Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2021, 08:51 AM   #1

Common tools needed

So, fingers crossed my bike should be here tomorrow, and way ahead of schedule. This being my first china bike, or really a big boy project at all I'm in need of some help on what to buy to put the dang thing together.

What are the tools I'm going to need for this puzzle? Ratchets and sockets? What sizes? Metric I assume or in Imperial measurements? Phillips or flat head screwdrivers?

What kind of Loctite do you recommend? Red or Blue?

Is there anything you suggest may need to have anti-seize applied to it?

Is there anything that happens to be specific to the Magician 250 tool or part related?

I'm not completely tool ignorant, but everything I have is geared towards my job and all those tools are too fine or small for this kind of work. Id hate to walk into the local tool shop though and go crazy buying tools I don't need.

Appreciate any help you can give.

Last edited by M76; 04-22-2021 at 08:52 AM. Reason: typos

Old 04-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #2

Here is a thread on it. Start basics work up.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25156

Highly recommend the Resource thread at the top of the post as a guide.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #3

Oh and working on the Magician carburetor or air filter is an exercise in frustration unless you do an air box mod suggested in this post. Better to do it one time at build up.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...an+performance

Old 04-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #4

I never actually managed to get the airbox out of my magician.
Swapping the carb made me swear profusely.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #5

Yes, metric. Sockets and/or wrenches.

M8,10,12,13,14,15,17,19, and a 24 for the filter screen cap.

JIS Driver set is a really good idea so you don't strip all of those screws that look like phillips, but are actually JIS.

Loctite 243 will cover every base. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, use red (high strength) loctite. It's not needed. I have never once used it, and never had a bolt fall out. If you want to go full paranoid, then use a lock washer or stover nut where applicable. After that, personal responsibility to do an occasional check of the important fasteners, like you should do on any bike.

I do highly recommend using anti-seize on the bolt for the ground strap from the battery that goes into the engine case. This will corrode galvanically in short order, and being made of chineseium metal, will probably break off in the engine by the time you may need to remove it.

Jam nuts on the exhaust header studs is also a really good idea. If they still use the acorn capped style nuts on the stock system, simply remove that, add a normal nut, then use the original nut as a jam nut. This will stop your header flange nuts from falling out that often results in broken studs
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I never actually managed to get the airbox out of my magician.
Swapping the carb made me swear profusely.
Took me over an hour the first time. The battery tray has to angled just this way so and that way too...etc then airbox has to be in this position to make it all work....PITA

Old 04-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #7

I'm going to second the JIS screwdriver set - best $20 I ever spent and honestly they work better in regular Philips heads too.

I was planning to use lock washers under my acorn nuts for the header once I get my new gasket. Jam nuts may be a better option though.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 04-22-2021, 09:03 PM   #8

I got the Chase Harper brand tool roll and it has turned out to be the perfect size for everything I need to carry.
3/8 ratchet, metric socket set, two 12mm combination wrenches, two 13mm combination wrenches, I think 4 different sizes metric hex to 3/8 drive sockets, one 6 in 1 screwdriver, one somewhat precision flathead screwdriver, zip ties, one pair 6 inch Channel locks, two pair 4 inch vise grips, utility knife, and a bic lighter wrapped with duct tape on the top and electrical tape on the bottom. And a pair of wire strippers/needle nose. Oh and a 6 inch crescent wrench and some band aids lol.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:09 PM   #9

I also forgot to mention a 10mm combination wrench as well.
The best thing to do is see what works for you. The tool roll works out nice for me vs. a hard sided traditional box.
The best way to figure out what you need to carry, is as you work on the bike, figure out what you use the most or might need to do in an emergency.
Set those tools you use as you work in a pile.
As you use them, think of how the best way to carry them on your bike would be.
Then put them in a container that works for you and your setup, and try to make them as compact as possible. The smaller you go, maybe you can fit a few more things in.