Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #1

Doh! Hawk 250 Inner tube change

Let me preface this by saying I love my Hawk 250, I obsess about it to the point where my family, and fiancé are tired of hearing me talk about it. Going from having no experience riding/wrenching I’ve grown with my bike and can do just about any maintenance task for it. That being said there are some things I don’t necessarily want to do on my own. I had my rear inner tube blow out on me mid way through an intersection nearly lost control of the rear of my bike but was able to coast myself to the side. If your like me you likely glossed over this fact the stock tubes are straight garbage don’t think because they haven’t blown they won’t in the future. (Consider this a warning from a friend)

What’s the best Heavy Inner tube to order and is it possible a cycle shop can install the tubes for me?(Cycle Gear…ETC) I don’t particularly want to buy a tire iron and it would be a very tedious task for me considering previous experiences.

Mods so far:
SS exhaust from Amazon see Motocheez
Digital cluster and speedometer
CSC shift fork
CSC air filter
DID 428VX Xring chain

Old 07-07-2021, 04:12 AM   #2

Buy the tire iron, get a heavy duty tube from Amazon, and do it yourself. Pivotrax makes a good tube, Twin Power is good, Michelen even has a few out there, depending on the size you need. The reason I say to just buy the stuff and do it yourself is this: If you like the bike as much as you say, it won't be long until you start going out on longer rides, likely off road, and you will undoubtedly have a flat somewhere that it's faster and less headache to just change it yourself rather than call for a rescue. We had a flat on one of our Phoenix to Wickenburg rides a while back. We all pitched in, and patched the tube in the middle of the desert with a downed tree trunk serving as a jack. That's a skill that every rider should have, IMO. It would also make sense to buy tire irons with wrenches built into the back. You need to measure your axle nuts/bolts, and get the right size. Here's a link to get you pointed in the right direction:
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Tire...s%2C172&sr=8-7

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 07-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #3

Before you replace the tube be sure to check spoke tension. If you have a loose spoke -- pretty much par for the course on Chinese bikes -- the type of tube you install won't really matter -- it'll eventually go flat, quickly.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:29 AM   #4

There are some really awful inner tubes out there. Some seem to be made with 50% bubble gum and 50% sawdust. A tube labeled heavy duty doesn't matter if it's made of sawdust. Buy a name brand tube like a Michelin and get a spare for the next time. Also use plenty of talcum powder.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #5

Thanks guys! Yeah the rear valve stem was completely separated from the tube gum and sawdust is about right.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:06 AM   #6

Everyone has made some good points here, can you tell us what was your air pressure on your tire? I know some like to run on lower pressure for a smoother ride or more traction, but on tube type tires maybe knot so good of an idea no matter how great the tube is... Just thinking out loud

Old 05-30-2022, 02:50 PM   #7

tube replacement

It happens. I removed my rear tire, after getting a flat & took to a local bike shop. The guy was a pro & 30 minutes, I had a new tube & rubber spoke strap. Yes it was a few $ But I know it wasn't pinched & done correctly. Now to align the chain & leave some slack. 1 less headache. My TT250 calls for 35 psi I usually let it get to 32 before I struggle with those extra long air chucks.

Old 05-30-2022, 04:30 PM   #8

Yup, it is incredibly important too keep the air pressure right when you have a tube type tire. Or

Old 05-30-2022, 04:34 PM   #9

Because my post didn’t get through, have a flat

Old 05-30-2022, 11:03 PM   #10

Michelin Airstop butyl reinforced Motocross tubes are good and tough. But as others are saying, tube protection strip lining the tire, and properly adjusted spokes are important. And it doesn't hurt to have a TOUGH tire. Tusk DSport is beefy, but it is oriented towards off-road so might not be your style.