Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Mavrick
My Bike Cuts Off

My bike has cut off on me three times now. The first time was when my gf and I were riding up a small hill in 3rd gear, it just shut off at the top. Nothing that would strain the bike, but it did it anyway. And then twice today. As soon as I took off from my house, I had to stop about hundred yards away at the first stop sign, and it shut off then. After I rode around for a bit, I thought I would see how fast my bike would go, and I got up to about 60mph (110km?) I didn't get too high rpm's or anything, and as soon as I began to slow down, it cut off and I just coasted to a stop. What's up with this?

I believe when I stopped at the stop sign, my bike probably wasn't warm enough to idle, because I was impatient on waiting for the choke to warm it up. But other than that, I'm not sure what's up? I dont' want this happening to me on the highway, so what do you guys think it is?

Also, my bike has a hard time starting. I'm sure it's probably the carb needle, but I have no idea how to fix that, even with a guide I couldn't do it. I can start it if I give it a little gas but it won't idle if I let it go.

What's up?

Old 05-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #2

Whada pain ehhh........
Ive been getting off my bike everytime it does that and giving it a swift kick in the as$.....it seems to be learning!! 8O

Old 05-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #3

lol

Do you know why it does it though?

Old 05-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #4

Have you adjusted your throttle jet? The C clip mod?

2007 HI-BIRD 250
2007 Vbike V4S 250

Old 05-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
As for your cutout issue, does it restart right away? How is it running at higher RPM's?

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 05-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #6

the c clip mod is pretty easy. start there

only real tool you might need is a cheap set of needle nosed pliers to pull the retainer out
pull the seat off, locate the cable that goes into the carb, unscrew it fromn the cap. and pull it out. once removed you should see how the cable is connected to the plunger,, compress the spring and slip the cable through the slot. the rest is shown in the pics under c clip mod sticky

the hardest part is getting the needle back in the carb be very carefull dont get frustrated and try to force it.

MAKE SURE TO KEEP DIRT OUT OF THE CARB WHEN DOING THIS.

I have had the problem with the bike cutting off also. I am begenning to suspect that I got some dirt fouling up the mainjets in my carb. If I decide to tear into the carb I will take some pics of the work incase that is your issue.

I understand that this your first bike and all. Are you still in High School?
If so take advantage of the small engines class yes they probably only have lawn mowers but I am sure the teacher in there would be more than helpfull for you.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #7

My bike did that when the idle speed is too low.

My bike doesn't like the carb mod (C-clip needle). By the carbon in the exhaust, I can tell it was runing too rich with the mod. I was getting bad gas mileage with the mod, also. The mod makes it easier to start the bike when cold, but the MPG is more important for me.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #8

You could clean out the carb and set your idle a little higher when you do the c-clip.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #9

My bike did that too, Try adjusting the Idle a little with the screw on the side of the carb...If that doesn't work then do the carb mod. It's not to hard and pretty easy to do...

Old 05-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #10

Mine would do that too until I turned up the idle. Knob on the right side of the carb about in the middle.

Also with my bike the second notch from the pointed end of the needle seems to work well.

Allen

Old 05-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #11

Not much I can add to all that's been said already...but a couple of things come to mind....

Get a cheap, clear, in-line fuel filter to ensure you're feeding the carb clean fuel. And try to remember that your engine is still new. I think (and I could be wrong) that it's common for new engines to have a little trouble on a cold start. Be patient...and you might see a change after 500 miles or so. I know mine starts and runs better cold now, compared to the first few hundred miles....with no changes but oil and time.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 05-22-2008, 01:10 AM   #12

I've found out that I can start it right up if I barely pull the throttle back when I try and start it. However, I have to rev it just a tiny bit or else it will just cut off again if I let go.

And also, it cut off on me twice again today while I was riding. It seems to want to do it when I begin to slow down after high speeds. This scares me, I don't want this happening once I'm riding around town with other vehicles. It may have just been my fuel though. I don't think I had enough gas. When I bought the bike, the guy decided to put some gas in the tank, so I could get where I needed to go, but for the length he held the gas jug there, I thought he filled it up, but I checked and it's pretty much empty. You think this could be the reason for the cutting off?

And for the idling, I'll have to mess with that later once I get some tools. I'm currently without anything except for a little multi-tool that looks like a butterfly knife that folds out into plyers along with knife, flathead, philips, etc. I put it in the little container thing behind my battery.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:13 AM   #13

I would guess if your tank is empty, your bike don't run so good! :roll:
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
My bike doesn't like the carb mod (C-clip needle). By the carbon in the exhaust, I can tell it was runing too rich with the mod. I was getting bad gas mileage with the mod, also. The mod makes it easier to start the bike when cold, but the MPG is more important for me.
What size carb do you have, 27 or 30? This could be the difference in running rich with the c-clip mod.
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 05-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #15

you should be able to adjust the idle screw on the side of the carb with the multi tool.
This is what it will look like, it's below your seat/gas tank.... you will probably be able to adjust it with out taking anything off the bike. you will just need a Flat head screw driver. It is the Brass Flat head screw on the side of the carb