Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2020, 09:09 PM   #16

Haven't had time today to do anything - plus the garage door opener broke last night, family member having surgery - not that important to have a pissing contest over the keyboard

I'll let everyone know about the valves in a few days..

Old 09-09-2020, 10:20 PM   #17

Here's some shots of the bike.

https://ibb.co/xGt2XvP

https://ibb.co/GPKpTxR

https://ibb.co/yBYqRyh

That should clarify some things - I don't have to remove the tank, or the top to expose the valve adjustments. I do, however, need to know what torque to apply to the caps upon re-installation. Looks to be some Black RTV sealant around the seams; as well as the torque for the valve adjustment locks. But, not too sure if a socket / torque wrench will fit. Apart from having the three bolts holding the top on, there are a few other, larger bolts that I don't know what they connect to underneath - so there's the reason for not immediately thinking valves need to be looked into and, not f*****g anything up in the process. Because I'm not able to find much on this version of Zongshen 250cc......... So, fire away. Hold steady, down range.

This video - - was the only one I was able to find.. but no mention of torque specs for what you're locking...

Old 09-09-2020, 11:19 PM   #18

Your bike pictures show an ohc engine ,not sure about your “three bolts holding the top on “you don’t need to touch anything on the engine other than those two larger caps ,which are the covers for the valve adjusters .I am living off grid at my camp ,so I can’t watch your movie ,but the picture looks correct for your engine .You don’t need a torque wrench ,just remember how snug the locknuts are when you loosen them up and tighten them the same .

Old 09-09-2020, 11:22 PM   #19

Pretty sure Jerryhawks new streetbike has the same engine in it and he probably has a thread with all the numbers and specs you need to get out into the wilds of your garage and get it taken care of .

Old 09-09-2020, 11:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
“three bolts holding the top on “
Per one of Motocheez's valve adjustment videos (pushrod) - 'only 3 bolts holding the top on, that's weird' I believe is what was said..

I was pretty certain it was OHC - thanks for clearing that up!

No worries on the vid - just basically shows what everything else does, but just through the caps.

To the wilds of my garage!

Old 09-10-2020, 02:35 AM   #21

You don't need any silicone, and there's no crazy torque setting for the valve inspection caps. There's an o-ring in each cap, you just get them snug and it's enough with a normal 24 mm (if I remember correctly, possibly 22) wrench. It's strange that there isn't any mount holding the head in place, it almost looks like it's missing.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:49 AM   #22

Your engine is a clone of the Honda CRF230f and SL230 engine. The video you posted is for your engine. The one Motcheez posted is for the CG engine. Here's a link the the Honda CRF230F to use as a guideline for the engine. https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...A8cFsAbWFh6oAz
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-10-2020, 08:17 AM   #23

The 110-125cc pitbike motors like you'll find in TaoTao kids' ATVs uses this style of adjustment as well, being they too are OHC.

I just did my kids' New Cheetah 125 (actually a 120cc if you look at the engine!).

It was cake, easier than the Hawk, which was stupid simple. Plus, it made an amazing difference in how it started and ran. Engine has 24 hours of runtime.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:12 PM   #24

Alright!

Got the valves 'felt' for the space as OneLeggedRider had suggested .002 intake - .003 exhaust.

No kidding, this is the first I've experienced the valves tighter than a virgin! S#!T!

TDC was pretty easy on the X-Pro - there's ONLY the TDC line indicator..

Thanks for the insight on that, everyone! With my tuning background for cars, the valves sounded fine from what I could tell with the stethoscope method. BUT, none of the ROMs I've tuned had Chinese engines

DECKARD CAIN! Fellow Diablo fan; hells yeah! I'm not staying a while to listen though - I'm makin' ruts, son!

Also, first 3ft air jump today! Yep, I was running my GoPro whilst jumping.. Yeah - this is WAY lighter than that monster 650GS I was used to!

Except, had to rip off (not actually rip..) the carb to set the mix (1.5 turns for now) due to SPACE.. jeez this thing has almost 0 tolerance for making adjustments...

Yep - valve caps had O-rings, were barely hanging on and pretty odd as well; I used a 13/16 knuckle buster. Perfect fit.

How many miles before the next valve adjustments? I don't go by hours.. sitting on 101mi as of today after my test run. Also read oil change is about like a car, or seems like; 3k miles? maybe 2k?

Tomorrow will be moving my residency back to VA from NV - and hopefully titling the bike.. Have seen where multiple states have denied the Hawks..... So, we'll see!

Thanks again all!

Wubba lubba dub dub!!

Old 09-10-2020, 11:25 PM   #25

I would do the valves again in a few hundred miles, after you feel like its mostly broken in. I don't know much about your engine, but I would do the oil much more often. Its so cheap...why not?

Old 09-11-2020, 12:37 AM   #26

Gotcha - thanks aaw611!

Happily enough, my Zongshen took a whole 1 quart of oil on the change; and have another quart for next time.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #27

Check the valves and change the oil again at 500, then again at 1000 miles, and after that every 1000 miles. Maybe every 2000 if you're the type to rack up alot of miles.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 09-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #28

Awesome - I'm sure I'll be cracking miles off as soon as I get registered.. DMV trip was fun - nothing more than changing my residency this time but requested for multiple services! BS!!

Got my bike on insurance, going back today at 3PM to (hopefully) at least get going with registration.. I swear DMV's are a work of satan -_-