Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #31

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Wow, you put over 30K in kms on a bike in less than a year and the dealer still replaces it?! Now that's service!

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 05-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #32

here they are sold with a 12 month unlimited km warranty

Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #33

jdnva,

What part of South Africa are you from? if you are costal, salt and humidity will wreck havoc on any vehicle that is subject to that climate. Even the best steel, and the most strick cleaning and care will still get rotted. if you do not take care of the vehicle you will have cancer set in within a matter of weeks. After a few short months your frame and anyother piece of steel that has not been taken care of will be shot.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
The engine doesnt just make VROOM VROOM sounds it moves 400-600 pounds and that puts a lot of stress on things.
My engine is an American Lifan and thus I can be absolutely sure of the quality and of course the proper exhaust note is definitely audible. MY bike was assembled by trained professionals working in a clean, safe, environment. I cannot speak for the assembly of other "gray" bikes, but am assured of the quality of my bike by its very nature as being an American Lifan. I suspect if this individual had purchased a genuine American Lifan, this problem may never have happened.

You will of course, show more respect from now on TC when addressing ZAPKIN.

8)

Old 05-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #35

ok I'll take it under advisment. :roll:

Old 05-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #36

That break looks like it's from bad welding to me, or even just bad steel. The way the metal is broken, sharp edges with a grainy look, rather lusterless and dull too, also a smaller crack running back off of the main split. Bet if you take a heavy hammer and strike the tube where it's cracked it will crack more instead of bending.
Thats not from abuse, if the frame was of the right temper, it should show some bending at the crack. The steel was too brittle.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #37

Maybe if you balanced on the back wheel while holding the front over your head you could get it to roll forward's.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #38

It is impossible to just look at a macroscopic picture of a crack and say that it is fatigue, base material flaw, or a processing problem. This type of analysis woud require a fractographic inspection under a scanning electron microscope by a qualified person. This is the only method that would allow the proper identification of the failure mechanism. Until that has been done, we really cannot say anything other than that really sucks and I hope mine holds together.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:22 AM   #39

:roll: If that section of the frame isn't brittle I'll kiss your butt. I don't know what school you went to (if any), but that break is from the steel being too brittle, I've seen enough failures of that type to know what they look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco
It is impossible to just look at a macroscopic picture of a crack and say that it is fatigue, base material flaw, or a processing problem. This type of analysis woud require a fractographic inspection under a scanning electron microscope by a qualified person. This is the only method that would allow the proper identification of the failure mechanism. Until that has been done, we really cannot say anything other than that really sucks and I hope mine holds together.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
:roll: If that section of the frame isn't brittle I'll kiss your butt. I don't know what school you went to (if any), but that break is from the steel being too brittle, I've seen enough failures of that type to know what they look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco
I smell a stink'in engineer!!!!

Old 05-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #41

[quote="knothead"]:roll: If that section of the frame isn't brittle I'll kiss your butt. I don't know what school you went to (if any), but that break is from the steel being too brittle, I've seen enough failures of that type to know what they look like.

Anytime you see a large 45 degree shear lip on a fracture surface such as this one you can be assured that it is not a brittle failure. Brittle failures have flat appearances very different from this one. I am right but you don't have to kiss my butt. Additionally, if you are interested, I have a Masters degree from an accredited university in mechanical engineering.

I think that you guys are giving this poor fellow a hard time for not maintaining and or abusing the bike when he may not have been. I am just trying to give you a metallurgical perspective. No disrespect or rudeness is intended. I'm just defending this poor guy.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #42

30,000 km for 1500.00 us, then a brand new bike, holy crap batman, I say u made out and should tell everyone that your dealer is the shiznit.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #43

[quote="Bronco"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead

Anytime you see a large 45 degree shear lip on a fracture surface such as this one you can be assured that it is not a brittle failure. Brittle failures have flat appearances very different from this one. I am right but you don't have to kiss my butt. Additionally, if you are interested, I have a Masters degree from an accredited university in mechanical engineering.

I think that you guys are giving this poor fellow a hard time for not maintaining and or abusing the bike when he may not have been. I am just trying to give you a metallurgical perspective. No disrespect or rudeness is intended. I'm just defending this poor guy.
No Sir:
I'm hard on your poor fellow for swearing on Chinariders. I don't care if his bike went through a black hole and got brittle from crossing the gallaxy in the cold of space. :evil: He could have altered his post, he didn't so I did.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizn
30,000 km for 1500.00 us, then a brand new bike, holy crap batman, I say u made out and should tell everyone that your dealer is the shiznit.
WORD!

Old 05-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #45

Between the shape and layers...and 10 years of welding and machining....I would say delamination is an issue. When you weld chances are the steel around the weld will crack long before the weld breaks.
it seems to me a crack was formed on one side and eventually spread all the way around. You can see the way the 2 halves were wearing on each other as the frame was flexing....It finally spread around enough to break.

If the steel was soft it would have bent a curled lip into one side or both as it tore away...but this seems to have sheared pretty clean...indicating hard steel....I believe that it is simply inclusions in the steel or a bad heat batch. Happens even in the finest AMERICAN and CANADIAN steel mills....It just might be more common in China as they buy scrap from all over the world for steel production... :roll:
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)