Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2021, 07:09 AM   #1

Where to get SAE 90 gear oil for stock chain?

The manual for my new RPS Hawk 250 says: “Lubricate the chain every 500 miles if it appears to be dry. Only use SAE 90 gear oil for lubrication, other chain lubricants may contain solvents that can damage the rubber o-rings.”

Any idea where to get SAE 90 gear oil? I see a lot of multi-weight oils for sale but no straight 90 weight.

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Old 04-03-2021, 07:22 AM   #2

Doesn't have to be 90 wt. 75/85, 90/140, or any other gear oil will be fine.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:47 AM   #3

Any standard gear oil will be fine, but I would recommend a standard chain lube, gear oil might attract too much dust and road grit.

Old 04-03-2021, 12:46 PM   #4

Use chain cleaner and then chain lube. They put the sae 90 thing because it's the cheaper way to do it.

I like to use motul products.
This will clean the chain quite well
Name:  clean.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  21.7 KB

This lube the chain, they have either street use or off road.
Name:  RACING-ROAD-1.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  30.1 KB

Old 04-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #5

Some Oring/Xring manufacturers recommend gear oil only for their chains because it won't damage the rubber. All that needs to be lubricated is the O or X rings themselves so they don't dry out and crack. A dry O/X ring chain will last longest as long as the rubber is kept from drying out and cracking.

Old 04-03-2021, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Some Oring/Xring manufacturers recommend gear oil only for their chains because it won't damage the rubber. All that needs to be lubricated is the O or X rings themselves so they don't dry out and crack. A dry O/X ring chain will last longest as long as the rubber is kept from drying out and cracking.
I wonder if it would pay to spray a freshly cleaned O,orX ring chain down with Armour All, or similar product before lubing it.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:03 PM   #7

I use spray on chain lubes because its easy... and I HATE the smell of gear oil. Lol
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 04-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #8

I use DuPont Teflon Chain Saver, Started using it last summer on the Honda CRF250L, it's waxy so the overspray can get messy but this stuff lasted weeks.

Link Here

NO HILL TOO STEEP NO MUD TOO DEEP
The Brozz | The Hawk Upgrades, Accessories, Etc...
Assembly Checklist: Brozz 250 | Hawk 250
~idle_purr

Old 04-04-2021, 08:36 AM   #9

Gear lube on a chain is a dirt magnet. I've done it before and regretted it within a few weeks. I use Chain Wax spray now. It's much cleaner in the long run.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #10

Gear lube does indeed attract dirt and grit that wears on the chain and sprockets, that's why you only use a very tiny amount, just on the O/X rings, not on the rollers. Keep the rollers and sprockets dry if you want them to last.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:50 AM   #11

FWIW: Fortnine tested chain lube recently; gear oil was not a dirt magnet. In fact it attracted less grit than chain wax (Maxima) and was close to Motul in avoidance of grit attraction.

Gear oil was superior in rust prevention and near the top of the rankings in lubrication properties. Taking all factors into account, gear oil came out #1 in the test. As stated in the video, this is probably why virtually all MC manufacturers recommend gear oil to lube the chain, as do many (most?) chain manufacturers.

Fortnine also tested chain cleaners, and Simple Green came out #2 (of the products not deemed to have a fatal flaw).

For many of us, the attraction of China bikes is their simplicity, low cost, and no-nonsense practicality and utility.

The Fortnine videos provide strong scientific evidence that cleaning with Simple Green and lubing with gear oil (both available for pennies a treatment at virtually any type of store or gas station) is simple, low in cost, and provides non-nonsense practicality and utility in chain maintenance.

Thus, I would submit that this combination should be the China-Bike Rider's Choice (TM).

Old 04-04-2021, 11:45 AM   #12

Yes, after I saw those two videos awhile back that's what I use.

Old 04-04-2021, 01:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rogers View Post
Gear oil was superior in rust prevention and near the top of the rankings in lubrication properties. Taking all factors into account, gear oil came out #1 in the test. As stated in the video, this is probably why virtually all MC manufacturers recommend gear oil to lube the chain, as do many (most?) chain manufacturers.
I used to liKe Fortnine videos, till he became a Royal Enfield rep.... Did he really tried to tell us that Royal enfield were building better engines even than Ducatti or most Japanese brand???
Or when he "trash talked" Harley to make Royal look like a better brand.

Like i said early gear oil is a valid choice, but most mfg don't recommend gear oil for chain lube. They recommend their own lube.
Honda Chain Lube:
Name:  X001.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  60.7 KB

Yamaha Chain Lube:
Name:  D_NQ_NP_2X_683905-MLA28157556403_092018-F.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  19.6 KB

Kawasaki:
Name:  K61021507-1-1.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  11.0 KB

Suzuku:
Name:  D_NQ_NP_2X_999916-MLA31681617812_082019-F.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  22.1 KB

BMW:
Name:  chain-lube-oiler-scottoil-standard.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  51.3 KB

D.I.D has their own line of chain cleaners and chain lubes too.

Even worst, he put first gear oil as a chain lube and then WD40 over the specialized products...
Really you are going to lube a chain with something that will evaporate fast and leave the chain bone dry??
Do your own test, lube a few chain links with WD40 and then lube a few chain links with a specialized product, see what happens after few days.
It's been beaten to death WD40 just like the name implies it's a water displacement, not a lubricant, yes a smart salesman come with the "MORE THAN 100 USES!!" even they say you can use it to clean and lube guns...

Old 04-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #14

I saw the Fortnine videos too. In fact they are what led me to try gear lube in the first place. From my own experience, my opinion is it is a dirt magnet. It creates a mess, and I wouldn't suggest anyone use it.

John

Old 04-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #15

I have become a fan of Maxima's line of cleaner, lube, and chain wax. I used to use DuPont chain saver as well as Pro Honda white graphite dry lube (still love that one) but I have started using the Maxima stuff recently, and the wax lubricant does a great job of not being a total crud magnet.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Tags
chain lubrication