Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #1

FML163 Engine (Shineray) Oil in magneto cover?

Hello everyone, new around here.

Well, the title is pretty self-explanatory. I had a chain failure, a link tore off and apparently it made a hole in the magneto cover (which I didn't see, somehow). So as I installed the new chain, started the quad and oil flew everywhere! My question is, is this engine supposed to have oil in the stator/magneto case, or is it dry one? It's pretty confusing seeing it's a dirt bike engine (which are usually dry), has O-rings on the covers (wet?), a free opening where the starter goes in (dry??). It's a vertical engine, but unsure if it has oil paths to bathe the magneto. If it's not supposed to be full of oil, I should perhaps check the crankshaft seal, but will wait for some answers first Couldn't find exact information on the internet, hopefully someone here will have the knowledge.

P.S: I'm also afraid that the missing piece could've entered inside and probably get stuck between the flywheel and the case, or magneto and sensor or something.. which could lead to breaking the seal and/or bearing, which leads to excessive oiling :/

Picture link:
http://i.imgur.com/S6xGWOV.jpg

Old 04-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #2

Yes. The oil helps cool the stator and lube the starter clutch and drive gears.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:01 AM   #3

Ah, hope you're right and it's infact wet side. Its just weird that there's no sealing where the starter goes in the reduction gears, hopefully it's indeed not my crank seal and bearing.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:50 AM   #4

Old thread I know. By now you've probably figured out that yes, there is oil under that cover and that the starter is sealed by an o-ring on the nose of the starter itself.