Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2021, 10:08 PM   #1

Can someone identify this wire? (Hawk 250)

I was going to ride earlier today and my neutral light wouldn't come on. At first I thought that I was stuck and couldn't ride, but I can still start the bike by holding in the clutch. I've identified the issue, the wire in the pictures below was broken, although I can ride without replacing it, for my safety I would rather get a new one. I've done a lot of research to find what this cable is but nothing has matched.
Off topic, but I also plan on getting a digital gauge, how should I go about that?

Old 10-25-2021, 10:12 PM   #2

https://imgur.com/a/9kZbPn2

The images didn't embed so I'm posting the link to the images on imgur

Old 10-27-2021, 07:29 PM   #3

GoldenBoy I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know about uploading images.

When you do the Attachments (paper clip) a dialog will pop up for uploading your picture. After uploading the image, you actually have to go to Attachments again to select the image. So, it is a two step process to get it to properly attach to your message.

Hope this helps you in the future and sorry I couldn't help with the real issue!

Old 10-27-2021, 08:26 PM   #4

Those bundle of wires should go to the gear/neutral indicator sending unit. Your bike might not have a gear indication display but 1 of those wires should go to a neutral light.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:27 PM   #5

Okay, I've purchased a replacement wire, and I've also bought a speedometer I found on Amazon. Hoping it fits but if it doesn't its an easy return. Anyway I wanted to get all the gears displayed on the new speedometer, the bike comes stock with only one wire that connects to the display. How can I add more wires, or do I have to replace the entire speedometer cluster with a digital one?

Research on my own has proven unhelpful, so I need some help. If necessary I'll send more pictures, thank you to everyone who has and will help

Old 10-29-2021, 05:05 AM   #6

Yoy do not have to replace the dash if it works, the 1 wire that is conected is liekly the neutral indicator sending wire.

the other wires will be the gears. the pickup contact will vary depending on the engine.

you can get a separate gear display like this for cheap
https://www.amazon.com.au/Motorcycle.../dp/B09FY4FQ4H
and a holder like this and a less cheap display that will fit into it like this..
https://www.amazon.com.au/HILABEE-In.../dp/B09J12KW4N

...or spend more and get an after market dash that has gears displayed and just wire into it that way.

Old 10-29-2021, 03:56 PM   #7

Hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
Yoy do not have to replace the dash if it works, the 1 wire that is conected is liekly the neutral indicator sending wire.

the other wires will be the gears. the pickup contact will vary depending on the engine.
My stock speedometer is functional, though the gas gauge is a bit wonky. It's not a serious problem at all, I just like to know exactly what the level is for peace of mind.

The dash I got has a display that can show all 5 gears + neutral, and the bike itself is only suited for the neutral display. I'm not sure where to go from here, but I'll get some pictures tonight cause my engine is still hot

Old 10-29-2021, 10:18 PM   #8

Got the speedometer, didn't fit

The replacement wire came in though, that fits just right

This is the wire that connects to the dash that only has one fitting, I want to find out how I can add more to it or replace it entirely if necessary. If I can't do anything that's also fine as I've already done what was needed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211029-201404_Files by Google-min.jpg (101.0 KB, 110 views)

Old 10-30-2021, 12:11 AM   #9

Is there only 1 pin? this will be neutral then , if you peel back any insulation can you see the 5 other wires?

Yes you will likely have to get some m/f plug and pin wiring kit...If you want to wire it up you will have to locate the 5 other sender wires from the dash and the gear shift sensor module thingy...

If you're fine with it the way it is don't worry about then.

Old 10-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy1704 View Post
https://imgur.com/a/9kZbPn2

The images didn't embed so I'm posting the link to the images on imgur
I had the same issue from factory with that sensor wiring. They pinched it in the sprocket cover during assembly. The cluster always displayed 4th gear unless I was in neutral. I'm going to order a new sensor and just replace the whole thing.

Also, anyone have an idea where I can buy a digital cluster? I ordered one from amazon but it doesn't have the same menus as the ones that come with the hawk dlx. And it doesn't have the option to switch to mph from kph, although it was clearly stated many times in the listing that it did.