Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2020, 07:11 PM   #1

Head Scratching CDI help

I have a 1985 Yamaha YFM Moto-4 (200cc). the CDI for it costs approx $200, but the YFM 225 runs about $40. Why? I looked at the schematics, the are nearly,(95-99%) the same. There are 1 or 2 wires that are not in the exact location, but are coming out the same component. Does anyone know why there is such a difference in pricing? Im lost! Please help, the wife and I have been staring at the same prints for hours and cant seem to figure out what is the difference.
Thank you.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:25 PM   #2

First off ,I generally hate Yamaha stuff ,the reason is they build a bike with one ignition system on it for 5 weeks ,then they come up with a new super duper trick of the week ignition system so the bikes are now built with the different system and they don’t support the 5 week system anymore ! Oh ,and of course ,2 weeks later the system undergoes another total overhaul making everything else now unsupported and obsolete .
That being said a lot of people have run China bike cdi’s on name brand bikes with a little messing around ,and they can be had for $5.00 and up so why not try one of them first ?Some of the reasons for “Junkahas” different cdi’s could be an ignition curve difference ,different stator mfg ,a different electrical feature on a bike such as electric start ,or probably another million other reasons .The plugs might also not match up but I figure if your wife can read a wiring diagram on Saturday night ,you can probably figure out how to join the wires together .

Old 09-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #3

Thank you Bruces for a quick answer. I just picked it up for a song and dance. I do own a Yami Blaster, that runs great! (2 stroker!)
I will do research to find out how to rewire it, as long as the CDI delivers the spark at the right time, who cares who makes the product.
Again, thank you. I will post the results as soon as I can!
- Just Wrenching-

Old 09-05-2020, 09:37 PM   #4

Dr ATV -Beatrice cycle has wiring pin outs for the common pit bike cdi’s that might help you if you go that way .

Old 09-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #5

Just a quick update:I found a cdi for the YFM200 for 55 bucks! Looks like the source coil is faulty. There goes another 35 bucks..maybe not such a deal after all!
-Just Wrenching-