Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2021, 03:52 PM   #16

I like the description of the one i just bought which was linked previously ($17), especially the part about increasing power.. something tells me not to hold my breath on that one lol

【Functions】Quickly cooling engine oil, reduce engine wear and increase power.

I had already planned on doing 1000 mile oil changes, im sure that this oil cooler will possibly even push that range further if i want it to which is a cool benefit.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 02-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
What?? Didn't realize an oil-cooler is only like $18, are you kidding me! I thought it was closer to $100 which is why i didn't immediately add it to my wish-list.. but damn at this price its a no-brainer.. thanks for that Amazon link.. im planning to purchase it and worst case it fitment is an issue, it has free-return so no harm no foul.
No need to thank me. I would never have found it if I had been looking at the link Slithica had posted. I was reading up on the one on his link, and it was at the bottom of the page , in the little space were Amazon puts similar items. I got my bike today, and put it all together,except for the fork guards. I will adjust the valves, and change oil tomorrow ,while I charge the battery.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:41 AM   #18

???? What's the difference?

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...im/refuge08-20

https://www.amazon.com/Qiilu-Motorcy...7WTWKXY4&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Co...7HHZ7L8F&psc=1

Same distributer for all 3. Took my chances and ordered the $18 one.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_airhead View Post

Yep, i noticed that as well, i think the $91 one appeals more to the richers who can say they bought the most expensive version of the same thing

Old 02-27-2021, 05:31 PM   #20

I got my cooler in the mail the other day, but I haven't put it on. I can tell from my very limited riding that one probably should either mount it up high like MegaDan shows in his picture, or have a mud flap. From me just puttering around on my new Brozz the bar that runs in front of the motor is muddy, and if I had a cooler on it it would have to be cleaned often . I figure it would be worse on the Recon model. I will probably install my cooler when I change oil, and will go up as high as I can, preferably higher than the rear of the fender ,as MegaDan did. I will probably still get a mud flap though.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:08 PM   #21

Sounds like ours were delivered on the same day lol.. I just installed mine earlier, was pretty easy install.. I did have to use I believe they were 4" or 5" bolts to attach the cooler as high as possible so you'll need 2 longer bolts that's for certain but you'll be relieved to find that i guess due to our smaller front tire, the front fender is shaped in such a way that it clears the cooler with a hair to spare on full lock turns so that was a relief.
I did zip tie a wire screen over the cooler as a minimal protection but am satisfied with its position being high enough to be on the safe side.
As far as install, I filled it with 120 ml and then 1 quart in the engine and the level appears to be low, and thinking through it probably because of the cooler lines also taking up fluid space so will fill more oil tomorrow.
Also make sure you mark all of the screws that have the oil passage holes, theres a good YouTube video on the install but for the most part the hole passages seem to line up when tightened

Old 02-27-2021, 09:45 PM   #22

I just ordered one for my Brozz $31 bucks. I’d looked at oil coolers before but felt I didn’t need one. But for the cost it’s hard to pass up.
2022 GPX FSE 450R

Old 02-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #23

PSA: when you go to do the install, make sure you watch the YouTube video closely.
After i installed the oil cooler fully, i realized that i made 2 mistakes that i corrected this morning:
1. I connected the oil filter screen part upside down, it needs to be oriented so that the rounded edge of the screen (the part that catches debris) is pointed up toward the top of the bike. This is the line that comes in 2 pieces and the oil exiting the bike (outflow - bottom hole on adapter) goes up this line, thru the filter screen where any sediment is trapped on its way up to the cooler. Then the other line runs back down to the adapter (solid line - 1 piece) and gets connected to the top part of the adapter.
2. I mistakenly removed and set aside the blue cap that is attached to the adapter. I just assumed it was a cap that should be removed and later realized that it is a seal that pushes inside to seal the oil flow, at least i believe thats the case. The YT video i watched showed the adapter in tact with the cap and then later installed on, i just assumed it was removed at the time. Last nite i found another video where it shows the in-tact adapter with the blue seal being inserted to the threads and tightened.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
This is the line that comes in 2 pieces and the oil exiting the bike (outflow - bottom hole on adapter) goes up this line, thru the filter screen where any sediment is trapped on its way up to the cooler. Then the other line runs back down to the adapter (solid line - 1 piece) and gets connected to the top part of the adapter.
You have the flow turned around. There is no outflow. When you connect find the adapter inlet hole that comes through the blue gasket. This is the oil pump inlet line, mark it with a magic marker or some other means so you know which one it is. Oil flows into this line and to the oil pump. The other line is a line to the oil sump. The adapter basically seals the oil sump from the oil pump making it pull oil through the cooler by hydraulic action. When you take it apart look at the oil strainer orientation, this is the orientation you want in the large aluminum inline cylinder. Which way you hook the lines to the cooler doesn't really matter but generally the left side of cooler "as you sit on the bike" and also adapter side is oil pump inlet. Because it pulls oil through the system, use the syringe to fill the cooler AND the oil pump inlet line. No need to fill sump line as it would just drain down to the sump and over fill. When it starts it will pull oil up through the cooler. I've learned these principles by trial and error so thought would clarify.

Last edited by China Rider 27; 02-28-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:50 AM   #25

Perhaps i explained it backwards with respect to the flow, but i have mine installed exactly as shown in this video now, can you confirm whether it is correct or not?:

I have that inlet hole on the adapter marked and its final orientation is in the bottom position and seen by looking up from under the bike as in the video. In this position, with the adapter fully seated, the top hole aligns with the hole inside the engine oil chamber (for lack of a better term). From reading your post, am i correct that oil sucks thru the bottom hole on the adapter, climbs the half line, goes thru the filter, climbs the second line into the oil cooler and then exits the other side line (throttle side) and then is connected to the single line that is screwed into the top hole of the oil adapter

Also, with all that being said, one drawback to the system i guess is not knowing whether the oil is flowing or not thru the cooler, would be nice if the filter chamber had a see thru window or something.
Also, curious whether the oil in the oil cooler will actually drain out during an oil change by just removing the oil drain bolt. Im assuming it wont, and if not, what method are you guys draining oil the oil with?

Last edited by tknj99; 02-28-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #26

There is no video attached to the post? Just the ebay location for PE30? You need to turn your thinking around. The adapter hole position on the bottom when it is fully seated is the inlet to the oil pump in my experiece. Oil flows from the sump, through the cooler down the line, through the large aluminum filter screen into the adapter as pulled by and to the oil pump. I hesitated to mention hole location just in case somebody has an adapter that fits weird. Always make sure you know which hole on the adapter is for the oil pump inlet.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #27

Fixed the link. I believe i have the oil inlet lined up with the hole on the adapter that is towards the edge outside of the blue seal. When seated the bottom hole aligns with the oil inlet as you described.
The top hole, the oil sump, is aligned with the hole inside the adapter blue seal.
So that should mean now that the oil flowing out of the engine from the sump is attached to the long single line that connects on the throttle side on the oil cooler. I then have the single line connected on the clutch side of the oil cooler as it flows back down thru the filter canister and thru the second single line to the bottom hole on the adapter - oil inlet. In this orientation the oil filter screen is attached so that the rounded catching edge is facing up, and this sound like it is again backwards.
I guess the video is wrong in that case? It sounds like i just need to flip the screen canister back so that the rounded edge is facing down to catch debris as the oil passes thru it back to the oil inlet

Leave it to me to make something easy so complex lol

Old 02-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #28

@China_Rider_27: Ok now im really confused, you made 2 statements i found that contradict each other, can you confirm which is correct:

Statement 1: "When you connect find the adapter inlet hole that comes through the blue gasket. This is the oil pump inlet line, mark it with a magic marker or some other means so you know which one it is. Oil flows into this line and to the oil pump. The other line is a line to the oil sump."

Statement 2: "The adapter hole position on the bottom when it is fully seated is the inlet to the oil pump in my experiece."

When fully seated, the the top hole inside the oil chamber in the engine lines up with the hole on the adapter inside the blue seal and the bottom hole lines up with the bottom section of the oil chamber

If statement 1 is correct, then this is exactly how i have mine setup now which is how the video has it as well.. Perhaps your adapter seated opposite to mine and the video im guessing

Old 02-28-2021, 12:51 PM   #29

I don't think I am being confusing here. The hole in the center of the adapter.....surrounded by the blue gasket fits to the oil pump inlet (hole in the engine and will be surround and sealed off from the sump by the blue gasket) and when the adapter is tightened will be the lower most hole on the adapter or hole most towards the ground and away from the engine. Again, if there is variation in adapters it might not be that way, therefore mark it and make sure you set up your cooler in accordance with that location is what I am saying. I have found on two oil cooler installations that is the case. I am working on adapter leak so I am immediately familiar with all these issues.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #30

Ok perfect, so i have it set properly, all lines, adapter, filter screen are all good in that case. Glad we went thru this exercise as it may help the next guy..

So to summarize:
- follow the linked to YouTube video
- dont discard the blue cap/seal
- the filter orients with the rounded section facing up
- the hole on the adapter inside the blue seal will line up with the top hole in the engine oil cavity and feed the oil inlet where oil is sucked into the engine. the long 1-piece hose will attach to this hole on the adapter and can connect on the throttle side of the cooler
- the hole on the adapter towards the bottom edge will align with the bottom of the engine oil cavity and connect to the oil sump where oil will flow out of the engine to thru the screen and thru the cooler. The 2-piece hose with filter screen will attach to this hole on the adapter and can connect on the clutch side of the bike.
- I filled the cooler with 120ml and then another 1.2 qt or so in the engine