, 05:30 PM   #19

I have ridden mine twice. It's very nice. Almost 20 miles on it. Seems to be very reliable so far.
Milwaukee, WI

Old 05-07-2022, 10:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK2K View Post
I spent a year or so wrenching on a beater dirtbike, so I'm not afraid to get my hands a little dirty.
But, my free time is more limited now, so I don't want to spend every weekend keeping a bike on the road. That also means I won't be riding that much, so I'm hesitant to drop $5k on a Japanese dual sport. So, I'm considering a Chinabike as a calculated risk.

Given these concerns, is a chinabike right for me? If so, which one?

I'm in the same boat. In the past, I've owned XR80, XR250, and a CR250. Those were in my younger days and analyzing what I want in a motorcycle now, I want something I can easily just jump on and go. I don't want to fuss with it too much. Street legal is a requirement because I don't want the extra hassle of loading it into my truck to ride. I want to go to the garage, jump on the thing and go.

I loved wrenching on my CR250. Those things are just made to come apart and go back together. The XR250 was the last bike I actually owned and in true Honda fashion, that thing just ran without the need for much more than changing the oil and adding gas. I ran around on logging roads with it mostly. It was tall (I'm short) and for farting around tight trails it wasn't great (neither was the CR). I buried it in a creek once and I thought I was going to die trying to pull that thing out of there and up the bank. In retrospect, I'd like a shorter ride, with more emphasis on single-track trail capability and I'll steer clear of the deep creek beds.

The LiFan X-Pect is currently at the top of my list. The newer version with the 250 looks good on paper but honestly, the shorter, cheaper, and lighter version with less power would do what I want to do. I've never owned an EFI bike but that is a plus in my book, not a negative.

I've also considered the Kawasaki KLX 230S. It is probably the "perfect" bike for what I want. It has a 6-speed transmission, EFI, 32-33" seat height, and I can just drive down to the dealer and buy one for about $5K. The LiFan X-Pect would be half that price, I'd give up a notch in the gearbox, 30cc & few other small details like a rear disc brake, o-ring chain as stock and a more traditional tire size.

I can see where this is going.

Old 05-07-2022, 02:19 PM   #21

"I'd like a shorter ride, with more emphasis on single-track trail capability"

I don't think the Xpect puts much emphasis on single-track (and I'm probably understating that). If spending 5k on a bike won't hurt you too badly, I think you'd be much happier with the KLX for single-track riding. The KLX 230 has 10% more torque, 40% more hp, etc. etc...

However, if the difference between $2100 and $5k could mean changing the brand of your dog's food, the Xpect can give you plenty of leisurely off-road enjoyment.
2021 Hawk 150 (RPS Viper)

Old 05-07-2022, 04:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt View Post

I don't think the Xpect puts much emphasis on single-track (and I'm probably understating that). If spending 5k on a bike won't hurt you too badly, I think you'd be much happier with the KLX for single-track riding. The KLX 230 has 10% more torque, 40% more hp, etc. etc...

However, if the difference between $2100 and $5k could mean changing the brand of your dog's food, the Xpect can give you plenty of leisurely off-road enjoyment.
Now I’m starting to wonder if I use the term single track incorrectly.

To me, single track is like what I used to ride mountain bikes on. A small foot path that goes through the woods or whatever scrub or even sand area that is no wider than the bike itself. There are often branches kind of sticking into it. It typically goes up and down over some steep spots and winds all around avoiding big trees.

I find the X-pect to be fun in these environments.

That’s why I’m not willing to get the larger front sprocket. I don’t want to lose the low end for having fun on single track. To me, it’s worth the 55 mile an hour, 7300 RPM top end tar ride.

Am I not correctly understanding single track?

To me, it means first and second gear and you’re not going that fast because you can’t. So light bike is the best for it. A mountain bike would be just as good sometimes.

Old 05-07-2022, 05:07 PM   #23

Quote:

The dog eats the cheap stuff and loves it.

I'm at the point in life where I could buy any of the options and the dog would still get generic. LOL...

Old 05-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Now I’m starting to wonder if I use the term single track incorrectly.

To me, single track is like what I used to ride mountain bikes on. A small foot path that goes through the woods or whatever scrub or even sand area that is no wider than the bike itself. There are often branches kind of sticking into it. It typically goes up and down over some steep spots and winds all around avoiding big trees.

I find the X-pect to be fun in these environments.

That’s why I’m not willing to get the larger front sprocket. I don’t want to lose the low end for having fun on single track. To me, it’s worth the 55 mile an hour, 7300 RPM top end tar ride.

Am I not correctly understanding single track?

To me, it means first and second gear and you’re not going that fast because you can’t. So light bike is the best for it. A mountain bike would be just as good sometimes.
You are using it the way I meant it. My wife and I trail run and the windy, rocky, rooty route where nobody can pass you is single track in our hobbies lingo. It is 1st/2nd gear terrain where the ability to touch the ground easily comes in handy.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:20 PM   #25

"Now I’m starting to wonder if I use the term single track incorrectly."

Maybe I've just watched too many videos of folks tearing up single track, knocking off their accessories, denting their rims, and running into trees.

If laid-back is ones approach, the Xpect would be great--and a lot cheaper.

Or, maybe someone who is smaller than me would get a lot more out of the Xpect's torque curve.

I must confess, if I myself came across a signle track, I wouldn't be doing it like the videos, so I guess in retrospect, I'm with you two.
2021 Hawk 150 (RPS Viper)

Old 05-07-2022, 08:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK2K View Post
I spent a year or so wrenching on a beater dirtbike, so I'm not afraid to get my hands a little dirty.
But, my free time is more limited now, so I don't want to spend every weekend keeping a bike on the road. That also means I won't be riding that much, so I'm hesitant to drop $5k on a Japanese dual sport. So, I'm considering a Chinabike as a calculated risk.
  • Typically, how much labor goes into keeping a Chinabike going beyond the initial setup (assembly, oilchange, threadlocker, etc.)? Is it a "few hours every weekend" sort of deal where small things regularly go wrong? Or is it a "one weekend every few months" type of deal where you don't have to worry about it?
  • If something's wrong with the bike, will dealers honor their "parts" warranties?
  • How common is it to get a lemon that requires a lot of extra labor or needs to be junked?
  • Is there a major difference in reliability/quality between the lower-end bikes (Magician, TBR7, Hawk) and the higher-end ones (Hawk DLX, Brozz, TT250)?

Given these concerns, is a chinabike right for me? If so, which one?
It seems apparent that it is a matter of $, or hands-on capability. There is some risk in buying a Chinese bike. Or pay 3 or 4 times as much for a Japanese bike. It is as simple as that. Is the few thousand dollars worth possible warranty value? It is up to you. folks here buy these bike on the assumption that they might need to fix/adjust or replace something. Some have better experiences, some worse. If you want a guarantee, look elsewhere. It really is that simple.

From there, pick your preference. Most of the bikes represented here will run after assembly. Jetting is the most common first need, but not surprisingly, the expertise is here to help navigate it, and much more!

Old 05-07-2022, 10:00 PM   #27

Quote:
"Now I’m starting to wonder if I use the term single track incorrectly."

Maybe I've just watched too many videos of folks tearing up single track, knocking off their accessories, denting their rims, and running into trees.

If laid-back is ones approach, the Xpect would be great--and a lot cheaper.

Or, maybe someone who is smaller than me would get a lot more out of the Xpect's torque curve.

I must confess, if I myself came across a signle track, I wouldn't be doing it like the videos, so I guess in retrospect, I'm with you two.
Ha ha ha. That’s a good response. I’m picturing those people tearing it up and knocking off their accessories and banging the bike all up.

I’m a pretty lightweight guy. 150 pounds. So I get a good kick out of the xpect. But I definitely don’t go through the single track at speeds like that. First reason is safety. Not getting myself killed. Second reason is like you said. Not breaking stuff.

Tags
beginner, dual sport, questions