Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2021, 03:48 PM   #1

New Lifan x-pect throttle weirdness

I’m putting together my new Lifan x-pect and I’m stumped.

My throttle is “springy “ in the wrong direction!

It feels like a normal throttle but only when you turn it AWAY from you. It can’t go on the bike any other way so what’s going on??
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D9655504-FD5F-4BAA-A2F6-4248F29FFE54.jpeg (123.4 KB, 303 views)

Old 03-05-2021, 04:01 PM   #2

I would check the throttle body side of things. All of the spring in the throttle system on a bike is on the carb/throttle body side. I have never seen the throttle body assy on the Xpect in person, so I can only speculate.

It should be fairly obvious to see which direction the throttle has spring tension.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I would check the throttle body side of things. All of the spring in the throttle system on a bike is on the carb/throttle body side. I have never seen the throttle body assy on the Xpect in person, so I can only speculate.

It should be fairly obvious to see which direction the throttle has spring tension.
Watching the throttle body turn, it’s indeed opening the throttle when turning the handle away from the rider. It’s all backwards at the grip somehow.

Also, I have a stripped side panel screw/fastener that I assume I have to take pdf to get the battery installed. Came pre stripped from the factory or dealer.

These are some unexpected problems for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F0D7367E-88C6-4D8B-A47A-D3B663B441CF.jpeg (35.2 KB, 285 views)

Old 03-05-2021, 04:17 PM   #4

Does anyone know where the battery goes in one of these things? It’s not obvious. And I’m struggling to find the seat release. I’m used to atvs and street bikes so maybe no seat release?

Old 03-05-2021, 04:39 PM   #5

Ok, never mind the last post. No seat release. Bolts.

The throttle thing is nuts though

Old 03-05-2021, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Watching the throttle body turn, it’s indeed opening the throttle when turning the handle away from the rider. It’s all backwards at the grip somehow.
It's not the throttle operation that is of concern. It's the spring ON the throttle, or the throttle cam itself. The throttle on the handlebar has no spring in it, all of the throttle spring is on the throttle body.

Can you take a picture of the throttle body where the cable connects to the cam?

Old 03-05-2021, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
It's not the throttle operation that is of concern. It's the spring ON the throttle, or the throttle cam itself. The throttle on the handlebar has no spring in it, all of the throttle spring is on the throttle body.

Can you take a picture of the throttle body where the cable connects to the cam?
Sure. Here it is at half throttle.

I just drove it around messed up.

You have to twist the throttle AWAY from you to give it gas. I can’t understand this for the life of me. Why would they build it like that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EAC09BC1-D49F-4C45-9BA7-F0AC6A53D70E.jpeg (98.1 KB, 291 views)

Old 03-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #8

I had to work through the throttle system as well, you have to set the thing up so that it works in the correct direction, if you can take a good look at it you should be able to figure out the correct orientation of the throttle and assemble it so that it works right.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Sure. Here it is at half throttle.

I just drove it around messed up.

You have to twist the throttle AWAY from you to give it gas. I can’t understand this for the life of me. Why would they build it like that?
Ok, so that end does look right. I would have to guess that they probably routed the cable at the handlebar backward somehow - somehow having the cable routed around the throttle tube from the wrong side, or you managed to get the ultra rare backward throttle assembly lol.

I would loosen all of the cable adjustments so you have full slack on the cable and take apart the throttle assembly to access the throttle tube and see if the cable is routed to be pulled by rolling it toward you. It almost sounds like the cable got routed to the wrong side of the throttle tube cam. That is the only way it would make sense given what you have described

Old 03-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #10

If you just remove the head of the cable and fit it on the other side you should be able to put it all together.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #11

Ok, thanks, guys.

I’ll take apart the throttle mechanism on the handlebars and see why it’s wound the wrong way. I didn’t think it was serviceable. But I now see you can open it.

I’m also missing a screw for the blinker assembly so I have to go find one at the hardware store. Little stuff really.

Also I was sitting there and something went SNAP and a thing flew by me. I was kind of confused at what could have launched off the bike. It was the kickstand spring!!

I didn’t do the valve adjustment and just gave it a shot as is. The oil in the bike looked fantastic (and real) when I drained it out to put the T4 Rotella 15-40 in.

Love the bike though!!!

This is definitely the most fun someone can have for $2000. Ha ha.

Took it around some dirt roads and trails. No plates for a while while sorting that stuff out and waiting on MSO, Bill of Sale.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #12

Lifan Xpect throttle

Mine was the same way I loosened the throttle and it corrected to pull throttle in correct direction, it’s not a big deal definitely don’t put on other side lol but it’s an easy fix. Been there and mine is good as should be now

Old 03-07-2021, 07:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifanXpectRider View Post
Mine was the same way I loosened the throttle and it corrected to pull throttle in correct direction, it’s not a big deal definitely don’t put on other side lol but it’s an easy fix. Been there and mine is good as should be now
Yup. It was a quick fix.

There is a plastic stopper inside the throttle assembly. The tab that rotates with the twist was on the wrong side of the stopper.

I fixed it in under a minute.

Things seem much more suspicious when something is brand new. I feel like as you get acquainted with these bikes they start doing better and better.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:16 AM   #14

Quote:
These are some unexpected problems for sure.

These camo green "mushroom-type" allen-head bolts look SO familar, as my Zong has them everywhere in its body paneling, in the rear rack, and, infamously, also for holding the front brake calipers. Needless to say, when one of those gets seized for any reason, it's stripping time...I generally replace them when possible.

As for the throttle mechanism...is there any chance, any at all, that they ducked up somewhere with the delivery and this was originially meant as a custom left-handed throttle setup? Or maybe that's the new standard in China

Old 03-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #15

Check out my channel on YouTube South Florida adventures works for everything life and XPECT