Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2022, 06:33 PM   #1

Key stuck in TBR7 gas cap

Hi,

Getting ready to fill up my 2021 TBR7 for the first time so I removed the gas cap but the lock is not returning to the normal position so I cannot remove the key from the cap. I have tried penetrant and tapping with hammer but it will not release. Has anyone heard of this happening and how to release the mechanism and remove the key?

Thanks
Al

Old 04-18-2022, 07:42 PM   #2

OK Just put the gas cap back on and the key will release

Well This is my first time with a fully removable gas cap. I guess the idea is to keep the key in the cap so something bad wont happen ????. Well one "good" thing happened and that is I discovered a LOT of rust in the bottom 2 to 3 inches of the tank. Not sure how I am going to deal with this. Seems like ordering a new gas tank is best.

Thanks
Al

Old 04-18-2022, 11:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb1779 View Post
Well This is my first time with a fully removable gas cap. I guess the idea is to keep the key in the cap so something bad wont happen ????. Well one "good" thing happened and that is I discovered a LOT of rust in the bottom 2 to 3 inches of the tank. Not sure how I am going to deal with this. Seems like ordering a new gas tank is best.

Thanks
Al
Vinegar baking soda and b.b.s
Mix and pour in, shake and twist around, let set overnight ,empty then rinse with more vinagar.
To whoever stole my anti-depressants.
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 04-18-2022, 11:53 PM   #4

Well old fart you have to put gas cap back on tank,and push down to lock then key will come out

Old 04-19-2022, 08:34 AM   #5

tank slosh

My tank had some rust too. I sloshed it with phosphoric acid (It's a blue liquid called "Metal Etch and Prime" at Home Depot.) Apparently you don't need it full strength, just a couple of cups then top the tank off with water and let it sit overnight. It definitely works to convert rust into a paintable coating. Then I sloshed my tank with tank liner (forgot the name, it's the red stuff.) That was a few months ago, and it seems to be working fine.

I also removed the tumbler pins from my gas cap so I can open the tank with a screwdriver. It's 4 gallons. I'm not worried.

Old 04-19-2022, 05:50 PM   #6

I open mine with the key,why won't you want to use key?

Old 04-19-2022, 06:47 PM   #7

Did you push it into the tank? Mine won't turn back unless you "release" it by triggering something when you push it back onto the tank pretty hard. Maybe turn it to the right again, and then push it on again... if it got "stuck" or something in the open position.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:32 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to willardnigma Send a message via MSN to willardnigma Send a message via Yahoo to willardnigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhanka View Post
My tank had some rust too. I sloshed it with phosphoric acid (It's a blue liquid called "Metal Etch and Prime" at Home Depot.) Apparently you don't need it full strength, just a couple of cups then top the tank off with water and let it sit overnight. It definitely works to convert rust into a paintable coating. Then I sloshed my tank with tank liner (forgot the name, it's the red stuff.) That was a few months ago, and it seems to be working fine.

I also removed the tumbler pins from my gas cap so I can open the tank with a screwdriver. It's 4 gallons. I'm not worried.
4 gallons? In some areas 6.04 is the gas price. The thieves hit ya once, they're likely to try again.

Old 04-21-2022, 09:40 AM   #9

I've had plenty of locks fail to open with their key, especially when exposed to the elements, so I fear being locked out of my tank more than I fear gas thieves. But if I parked in the hood, I might feel differently.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:41 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to willardnigma Send a message via MSN to willardnigma Send a message via Yahoo to willardnigma
Yeah I'm rebuilding my tbr due to the hoodrats

One was even brazen enough to yoink my goldwing out my garage at 630 in the morning. He only made it a block before my geotag killed the power. I love my house but hate the apartments next door. I grew up in the hood but my daddy raised me right.

Tags
tbr7 key gas cap