Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2021, 12:58 AM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
Yes that's true, but I guess what I'm asking is is there a common mistake that people make installing a master link ?
There are several.

Clip orientation as you mentioned, your description is correct

Clip engagement. Not having the clip seated fully in the groove.

Clip malformation. A stretched radius on the closed end.

Wrong pitch link.

Twisted link plates resulting in bind.

Are some examples

Old 03-18-2021, 09:55 PM   #17

I ordered a 42 tooth rear sprocket, but no front yet. Speaking like one would in terms of a truck,or car , I figured the 17 front with the 42 rear is a 2.47 -1 ratio, and my 46 R / 17F is around a 2.70-1. I am thinking about ordering an 14, or 15 tooth front to run sometimes with my 42R .This would put me at 3.00- 1 with a 14F /42R. I know it wouldn't be a high speed gear, but as quick as it is to change a front sprocket , I figure it may make the bike more versatile by having both high, and low gearing by just changing the front sprocket. I did read on the Bashan Facebook page last night were a guy stated that certain size combinations of sprocket sizes could tear up the rubber chain pad on the swing arm. Is this something that I would encounter ?

Old 03-18-2021, 10:06 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I ordered a 42 tooth rear sprocket, but no front yet. Speaking like one would in terms of a truck,or car , I figured the 17 front with the 42 rear is a 2.47 -1 ratio, and my 46 R / 17F is around a 2.70-1. I am thinking about ordering an 14, or 15 tooth front to run sometimes with my 42R .This would put me at 3.00- 1 with a 14F /42R. I know it wouldn't be a high speed gear, but as quick as it is to change a front sprocket , I figure it may make the bike more versatile by having both high, and low gearing by just changing the front sprocket. I did read on the Bashan Facebook page last night were a guy stated that certain size combinations of sprocket sizes could tear up the rubber chain pad on the swing arm. Is this something that I would encounter ?
Everytime you swap a sprocket you have to adjust the chain. It isnt convenient to swap front sprockets often. Its also not good for chain life. There is a ratio that will make the gearing ideal for you in MOST situations. No one bike can do everything well.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:35 PM   #19

Here's a ratio chart for a quick reference...