Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Vote with your wallet and leave that overtaxed, non-gun friendly, corrupt, communist state! I did the same from HELLinois 17 years ago and never looked back. There are not too many places east of the Mississippi i would even consider living........
I live in CT but have a place in NH. Live free or die, and they mean it.... also they don't specify who is going to do the dying in case you choose to take the free part away.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #77

Hi Everyone,
So yesterday I took my paperwork to the DMV in Chautauqua County NY. Registered the Hawk as a motorcycle, got my plate and sticker and put it on the bike. Then I rode over to my local inspection shop and the bike was successfully inspected. This morning, I got a voicemail from the lady who registered the bike saying that it's an ATV, and that I have to come in and transfer the registration.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Everything on the DMV's website, under my account, is showing I'm good to go. I'm thinking about just ignoring the voicemail and seeing what happens. Any suggestions???

Old 08-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKELETON View Post
Hi Everyone,
So yesterday I took my paperwork to the DMV in Chautauqua County NY. Registered the Hawk as a motorcycle, got my plate and sticker and put it on the bike. Then I rode over to my local inspection shop and the bike was successfully inspected. This morning, I got a voicemail from the lady who registered the bike saying that it's an ATV, and that I have to come in and transfer the registration.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Everything on the DMV's website, under my account, is showing I'm good to go. I'm thinking about just ignoring the voicemail and seeing what happens. Any suggestions???

How is the Hawk listed on the MSO/MCO? It should say "motorcycle" (or "MCY") on there otherwise they'll likely register it as something else. Where did you purchase your Hawk?

I'd suggest calling the DMV to get more info. What could happen (if you don't contact the DMV) is that that you will never receive a title, but I'm not sure what may become of the registration (the DMV could suspend it).

I had no issues registering the Hawk in the Buffalo, NY area and received the title from the DMV in the mail late July 2018 (purchased in June 2018). I have a plate on it and it's fully inspected. No issues from the DMV whatsoever. Was never asked about EPA stickers, DOT certifications, none of that was required. MCO/MSO, bill of sale, and the proper forms filled-out, plus sales tax payment, was all the DMV needed.
1. Mikuni VM26 Carburetor w/#115 main jet
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster
6. Aftermarket IMS shift lever
7. Performance Aftermarket Exhaust
8. 295mm Nitrogen Gas Monoshock, 20W oil front forks

Old 07-21-2020, 12:19 AM   #79

That’s a lie

I have a brozz250 and registered mine. I live in ny. Did not have an issue. But due to low cost u can’t have full coverage. There’s also plenty of hawks running around here tagged and insured. I don’t know who thinks they know all. Low cost and all that extra crap don’t matter lol. Stop discouraging people from buying them. I would not buy it if u are looking for the power.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkforfleas View Post
I have a brozz250 and registered mine. I live in ny. Did not have an issue. But due to low cost u can’t have full coverage. There’s also plenty of hawks running around here tagged and insured. I don’t know who thinks they know all. Low cost and all that extra crap don’t matter lol. Stop discouraging people from buying them. I would not buy it if u are looking for the power.
There are several brands of dual-sports available. The Hawk, as imported and distributed by Ricky Power Sports (RPS), has been EPA certified for several years as an 'Off-road dirtbike'. Numerous states have registered and plated them based on loopholes--the MCO comes listed as 'Motorcycle', not 'Dirtbike' and the bikes come with full street legal lighting. However, while some may have registered their Hawks in NY under the loophole, it appears that may no longer be the case. It is recommended to NOT buy a RPS Hawk in NY if one wants to street register their bike. I believe NJ as well. A few other states as well.

There are plenty of other bikes that are EPA/DOT certified as 49-state street legal, or 'On-highway' legal bikes (49-state means 'Californians need not apply'). For one, RPS has a 49-state legal Hawk DLX which several members here and on the China Bikes North American Facebook group have registered in NY the past year or so. Your Brozz, as manufactured by Bashan and distributed by Peace Sports is 49-state street legal. The Apollo '36' Deluxe is also 49-states street legal (but is actually legal in California as a dirtbike). CSC sells the Zongshen TT250, which is actually very close to the RPS Hawk, and that bike is actually 50-state street legal. The Lifan X-Pect 200 is another 49-state legal dual-sport. There are a couple more bikes I am sure I missed that are 49-state legal.

The point is--know your brands and know your state's DMV. Do not order a bike that is not 49-state STREET legal (every state but California). Otherwise, you might end up with a dead weight.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-22-2021, 09:49 PM   #81

I live in NY and plan to order one of these Hawks very soon. However I keep finding myself discouraged when I look up registering the Hawk in NY because this thread is quite literally the first thing that pops up.

Everything about the Hawk seems wonderful to me, except this thread is like a horror story and has pretty much discouraged me from buying the bike.

I have called TXPowerSports and they assure me that this bike is Street Legal in NY, but I am just afraid to pull the trigger because of this post, I'm worried they might just be trying to sell me something even if I cannot register it.

Can anyone confirm once and for all if this is Street Legal in NY, or guide me on how to find out straight from the horses mouth?

Aside from actually purchasing the bike and trying to register it, I am clueless as to how I would confirm the street legality of the bike.

Also if this bike can be registered for the street in NY, then something should be done about this thread because it has literally sent me down a rabbit hole trying to find a straight answer.

Thank you
~Chris

Last edited by idle_purr; 02-24-2021 at 08:37 AM.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:28 AM   #82

Send a message via AIM to spete
No problem registering my 2020 carburated hawk with the Madison county DMV last August

Old 02-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #83

No problems with my dlx. I’m on Long Island

Old 02-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle_purr View Post
I live in NY and plan to order one of these Hawks very soon. However I keep finding myself discouraged when I look up registering the Hawk in NY because this thread is quite literally the first thing that pops up.

Seriously dude, just buy a Bashan. The Bashan Enforcer/BSR250/41H is basically the same bike as the Hawk but is 49 state street legal. You could also go for the Brozz, Storm, etc. Then you don't have to worry about it.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #85

I called txpowersports where I plan to make my purchase, to get a full vin# of the bike.

I am going to call my local DMV and find out for sure if they can register it for the road. Hawk 250 VIN: L0WHDN109G1002307 Every 0 being a number, not a letter.

I will post an update after I contact the DMV.

***So Far I've had no luck reaching an agent to talk to about this, and everything requires an appointment to go into the local DMV.

I know so many people have contributed to this thread, but this is just me doing my part in 2021. This is a high ranking thread on google and I would hate for people to be discouraged from getting the bike.

Last edited by idle_purr; 02-24-2021 at 10:20 AM.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:18 PM   #86

Find a better dealer .That is a “Manny” company ,search this site for Manny and txpowersports ,they are consistently the worst dealers we hear about around here .

Old 02-23-2021, 05:33 PM   #87

A buddy of mine just got a hawk in buffalo NY a few weeks ago and registered it as a MOTORCYCLE at the DMV here in Buffalo with zero problems. He just made sure to tell the dealer to put "Motorcycle" on the mso/mco

Old 02-23-2021, 07:32 PM   #88

I think New York has been on again/off again with the Hawk, but I do see a couple encouraging recent posts where it seems to be on again. Keep in mind, the carbed Hawk is EPA certified as an 'Offroad dirtbike' by the EPA and is on the current list and has been on the past several years' EPA offroad lists--the same lists that certify dune buggies, ATVs, side-by-sides, and other off-road-only products. So, those states that plate the bikes are the same states that plate converted dirtbikes. The wonderful thing about the Hawk is that it has ALL street-legal equipment built-in whereas one has to find kits to convert dirtbikes to do so in states which plate offroad bikes, such as Arizona. I have seen a member here (or maybe on the 'China Bikes North America' Facebook page--I am getting old and recently recovered from COVID) who plated a Pitster Pro/GPX 2-stroke dirtbike in the state of NY. So it seems like NY will plate offroad bikes converted with street equipment, not to mention dealers will write 'Motorcycle' on the MCO (as opposed to 'Dirtbike' or 'Offroad dirtbike). BUT, do your homework as you are doing because you don't want to be 'THAT member' screwed by NY and shafted by TXPowersports. A great alternative would be any of the Bashan bikes (Brozz, Brozz Recon, Storm, or BMS CRP 250) as several members have had no problems getting those registered in NY, but I do understand the draw of the Hawk--having the lowest cost dual-sport (OK, there is the Tao TBR7, another good street-legal alternative) which is like a kit that needs to be improved. Good luck and let us know how everything goes!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_dgz View Post
Seriously dude, just buy a Bashan. The Bashan Enforcer/BSR250/41H is basically the same bike as the Hawk but is 49 state street legal. You could also go for the Brozz, Storm, etc. Then you don't have to worry about it.

I've been looking this bike up, it actually seems to be a better build than a hawk dlx. I saw in a Motocheez video that this comes with a counterbalanced engine. I read on the website that it has 17f 45r gearing out of the box which helps in my case. It has braded lines, a digital dash, a more standard tire size etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Find a better dealer .That is a “Manny” company ,search this site for Manny and txpowersports ,they are consistently the worst dealers we hear about around here .
I ended up grabbing a Black Brozz 250 from Jeff at Peace Sports. If anyone is interested, you can shop at peacesports.com or brozz250.com They provided great customer service, I hope I get a good one!

Last edited by idle_purr; 02-26-2021 at 07:42 PM.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:48 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle_purr View Post
I've been looking this bike up, it actually seems to be a better build than a hawk dlx. I saw in a Motocheez video that this comes with a counterbalanced engine. I read on the website that it has 17f 45r gearing out of the box which helps in my case. It has braded lines, a digital dash, a more standard tire size etc...

I ended up grabbing a Black Brozz 250 from Jeff at Peace Sports. If anyone is interested, you can shop at peacesports.com or brozz250.com They provided great customer service, I hope I get a good one!
They are 17/46 gears if that one rear tooth makes a difference You got a good bike, more so from Jeff, and congratulations!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150