Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2022, 12:51 AM   #16

The factory X-pect chain is a 428 with 128 links.

I wanted a sealed replacement, so I did some research and bought this one. It dropped right in.

JT Drive Chain 428 X1R Heavy Duty X-Ring Chain - 128 Links - Natural JTC428X1R128SL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072B8FYF4...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Old 03-16-2022, 03:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post

Is there a way to know which parts will fit your bike BEFORE ordering them?
As somebody who has wasted a good amount of money on parts that "might" have fit, I can definitely understand the hesitancy. The reason a lot of information exists about the Hawk is because myself, and others, have made the mistakes and learned from them. Others did it the smart way and measured stuff, which is often the best way to know. I have done this too. My favorite way is to spend untold hours finding pictures and comparing things until I can come to a reasonable conclusion that the part should work, and then ordering it and crossing my fingers. Amazingly, I have a pretty good success rate with that lol. The biggest gamble in terms of money that I took on my hawk was the YSS Fork Valves. I did some measuring, but I had no way of knowing for sure as I was walking on untread ground. Spent $100 on a well educated guess. What can I say, I make stupid financial decisions...

As far as the rear sprocket, it is most likely the same sprocket the rest of the Hawk style bikes use, but the only way to know for sure is to hear from another Xpect owner, or measure yours as suggested previously and compare it with the measurements from JT Sprockets. I say this because there has been a couple instances where a bike used a similar looking sprocket, but the bolt pattern was actually a bit smaller so it wouldn't fit.

As also previously mentioned, these bikes are a little bit of a mish mash of parts knocked off from other bikes, but the vast majority of them started out as a Honda design. Then they got altered a little to either suit a purpose or please somebody in a legal way.

The tire thing is one area where you are going to have slim pickings. Those goofy sizes are the main reason I am not a fan of the 17/19 bikes like the Brozz and TBR7. If you were looking for an off the shelf tire option in useable sizes though, the IRC GP1 (similar tire to the Shinko 244) does come in a 2.75x19 front and 4.6x17 rear, which should/could work on your bike.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-16-2022, 08:32 AM   #18

All the above being said, finding out the chain size for one's bike should be trivial: it's either in the owner's/service manual (assuming that there is one and/or you bothered downloading it somewhere), or, if need be, counting links by hand, using a permanent marker every 10 links to avoid losing count (I did that in order to confirm the length stated in the manual, as some sources differed slightly on that topic). Width is gonna either be 428 (most common) or 528 (in more "upmarket" or "hi-performance" models.

Now, some manufacturers may sell chains at exactly the length you're looking for, others may only have longer ones, or the longer ones may actually be cheaper. Those you can always cut down.