Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2021, 06:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbrash View Post
Say what you will, but I've seen plenty of 200lb dudes with their 175lb wives/consorts/ladies/friends/dogs-cats-chickens riding on those Honda Cubs...so?

Sorry, but I couldn't resist :-D

....ahem, to get back OT, if dirt or even just fire road riding is a "must", then something dirt-capable but also more powerful (and more heavy-duty, pun intended) than an entry-level dual-sport will be needed. How about a mid-sized ADV bike, like a Honda Transalp, or something like a V-Strom 650 with a dirt-friendly setup? Those have quite accessible riding positions and seat heights (especially the V-Strom), and the rider:vehicle weight ratio (and power:weight) ratio will certainly be much better.

I realize that the short inseam limits you from a lot of otherwise quite solid (again, pun intended) options, like Africa Twins, Yamaha XT660, Suzuki DR800 Big, and BMWs R1200 GS, and similar heavy adventure/dual sport bikes. I don't know how much suspension setup those can take though, so it might still be worth looking into it.

The goal is to get something that will carry you effortlessly and last you, not something that will be stretched to its absolute limits (and perhaps beyond them...) each time you ride it.

Edit: beyond those choices, a lot of "scrambler" or classic "standard" type bikes are dirt-capable enough to handle fire roads, if they come with a classic scambler or "do-it-all" kind of tire pattern, and offer quite an accessible seat height/riding position. The trick is to find one which can accept an upgrade to the suspension's stiffness, while alterations to ride height should not be needed. Again, forget anything below 400cc.

Last edited by ChillRider; 07-05-2021 at 07:25 AM.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:13 AM   #17

I see no reason why a chinese dual sport couldn't do what the OP wants to do? I have chased big 3 bikes thru the woods with my roketa, on dirty rooted single track, with supermoto wheels mind you, and i am pushing 300# and 6'3" tall, with no other mods to anything other than a pod filter, decatted exhaust and the supermoto wheels... have i cracked body panels? Yep...have i cracked anything frame related? Nope.... get a bike that works for you and ride the snot out of it...

These bikes are actually built tougher than most think... sure, you get the one odd newb that breaks something (usually trying to be travis pastrana on a budget) and claims it broke dropping it off the tailgate of a truck... but, how many of these bikes are in third world countries, where American fire roads are like superhighways compared to thier roads... simple as this. If it breaks it can be fixed...

Old 07-05-2021, 08:38 AM   #18

Well, that's still 100 lbs less than the OP, plus the low inseam means that he will have trouble controlling anything with an above average seat height. His level of experience also does not allow him to just take any bike and ride it effortlessly to its limits (athleticism levels and ability to correct for any mistakes while riding also is probably not at the same level).

The problem is that a bike that is:
  1. beginner friendly, in particularly "flat footable" by a guy with a 28" inseam, and extremely forgiving.
  2. able to carry heavy loads without significant stress to the engine/frame
  3. dirt-road capable, in particular in combination with #1.
  4. affordable
all at the same time, does not exist. A TW200 might come close if you let go of the "affordable" part (it's not really cheap for what it is), and you reaaaaaallly handwave part #2. as it will be constantly ridden above its nominal max load.

Of course, there's the escapist option of equipping a cruiser with off-road-ish tires and hoping for the best Just don't be like this guy:

Of course there's also the option of not caring about any of points #2-#3, as long as it's cheap and manageable, and just consider it expendable and really trash it on the trails. If it breaks, just get another one.

Old 07-05-2021, 10:16 AM   #19

What the actual F did I just watch? Ha ha ha. Crazy trail riding those Harleys.

Old 07-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
I see no reason why a chinese dual sport couldn't do what the OP wants to do? I have chased big 3 bikes thru the woods with my roketa, on dirty rooted single track, with supermoto wheels mind you, and i am pushing 300# and 6'3" tall, with no other mods to anything other than a pod filter, decatted exhaust and the supermoto wheels... have i cracked body panels? Yep...have i cracked anything frame related? Nope.... get a bike that works for you and ride the snot out of it...

These bikes are actually built tougher than most think... sure, you get the one odd newb that breaks something (usually trying to be travis pastrana on a budget) and claims it broke dropping it off the tailgate of a truck... but, how many of these bikes are in third world countries, where American fire roads are like superhighways compared to thier roads... simple as this. If it breaks it can be fixed...
It's not what it's capable of doing. It's finding the compromise. Unfortunately, circumstances don't allow for everything the OP wants. The easiest thing wild be to forgo seat height for everything else. That's a video of a little person riding what looks like a 250 ninja. Homie just jumps off the bike at lights. The OP just has to get used to holding a bike up with one leg.

Also, as someone at 250 lbs with a 200cc bike (but also a 373, 750, and 1000) I'd say in the trails, he'll be okay, until steep-ish hills. On the road, he'll suffer on the highways. City riding will be fine, though.

If you wanna see what I mean, strap an extra 60lbs to your bike on the seat, then go ride.

Old 07-05-2021, 03:57 PM   #21

If there's a will, there's a way:

Includes two-up dirt riding as well, and seat height is enough for "shoe braking" as well (fortunately!).

Old 07-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #22

Sounds like the perfect bike for him might be a Honda trail 90 -110-125 .Tough as nails ,low seat height ,step through frame .and can handle any fire road with a 500lb guy riding it .

Old 07-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #23

Just goes to show you, 2 guys (pushing 400lbs) can very easily ride a mini-bike, though not really recommended!

Old 07-05-2021, 09:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillRider View Post
If there's a will, there's a way:

Includes two-up dirt riding as well, and seat height is enough for "shoe braking" as well (fortunately!).
That was a damn good video. Lol. Far more brave men, than I. Also, tractor supply can almost always save the day. Lol

Old 07-06-2021, 08:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by krat View Post
It is almost as if no one here has ever seen a Chinese dual sport, or a 375 pound man.

Oh I have :-D

BTW, this particular guy can bench press the bike itself if he needed to, no sweat.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:57 PM   #26

What about this little BADASS! A CT125 goosed up radically! Put some massive shocks on, change the sprocket ratio and RUMBLE down that fire-road!

Old 07-06-2021, 11:24 PM   #27

A CT125 will not be the fastest or win any races...But it will get you where you want to go and back again.

upgrade the rear shocks if needed, low seat.

It's a good reliable choice, The only place it hurts is the upfront cost. They are not really cheap*

If you can find an old frame and slap in a 190cc chonda engine you might get places a bit faster.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:51 AM   #28

One good thing about this thread is that it has made me feel much less guilty about thrashing around my 200 pound carcass down the trails on my 50cc TaoTao scooter!

Old 07-12-2021, 07:51 AM   #29

Thanks again everyone for your various thoughts.

After looking at all of the suggestions, I've decided to give the Lifan Xpect a try. It ticks most of the boxes ("low"-ish seat height, efi, and price). Order is in so just waiting for it to arrive. When it shows up I'll get it put together, replace the fork oil, and find the heaviest rear shock I can that will fit and give it a go and see what happens.

Old 07-12-2021, 02:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNoob View Post
Thanks again everyone for your various thoughts.

After looking at all of the suggestions, I've decided to give the Lifan Xpect a try. It ticks most of the boxes ("low"-ish seat height, efi, and price). Order is in so just waiting for it to arrive. When it shows up I'll get it put together, replace the fork oil, and find the heaviest rear shock I can that will fit and give it a go and see what happens.
Good luck with the Lifan. If it is a tough as my Bashan Storm, it should be ridable for you on the street. I have dumped it a few times off road and gave myself a few abrasions, but other than scratches on the plastic, no bends or breakage (one turn signal lens doesn't count!).

BUT...If you go off-road, you may be OK in mild trails without large bumps or holes/troughs. My front forks are really stiff and resist compression. Also, your weight is mostly on the rear tire. So if you also get stiff forks with good springs like I got on the Storm, your will only be concerned about the rear shock (mine is monoshock, not sure about the Lifan). Your extra weight will get your feet closer to the ground, which is actually helpful in your case.

Be careful with bottoming out. Maybe stand up when you see a bump coming, and let your knees absorb some of bump instead of all weight on the seat (rear suspension). If it bottoms out, and the bump has not been fully absorbed, the next thing to give will be shock mount welds and possibly frame. Standing up and letting your knees take some of the compression will protect the rear suspension/frame.

Last edited by Thumper; 07-13-2021 at 08:04 AM.