Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #31

Alright - the verdict!

Just got back, STILL have some chain slap on the front sprocket cover.. not sure what to do about that other than shave it down a little with my Dremel, or take it off..

Nice and brappy!! I'm not sure if that really changed so much, but it feels like a completely different bike now. Feels to have extended my gears a good bit, I can cruise on my little 25mph road at 30mph in 4th now; little incline - 3rd gear. Actually got some off-roading in today as well. There's a little road behind my old high school that's pretty neat - used to take my bicycle through there yeeeeeeears ago. Got pretty crappy through the years, so not a bad little road for the bike! Loads of ruts / dirt / rocks from weather going up the hills. Was able to keep my gears lower, before on the straights I was in 4th @ 35mph, now it feels better at the same speed in 3rd. Chain slacked up just a liiiittle bit more so I'm going to readjust the slack. Definitely can hear I'm hitting the 'powerband' a little more now, it is GRUNTY in lower RPMs. Not so grunty that it chugs and bogs, but did take some torque out - but not that much. I'm happy with it for now - I'll leave it be till it's time for a new chain and sprockets. Thinking about getting the 35T for when that time does come. Or, drop one tooth in the front; might take the chain slap out? And it's not really doing it when I accelerate; more so when I'm coming off the throttle to shift down. And doesn't sound like it's damaging, to me. Just a little tappy. Anyway - 13T front, 30T rear, 105 link X-ring chain.

Overall definite change in feel. Absolutely feels like I can go on more open roads like 45mph or 55mph and not be screaming at WOT lol I did have ONE stall while on an incline, but my fault. Need to get used to the new gearing for inclines.

IF it stays warm tomorrow, warm enough to ride, I'll try to go out and take my GoPro with me to get a video for everyone.

Thinking about going up in main jet as well - not sure what is in there already. Someone that posted recently has the same carb I do, 30mm 'Mikuni', and has a 110 main. When I'm idling, if I roll the throttle non-aggressively then it's fine. If I roll the throttle like from 0-WOT it'll bog, sometimes stall. Mix is at 1.5 turns out - stock air box / filter, no needle position change. The carb came with a new pod filter but, I have crap results with it on. Also running Ethanol-free gas. Luckily have a local station that has it in premium! So also running 91oct. My boost bottle seems to have cleaned up the idle as well. Nice solid 1200rpm idle, no skips. Booster also helped out on low-end getty-up - lost secret art lol

Old 11-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
know what works really smooth for a clutch lever? converting to hydro....LOL i wsa going thru a cable a year on my shinray, bit the bullet and bought a hydraulic master, slave, and hose, and havent looked back...
I may have to look into this.. Thought about it before.. Also saw the cable dealies that take out the length somehow? Like a 'stunt' shifter I think..

How much for a decent hydraulic setup?

Old 11-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #33

Thumbs Up Yeah!

Alright!

Finally got my 12T front sprocket on with the 30T rear! PERFECT! Nice low purr going ~60MPH; no more screaming at 50MPH lol actually geared for on/off-roading now!

Did get some time to take it off-road; feels good there too. No bog or shuttering going up hill. Also got a TwinAir YZ450F filter, pre-oiled - HOLY SH!T, what an improvement. Absolutely NO backfiring on a high rev to 0 throttle. My stock filter was very very poorly oiled - like one tiny dab of oil.. If anyone has a filter setup like the 450 (not sure if the Orion is like this either, triangular filter) definitely get the TwinAir filter. It felt like there was no filter there in terms of rev-up speed either. Other than the PWK 30mm carb., I'm ready to go!

Now I'm just waiting to get my title back from Richmond to go get plates!

Old 11-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyTBR7 View Post
My TBR7 came with a 530 chain, 12 front and 38 rear stock. It was way too much torque and was screaming at 55mph in this setup.

I changed it to a 13T front, 32 rear and 520 chain based on sprocket availability. With the 520 chain setup, it is bigger, so likely 13 tooth is likely the max. I did not try a 14 but thinking it probably would be too tight.

See the 2021 TBR7 thread for details and ordering links.
I went with this 13/32 setup and now cruise 60-65 with normal wind. Hit 71mph the other night crossing and FL60 Bridge (Courtney Campbell Causeway) in Tampa Bay on the flat portion, probably with the wind at my back.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welbalance View Post
I went with this 13/32 setup and now cruise 60-65 with normal wind. Hit 71mph the other night crossing and FL60 Bridge (Courtney Campbell Causeway) in Tampa Bay on the flat portion, probably with the wind at my back.

Nice! When I was out before the cold really started to settle in; I was able to hit 70 with the stock 13TF/40TR - going with the wind, and downhill lol I haven't been out just yet to get a full top speed yet - getting nippy now! I just put a 110 main jet in my carb. May go out tomorrow if it's not crappy. I bet it's still good weather to ride down in FL!

*Edit* Nope - too cold lol Was blowing the snow here in VA yesterday. Couldn't get on the forums! Still need to roll my bike out and get it started. Will update!

Last edited by Plump Kibbles; 12-02-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #36

What chain size for 17t front 45t rear?

Hey guys! New to this forum here and new to the riding community! Not too sure on how to navigate this site too much yet but just hoping to get this out there and find some advice! I

Old 12-12-2020, 04:04 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvela347 View Post
Hey guys! New to this forum here and new to the riding community! Not too sure on how to navigate this site too much yet but just hoping to get this out there and find some advice! I

Welcome!

So, my luck was pretty much stopped immediately with the 17T front as my bike just HAD to come with the 520 pitch chain I kid.. but, there won't be enough room for the front and my chain to use a 17T and a 520 pitch chain, as I found out; for what you're using I would say a 428? I think that's the size of the older Hawks. Anyone feel free to correct me, I'm not that familiar with the Hawk line. I wasn't aware of the beffyness of the 520 chain until I got my X-ring. I'll sacrifice the lesser teeth in the front for that; I kind of feel better about not having chain issues.

Would you happen to know what pitch your chain is? You may get lucky and have an engraving on either front / rear sprocket that says the pitch. Mine was on the rear marked 44T 520. The combination of front / rear sprocket teeth might drive you batty lol my endeavor left me with a 17T front 420 pitch sprocket, unused. I can sell if interested. But, I found what I wanted for both on / off road combo - though there might be quite a few that would suggest other pairing.. I wanted to drop the RPMs so that I didn't feel as if I was going to blow the engine trying to get around town.. Trial and error! I ended up with a 12T front, and a 30T rear. I may go up a few teeth in the rear just so it doesn't look so small

Old 12-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #38

Thanks!

After doing some research I also found that the 428 would be best recommend for this application. I

Old 12-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvela347 View Post
After doing some research I also found that the 428 would be best recommend for this application. I

No worries - good luck!

You may be able to get an O-ring (twice the life of standard) or X-ring (twice the life of O-ring) for longevity.

Prepare to get dirty with these bikes - my local power sports spot will not touch my bike because it's not a JP bike needless to say, so far I can do a lot of stuff the shops can do now