Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2022, 06:38 PM   #1

Tool to hold fork damper

Anyone ever use a tool to hold a fork damper/piston to tighten the bolt on the bottom of the fork? Does this tool work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BikeMaster-...-127632-2357-0

Old 02-24-2022, 06:47 PM   #2

Been using a wooden broomstick since 1976 to do that job with no issues ,special tool not required .

Old 02-24-2022, 06:53 PM   #3

Yep, tapered wooden broom stick from the hardware store.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-24-2022, 07:01 PM   #4

Last time I had to do this (on the Bashan, for what it's worth) the broomstick trick wasn't doing it for me. I discovered that there's a hex in the thing for some manner of Special Tool, and I have a hex-to-socket adapter from Harbor Freight that fits it perfectly. I attached that to a ton of socket extensions and just held the end in a pair of pliers while I spun the screw back in. I believe the hex head was for a 3/8" wrench which I guess is close enough to 10mm which is probably the size that the hex pocket in the piston actually is.

You could also do the same thing if you had a loooooong bolt with the appropriate head size or more realistically, a short bolt, a piece of steel scrap, and a welder. Or a coupling nut and some allthread.

I'd probably spend more than $20 cobbling together something to do the same job, but it's the principle of the thing.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:44 AM   #5

For my tbr7 , I just cracked the cap nuts loose on top before I loosened the tree clamps. Then I used an impact wrench on the bottom bolts and they came out. I did use a broom handle for reassembly.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 02-25-2022, 07:29 AM   #6

Just an impact for me, take it off, no problem, when reinstalling it, make sure it gets properly torqued, and replace/flatten+anneal the copper washer at the base.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:37 PM   #7

Anyone remember which way the springs go back in, small coils down or up?

Old 02-25-2022, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nospark View Post
Anyone remember which way the springs go back in, small coils down or up?
Not taking apart my son's new front forks for you.
I always take photos when I take things apart that I know I need to reassemble, at least until I know I will remember. Like this:
https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=30342
Otherwise, you are working from memory.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:29 PM   #9

Thumper thanks. It's nice to know you guys give up your Friday nights to helo 'ol NoSpark out of all the stupid crap he does. If I understand the pics correctly. The small coils are at the top. This makes sense to me as this would give you a progressive spring rate. Is that what you remember?
It's funny I am pretty religious about taking pics. One, I didn't expect to take it apart as nothing I saw on the YouTube talked about this dampener tube spinning issue & Two, I didn't realize the was a top and bottom when I pulled the spring.
I'm gonna make one of those dampener holder things. I figure I can weld them up and sell 'em to China bike guys. I can make for $20 and sell 'em for $5. Probably will weld one up for me though. Although the broom handle thing is an elegant solution, there's just something about shoving that wooden shaft down that hole that just felt wrong.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nospark View Post
Thumper thanks. It's nice to know you guys give up your Friday nights to helo 'ol NoSpark out of all the stupid crap he does. If I understand the pics correctly. The small coils are at the top. This makes sense to me as this would give you a progressive spring rate. Is that what you remember?
It's funny I am pretty religious about taking pics. One, I didn't expect to take it apart as nothing I saw on the YouTube talked about this dampener tube spinning issue & Two, I didn't realize the was a top and bottom when I pulled the spring.
I'm gonna make one of those dampener holder things. I figure I can weld them up and sell 'em to China bike guys. I can make for $20 and sell 'em for $5. Probably will weld one up for me though. Although the broom handle thing is an elegant solution, there's just something about shoving that wooden shaft down that hole that just felt wrong.
Oh. The Storm forks are USD. Doesn't apply to TBR7. It was just an example. Sorry. Take apart the second fork to find out which orientation the spring should be be.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:47 PM   #11

Wait until you figure out that it doesn't matter what direction the coils face. That will blow your mind.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-25-2022, 10:47 PM   #12

Oh, yep. Removed both springs. Laid 'em down. I know which was left & right but not top and bottom. You should stop by some time. I'm fun to watch.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:02 PM   #13

Well... I hope Megadan is correct that it doesn't matter. My small brain can't come up with a good reason to argue that and besides, it's beer time. Got front brake fluid flushed, got rear brake fluid flushed, got fork oil changed and forks reassembled with small coils on springs facing up. (only took 6 hours). Got front 17 tooth front sprocket on. May try and tackle carb jetting tomorrow.
Good news I now know more about TBR7 front fork parts and assembly than I guy should. I did have the long, approx 10" spacers. I've heard that's a good thing but maybe doesn't matter. I looked at 'em and put 'em back in. No top or bottom to those as far as this guy could see
I couldn't have gotten this far without everyone's help. Much appreciated.